thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/13/21 5:01 p.m.

My wife is talking about replacing her 2007 Milan with something newer in the next year or so. $25k budget. She wants my help with choosing a car so we've been talking deprecated Japanese luxury for the most part.  However, we parked next to a white MK7 GTI yesterday and she thought it was pretty cool looking. Being the good husband I am, I said "GTIs are awesome and have a great DSG option and..." while she smiled and nodded. 

I see new ones go for ~$30k when you add the DSG option so I figure we should be able to find one that's a couple years old within her price range. What do we need to know about these cars? This car will be shared, and she wants an automatic so the gearbox is a must. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/13/21 7:16 p.m.

I bought my 2018 new (6MT with most options) for $26k out the door (taxes, tag, etc in that cost).

Anyhow, I wrote a review of it then and periodically since, may be of use to you: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2018-gti-initial-thoughts-after-a-week/143511/page1/

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/13/21 8:18 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Dope, thanks. I knew I'd seen a few thread but all I could remember was the about the Golf R. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/14/21 8:45 a.m.

The Mk7's are good cars, if you're buying used try and find an 18 or 19, they have a factory 6 year/72k mile bumper to bumper warranty.  My 19 R has been basically perfect, no issues with it at all.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/14/21 10:44 a.m.

Water pump failures continue to be an issue with Mk7's, so I'd look for any signs of coolant seepage / white staining around the water pump underside area.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/14/21 12:46 p.m.

I have a 2015 Mk7, bought new. $26k OTD as well, manual trans leather interior (I was a little upset my wife didn't find the plaid as charming as I did).  It's been really great- no problems except two things: #1: The battery lasts three years. Stupid. B) I had to do the water pump, and yeah, it wouldn't have been that bad of a job if I hadn't missed two pretty critical things on the reassembly- tighten the boost hoses, and that there are in fact two cam sensors- and both need to be reconnected. FCP Euro has a kit and an excellent video of the job.

Other than that- ownership has been excellent- we have 75k on it, and I'd intended to sell around now, but we will probably just keep it until my daughter drives in a couple years. It's just a spectacular car.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/21 8:52 p.m.

I think if you find one that has red lettering within the GTI badge that means it has the performance pack with LSD. 

9/14/21 9:08 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

I think if you find one that has red lettering within the GTI badge that means it has the performance pack with LSD. 

Starting in 2017 I think all of the SE and above models had the LSD, Golf R brakes, etc - but no red badge. Just look for the one with the red calipers and it should also have the LSD. 

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/15/21 10:40 a.m.

Just something to be aware of, maybe thats for late 17 cars? When I bought my 17 the LSD was still a separate option (not available on the S trim) and I have red badges.

9/15/21 6:24 p.m.
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Just something to be aware of, maybe thats for late 17 cars? When I bought my 17 the LSD was still a separate option (not available on the S trim) and I have red badges.

Maybe the 18 then.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6zaiQL6BU7EZ5waoq1j19hZmGfrYgYnQeuvmMFnxLAICBuEs8CDhdPuAcjYMIY4S