1 2
poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/10/12 4:13 p.m.

For a friend with three kids. She wants to plunk $15k on something used. I want her to lease something new. 2 of the three kids will be driving in the next 3 years. I can't seem to get this through her head.

So, Pilot? Hyundai whatevertheberkeley? CX-9?

I know, a used Mazda5 is the answer, but it CAN'T be van-esque.

I figure a $300-$350/mo. lease is right up her alley.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/10/12 4:22 p.m.

I'm not sure what the dealers are doing, or what the resale looks like this point, but a buddy has been very pleased with his Chevy Traverse. They are getting mid 20s MPG, and it is actually a pretty nice ride.

They've had it for 2 or 3 years with no troubles. It's pretty damn big inside too. (seats 7 I believe)

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/10/12 4:30 p.m.

Can't? Why not? It's the best tool for the job. Two weeks with sliding doors, and you'll never go back to hinges.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/12 4:34 p.m.

Mazda5

Gotta convince her poop!

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/10/12 4:42 p.m.

Why a lease? essentially a rental?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/12 4:49 p.m.

Especially considering 3 kids 2 learning to drive its probably going to get trashed and require hefty damages charges when it gets turned in

Javelin
7/10/12 4:54 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Why a lease? essentially a rental?

That, too. Unless you live in mguar's alternate universe, or own a business, leases are dumb.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/12 4:57 p.m.

Taurus X?

mw
mw Dork
7/10/12 5:49 p.m.

Taurus x is a good choice. She could try to find one of the rare rav4's with the 3rd row seats. Santa fe's could also be had with 3rows. Other options that worse mileage include older srx, xl7, mdx, pilot, etc. we ended up getting a v6 rav4 and are quite happy. If you can't talk her into a 5, how about a rondo?

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/10/12 7:27 p.m.

My Dad sold cars for thirty years. I am aware of what a lease is. Thanks for all of the snarky "leases are dumb" wisdom. It's incredibly helpful. Leases are good in certain situations. This is one of those situations. Just because your kids are filthy pigs doesn't mean everyone else's are. Thanks.

I could probably convince her that Miata is the answer, but convincing someone that they want something that they don't want is pretty silly and self-centered, no? She's had minivans. They had sliding doors. She doesn't want another minivan.

I'll check out the Traverse along with the others.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
7/10/12 7:37 p.m.

Could you get a Flex or a new Explorer done in that lease amount?

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/10/12 7:59 p.m.

Ford actually has some pretty awesome short-term leases going on right now. I think the Flex is abhorent, but figured I'd at least roll through the lot and let her take a look at one. Didn't realize the Exploder had a third row.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
7/10/12 8:24 p.m.

For a moment, I wasn't sure there either but it does. Figured that Ford wouldn't want to take on the 3-row market with only the Flex and the Expedition. Evidently the new Journey is massively improved over its predecessor, may also be worth a look.

Javelin
7/10/12 8:26 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

I'm honestly intrigued to know what non-business situation where a lease makes sense. No snark, no BS, I really want to know. In the 3 years I sold cars, I found none.

Rondo is a good choice. Does it have to have 3 rows, or just seat 5? Honestly most of the 5-seater only models have more space and will be better for 2 teens + kid + mom & dad versus trying to cram someone in a third row.

Javelin
7/10/12 8:27 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Didn't realize the Exploder had a third row.

The new Taurus-based one does. So does the new Durango, which is a better vehicle in every measurable way.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/10/12 9:10 p.m.

Looks to me like you can just barely get into a used CX-9 for 15k.

mw
mw Dork
7/10/12 9:19 p.m.

Rondo is available with a third row. I really liked the rental I had. I was great through about 15 miles of twisty dirt roads on the way to the grand canyon skywalk. I was 4 wheel drifting about half the time.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/10/12 9:40 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to poopshovel: I'm honestly intrigued to know what non-business situation where a lease makes sense. No snark, no BS, I really want to know. In the 3 years I sold cars, I found none. Rondo is a good choice. Does it have to have 3 rows, or just seat 5? Honestly most of the 5-seater only models have more space and will be better for 2 teens + kid + mom & dad versus trying to cram someone in a third row.

^^^

I was not attempting to imply you didn't know or be snarky. I did not understand a few things about the post like why YOU want HER to lease a car. And what the kids getting old enough to drive seems to have to do with that situation.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/10/12 10:29 p.m.

A lease is good for a couple situations:

1. You get a new car every three years anyway.
  2. You're not sure what you want exactly, and your life situation may change drastically in the next few years.

Both of these describe said friend's situation. Add in the fact that the purchase is somewhat impulsive because three kids in the back seat of her Focus are driving her berkeleying insane, but two of three said kids will be driving their own cars in three years, and the fact that she has a boyfriend who may or may not be occupying the passenger's seat a year from now, and the fact that I don't want to be the one to work on her goddamned $15,000 just out of warranty kia whatevertheberkeley, and it starts to make sense pretty goddamned quickly.

Happy, experts? Can we move on?

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/10/12 10:55 p.m.

So am i wrong in thinking id rather be driving a cx9 than an exploder, taurus X (freestyle......), traverse, xl7, MDX, pilot, journey, rondo, durango, etc?

Granted, i'd rather drive a ecoboost flex or a v6 rav4, but you cant get them for 15k and i really only prefer them based on acceleration (especially the Flex... low 14s wtf!).

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
7/11/12 6:50 a.m.

In the scenario you describe, I think the answer is whatever car she likes and can afford. Repairs/reliability aren't going to be an issue, since she's leasing and it would be under warranty the entire time. So if you're trying to convince her to lease, show her the nicest SUV/crossover/useless (sorry, not a fan of this class of vehicle) thingy that would fit her budget.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/11/12 7:43 a.m.
Vigo wrote: So am i wrong in thinking id rather be driving a cx9 than an exploder, taurus X (freestyle......), traverse, xl7, MDX, pilot, journey, rondo, durango, etc? Granted, i'd rather drive a ecoboost flex or a v6 rav4, but you cant get them for 15k and i really only prefer them based on acceleration (especially the Flex... low 14s wtf!).

I dunno. Out of those I've only driven the Pilot. @ Klayfan: Yup. The plan is just to spend an entire day looking at/driving stuff. Was just looking for some opinions on what should be at the top of the list.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/12 8:09 a.m.

As a Rondo owner, I can say it's a great car but no longer sold in the US so a lease is probably not an option. Purchasing one at $15K will get a loaded, low-mileage example. There is seating for 7 and teen kids won't have any issues with street racing. Or looking cool. Reliability has been excellent, but it is not a crossover...more of a mini-minivan.

The closest thing that I have found to the Rondo that gives AWD is the Jeep Patriot. They have 4 cylinder instead of a V6 but the HP is pretty close. They are offered in everything from FWD with a stick to serious off-road packages that are "trail rated" (According to Jeep marketing, your results may vary). They should be in the price range you want and IIRC leases are available.

BTW, The SRT version with the 425 HP V8 is awesome, but exists only in my dreams.

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork
7/11/12 8:13 a.m.

have a hyundai veracruz. great family hauler. tons of room. smooth comfortable ride. controlled body. good accelaration. decent mpg (got 24 mpg on our last trip to houston in it. and my spouse can sit fairly comfortably even in the 3rd row and she is 5'11

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/11/12 8:15 a.m.
Vigo wrote: So am i wrong in thinking id rather be driving a cx9 than an exploder, taurus X (freestyle......), traverse, xl7, MDX, pilot, journey, rondo, durango, etc?

Assuming you are talking new (which you can get a lease on), the CX9 is the same platform as the Explorer, Edge, and Flex (x isn't around anymore). they seem to drive ok...

anyway- poop- make sure she tries them out!!!! The CX9 is pretty much the exact same thing as an Edge, and I can't really imagine having a 3rd row in our truck. And having sat in the 3rd row of a similar Suzuki- the rear row is stunningly tight.

Considering how good cars are these days, it pays to shop around and find the best fit.

BTW, if a lease fits, wear it. I see no reason to justify to anyone else why we lease our Edge. It's my money, and I've done MY analysis. Same for you all.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TzyRG6MKrhhGaGOchtzkx5dzY9Cb4wNVvCTXaynfDqX6WNz9manfqToUE1EaVARf