1 2
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/26/21 8:54 a.m.

So this post is on behalf of my uncle who called me to ask me for some advice. Unfortunately my automotive knowledge doesn't extend very far into older pickup trucks.

For years hes had an old Tacoma thst finally gave in to frame rust, and he wants something basically to haul stuff and get around when it snows. He likes the idea of a 70s or 80s truck that is "simple" with a price around $5k. It will just be for basic utility not daily driving. No towing. Needs to have 4wd.

I also suggested an early Frontier in that price range but i think he likes the idea of soemthing more vintage. 

Aside from the obvious "find one that isnt rusty" what should he be looking at with that criteria in terms of engine choices or things to stay away from?

I know this is a pretty broad question but would appreciate any spitballing ideas.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/26/21 9:07 a.m.

"Vintage" will likely push the price past $5k quickly. Your probably best off to set your sights on just "old" but not vintage. This likely means 15-20 years old or 2000-2005 model year.

Single cab is the answer to cheap trucks. Everyone wants a 4 door truck and that "everyone" demand pushes the price up. Next is 4wd demand and next is V8 demand.   Also automatic has more demand than manual trans 

For $5k, I would target a 2005 F150 single cab V6 in rwd with a stick shift but you might get an auto at this price too. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/21 9:14 a.m.

He wants the old truck that everyone else wants.

Going for the six cylinder option in a fullsize will help immensely because it is worthless to snow plowers.  This means there is less fighting monetarily for the vehicle, and also means it is easier to find one vs. one that no longer exists because it rusted itself to death ten-fifteen years ago.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/26/21 9:15 a.m.

GMT800 trucks (99-06) are in this range. Probably have some rust but the mechanicals shold be good.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/26/21 9:33 a.m.

Here in SE Michigan $5K will buy you several iterations of a Canyon/Colorado, including the occasional crew cab, all about 15 years old. I even saw an ad for a 2001 Silverado 2500 4x4 with a cracked frame for $1200. Fish plate the cracked area and box the frame in the same area and send her.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/26/21 9:49 a.m.

Colorados are cheap because they have frame rust issues that make Tacomas look impervious.  I've seen them where they literally only had the four corners of the framerail left behind, the flats were gone.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/26/21 9:56 a.m.

Nicest Ranger you can find. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/26/21 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Hmmmm, that's not encouraging.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/26/21 11:12 a.m.

A nice eighties ford would be a good way to go. And for $750 you could find one in a rust free state, have it inspected at a local shop, and fly out to drive it home. They are already disappearing from the classifieds.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/seattle-1984-f150-long-bed-classic/7405857574.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/search/cta?max_price=5000&auto_make_model=F250&max_auto_year=1989

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/21 12:32 p.m.

You might be able to get an 80s Ford for around that price, but definitely not 70s.

Pretty much all Chevy trucks in that era have gone thru the roof.

Dodge still is in that price range on the 70s-80s stuff around here. Usually beaten up though

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/26/21 12:50 p.m.

+1 on GMT800 trucks.  Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra.  

There seem to be a few on CL in your price range in what looks like decent condition.  As John Welch said, the single / regular cab are the cheapest.  Love the drivetrain on these, easy to work on and they drive pretty nice.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/21 1:41 p.m.

Not to barge in, but I have just what he needs and I could be convinced to sell it.

94 Mazda B4000 (ranger).  115k, Florida truck so 95% rust free, 5 speed, pushbutton 4x4 (with recent T-case and shifter motor), and as far as I can tell, every single option you could get. Power sport seats, PW/PL, A/C.  Tons of upgrades like later Explorer wheels, fresh tires, Explorer power mirrors, lumber rack, LED lights all around, under-bedrail lighting, accessory plug in the bed, wired for brake controller, recent brakes, intake manifold gasket, brand new clutch.

It's not without flaws, but send me a PM if you're interested.  I was going to get around to making a post in for sale, but haven't yet.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
11/26/21 2:28 p.m.

I have been casually looking too, and I think you could find a 6.9 or 7.3 Ford diesel in that price range that wasn't too bad.  Early 2000s is the beginning of the transition to complicated and disposable vehicles to replace older ones that are simple enough to keep going until they are damaged beyond repair by accidents or rust.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
11/26/21 2:48 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
11/26/21 2:53 p.m.

I'd be looking hard at that B4000.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
11/26/21 2:59 p.m.

I owned an '06 Colorado from 16k mi to 100k, over the course of 6 years. Mine was a 2.8 with the 5 speed manual. The engine never needed anything during that time outside of oil changes other than a cam position sensor. The truck was rattly/noisy at 16k miles, mostly the door panels, and you could hear the transmission whirring under the tunnel at low rpm.
Mine was regular cab and had a non reclining uncomfortable bench seat which I eventually swapped out for buckets from an extended cab. Highway mpg was in the high 20s if you kept it at 65 or so.. and the 2.8 had adequate power to haul a motorcycle which is all I ever really used the bed for.. they rust like the full size gm trucks, and I'm told you don't want to service the timing chain system on the 2.8. Before covid, these were $3k trucks. Mine always got me home, and was a good daily at the time. It looks bigger than an s10, but it's legitimately small compared to the mid size trucks of today..

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/26/21 3:43 p.m.

Curtis has no reason to BS you. The worst that happens is you say no thank you .

11/26/21 4:22 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Not to barge in, but I have just what he needs and I could be convinced to sell it.

94 Mazda B4000 (ranger).  115k, Florida truck so 95% rust free, 5 speed, pushbutton 4x4 (with recent T-case and shifter motor), and as far as I can tell, every single option you could get. Power sport seats, PW/PL, A/C.  Tons of upgrades like later Explorer wheels, fresh tires, Explorer power mirrors, lumber rack, LED lights all around, under-bedrail lighting, accessory plug in the bed, wired for brake controller, recent brakes, intake manifold gasket, brand new clutch.

It's not without flaws, but send me a PM if you're interested.  I was going to get around to making a post in for sale, but haven't yet.

Okay I sent you a message let me know if you didn't get it

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/26/21 9:14 p.m.

No 70s Ford trucks in that price range that aren't rusted garbage.

80s have arguably worse rust issues but haven't yet gotten the following of the older trucks. If you take one with the bulletproof 300 six you can probably score a decent one but it won't be mint.

Currently, the real bargains are in the 90s. Those F150s survive in huge numbers. You're into EFI by then. Power output wasn't great but if all he is looking for is an occasional use truck he shouldn't mind. You can still find the 300 six in those too.

Rangers...meh. I've owned a few. For the price you can get a 90s F series that has more room and a more useable bed.

I don't like anything in the modular/Triton engine age. Horrible rusters and some problematic engine issues.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/26/21 9:45 p.m.

I towed a fair bit with a very similar B4000 and thought the truck was a very capable machine, and pretty comfortable too.

Note that Mazdas never got the SOHC version of the 4.0 that the Internet hates, they only got the pushrod motor.  (and with that, watch me get proven wrong wink )

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/27/21 7:35 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Note that Mazdas never got the SOHC version of the 4.0 that the Internet hates, they only got the pushrod motor.  (and with that, watch me get proven wrong wink )

Starting in '94, North American Mazda B Series were just Rangers with some different sheet metal. So when Rangers went to the 4.0 SOHC in 2001, the B4000 did too and kept the option until it was killed in 2009 (You asked for it wink)

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/27/21 7:47 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Ha!  I knew it!

But seriously, I was under the impression that Ford didn't want the cheaper Mazdas to get the "good" engine.  I'd never once seen a B4000 with the OHC engine, always pushrod.

That whole master/subjugated vibe they had.  Explorer/Navajo, Escape/Tribute....

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/27/21 8:35 a.m.

$5k buys what $1k bought 2 years ago. My wife's cousin called me up the other day, since I've become the family's car consult, and said "I want to find a cheap reliable truck in good shape."  I said, "Yeah, you and everyone else in the US right now." 

Curtis' truck sounds damn good considering what's out there right now. 

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
11/27/21 4:58 p.m.

Would he consider an SUV? I, too, would love a short bed, regular cab, 4x4, v8 truck, but 5k buys the absolute bottom of the barrel. Conversely, 5k buys a whole lot of GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban and even more GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. Both generations will have similar rust issues as their Silverado/Sierra counterparts, but many were only ever used as mall crawlers so are generally in better shape. 

11/27/21 9:48 p.m.
RaabTheSaab said:

Would he consider an SUV? I, too, would love a short bed, regular cab, 4x4, v8 truck, but 5k buys the absolute bottom of the barrel. Conversely, 5k buys a whole lot of GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban and even more GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. Both generations will have similar rust issues as their Silverado/Sierra counterparts, but many were only ever used as mall crawlers so are generally in better shape. 

No he uses it mostly to haul big amounts of yard waste and things like that so SUV is right out. 

He is going to touch base with Curtis on the Mazda and then if he doesn't get that I'll be back in here lol.

As someone who personally owns two SUVs and has a pickup bed trailer, I did drop that suggestion to him but he wasn't really interested

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kJpPu5AOL8WDbcAjhf5euF4ZcdKKtZJnI9bRJubck4Nvt1IM2eZ8ZBAcwwO20NPp