Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/29/21 1:51 p.m.

Had a little Oopsie yesterday. In the past I have tried paint pens and rarely do they ever match up even remotely. Is there a good company that I can get a good paint pen that will do a great job of matching the paint? It is marble white from Mazda. Even the Mazda Pen sucked.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/29/21 2:23 p.m.

Go to your favorite auto paint supplier, get them to mix up a sample size pot and actually match it to your car, then dab on with a toothpick/small sponge. You can use a pen to clear over top of that.

Something a lot of people don't realize is that your paint has aged, and factory fresh stuff of the exact same formula hasn't. Bodywork often involves blending colors so a freshly sprayed panel matches the old stuff right next to it.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/29/21 2:25 p.m.

I quit using paint pens several years ago, they just never matched up right.

For chips and scratches, I use the DR Colorchip system now for paint match, time and money.

Countingcrowbars
7/29/21 4:13 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

I'm skeptical on this working. Neat idea, but how do you prevent the solvent from melting the old paint? And how close is the new paint to the old? The video showed a LOT of directors cuts. This is a red flag on most products. What didn't they show?

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
7/30/21 12:45 a.m.

The best luck I have had has been applying liquid touch-up paint with a fine paintbrush or toothpick. It's a very delicate process, the key is to apply a drop to the surface and gently use the tip of the brush to spread the paint around, only touching the drop, not the surface below. The paint I used had clear in it, so it was a one-step process.

Professional detailers will use a syringe or fine paint applicator pen that does the same thing, only difference is they have a built-in reservoir so you don't have to dip.

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Label-Detailing-Applicator-Construction/dp/B07N95TXM8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=paint+touch+up+tool&qid=1627624200&sr=8-2

The Dr Colorchip method will give great results with the proper application, it's difficult to get correct though.

Countingcrowbars
7/30/21 11:24 a.m.

In reply to c0rbin9 :

Thanks that's neat

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EQor0XD0XzUDtzday0QAjmFDC9YJ8ILz9PHV3hdYQrZ1DYNCXzZhJPMCf1UkTV2w