sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/29/14 12:44 a.m.

I found this on my local Craigslist, and I think I'm going to go check it out. I told the guy the price was too high, and $1500 would be a better starting point. He said that sounded good, so maybe I can even talk him down below a grand! I'm a sucker for vintage Japanese, and I love the look of these (especially the taillights), but I don't know a whole lot specifically about them. What should I look for if I go check this thing out? I'm looking for a solid DD that I can drive to work (8 miles a day, including coming home for lunch), autocross occasionally, and throw my son's seat in the back so we can have some fun father/son time. Not sure if this is the best idea, a project isn't in the cards right now, but hopefully some of you know more about these than I do!

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4382866178.html

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/29/14 12:51 a.m.

I would pay what he is asking if I had the money. I can't remember the last time I found one of those for sale.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
3/29/14 6:52 a.m.

No. You are supposed to be looking for an F2T powered car.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/29/14 7:40 a.m.

$1500 would be a steal, if it is that clean.

Timing chains go at between 200 and 300K. Replace the one in there proactively and use metal timing chain guide rails (available in the aftermarket) and it will run forever.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/29/14 8:06 a.m.

That's a GT, so it won't have the cool seats, fender flares, etc. It is a 22R-E in a 2600lb car; they get around fine but aren't terribly dramatic to drive. I had a GT-S convertible in high school, it was neat and a good cruiser but not much of a sports car. Sold it on due to rust.

There is a member here building one of these for auto-x but I can't remember off hand who it is...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/29/14 10:29 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Yeah, I was reading through his build thread last night. His is a GT too, so that's encouraging. I don't mind it not being a GT-S. It just looks too cool to pass up if I can get it cheap.

I do want a FT2 car though...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/14 10:32 p.m.

I saw an 84 ST with a bit of rust at Home Depot today. I can't remember the last time I saw one in the wild.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/29/14 10:45 p.m.

Why does he talk about paint and sheet metal, then talk about the rust issues?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/29/14 11:17 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Not really sure. He said he would send me some pics of the rust on the door and the trunk--get this, he said he got home from work yesterday and it got towed so he has to get it back and has to wait till Monday. Haha...he doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. He said it was completely repainted, though. I think I would only jump on it if it's less than a grand. I like it, but not enough to pay more than that. Who knows, maybe it'll be a total turd in person!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/30/14 8:07 a.m.

Can someone explain the RA64 vs RA65 thing? I thought this was a 65, but maybe it's a 64...not sure how that works.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
3/30/14 6:48 p.m.

Hmmm, RA65 I'm pretty sure would be the GT-S model with the flairs, and "supra" wheels. The solid axle car is actually a far better car... because you can use much of the AE86 aftermarket to outfit the car...

as far as engine choices... you have a few options... easiest, simplest... find a mid 90s Tacoma with 5 speed and take the engine, wiring, and ancillaries.

Sexiest would be to get a BEAMs(3SGE) and a 6 speed(ebaY), add the LEEN shifter relocation kit and all you need is mounts

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/30/14 8:03 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

Honestly, a good tune up/engine maintenance, springs/shocks, and tires would be all I would go for probably (I say that now, haha). Just a fun daily driver that has some character and I can auto-x a couple times a year. It would scratch my vintage Japanese itch without being too project car-ish, I think. I probably won't be able to see it until next weekend, assuming the guy gets it back from the towing company by then.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
3/30/14 9:58 p.m.

Updated version, which is the one you posted, looks best. I however like the hatchback version more than the notchback. Hidden light wedge cars look ugly to me with a notchback. Find a GT-S if you can they are amazing looking IMO.

They are not unfindable however this car on it's own looks great and is 80s J car coolness so if you really want one and don't want to find a GT-S it's an awesome find.

Lots of engine swap options. 3T-GTE is a JDM turbo engine that should bolt in if you can find one as it came OEM on these cars. Having one of those would be in the pro level of JDM Y0 points. Only thing a higher tier in nerd points than that would be to find the TA64 engine, Group B engine that was in homologation special cars, that would be amazing but your not finding that.

If you want to turbo the stock engine it's been done 1000s of times. I think there is even megasquirt pnp for it.

I think this car is my favorite old-school toyota, i am jealous. Facelift car especially....

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/30/14 10:51 p.m.

In reply to kanaric:

I actually prefer the notchback with these Celicas, since the Supras are hatchback--kind of distinguishes them from each other I think. Those rear lights just do it for me for some reason. This isn't my dream car, but if the price is right and it's solid it might be hard to pass up. A back seat, simple design (esp with solid rear axle), 5 speed, reliable (in theory), and vintage Japanese to boot! What's not to like?

I'll keep everyone posted if I'm able to check it out. If I don't go for it I'll post it up here in the classifieds. Any more info anyone can give me is welcome too, especially on specific things to check for/look at if I go see it.

japclassic84
japclassic84 New Reader
7/1/15 6:58 p.m.

Body codes, ra64 is a hatchback, ra65 is a coupe. I have an 84 ra65 st coupe.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
7/1/15 9:04 p.m.

WROOONNNNGGG! Take it from somebody that has been auto crossing his ra64 for two years now. The ra64 is solid rear axle, the same 6.7 diff that came in the ae86. It can only be the ST or GT model. It has no flairs like the gts. The gts is a ra65. It has rear independent suspension designed by lotus. Before you wet your trousers, that suspension sucks. It's nowhere near as fast as the solid axle gt. the gts is heavier, and the instant you lower it, the geometry goes into the floor. I swapped gts seats into my gt. they both came with the 22re. The pre 85 cars had less power and a simple efi setup. 1985 (the last year they made that chassis) was the fastest. It had tccs efi. And was torquey. Techno toy tuning has the hookup on everything for suspension. LC engineering has all the motor bits you could want. That being said, the 22re should not be built unless you want to run in a certain class. But don't fret, the 22re puts the STANK on any of the cars in the class I run. It's got more torque than every 4cyl Honda ever made. Seriously. Ok, maybe not the K series. But seriously, even the s2k has less torque to weight ratio. They all came with the venerable w58 transmission (that's right, the same trains that was used in 4x4's, mk4 supras, is300, etc. and seriously versatile. There are a crazy amount of engines that bolt to it, Toyota or not. Buy this car, it'll change the way you think. It's seriously the most under appreciated Toyota ever. Also- join celicagts.com. I'm a member. Swan song it my name there.

japclassic84
japclassic84 New Reader
9/1/15 8:51 a.m.

YIKES! I have one sittin here and IM WRoNG!!! 84 ra64 st coupe ! Trans code and rear gear lsd code are on a i.d. Plate on the firewall.

japclassic84
japclassic84 New Reader
9/1/15 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Sorry man! Im just now learning the details of mine! Been sitting forever and im just now digging into it!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/1/15 1:34 p.m.

Great. Now I want one of these two. Thanks a lot!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
9/1/15 5:37 p.m.

Man, that is clean!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ovUkq3sDv07tAwO0zyOSFp6xrmQxSNw3E8gFGdzZLO0hzCKoY2zGj4HILnHlaCrD