1 2
_
_ HalfDork
10/18/19 2:31 p.m.

It's slow. Ok, got that out of the way. Now we can move on the the stuff I care about. Looking at one of these for a slow track/autcrosser. 6spd for tighter ratios. 1,800lbs. About 98hp with the 1.3. 

so why not? 

_
_ HalfDork
10/18/19 2:32 p.m.

Berkeley me. Title was supposed to say "IQ", not "IM". 
scion IQ is the subject folks. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/18/19 2:36 p.m.

Bear in mind, they are excluded from competition in some classes due to the short wheelbase/rollover risk. So make sure you clear that up with the groups you run in before committing to the idea.

Some close friends of ours have one. Long story short: meh. They only came as a CVT in the US and it is an absolutely dismal CVT. I do see that a 6-speed was available outside of the US for some engines but I don't know if they're swappable with any ease.

_
_ HalfDork
10/18/19 2:38 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Just read about the CVT only crap. Oh well, onto the next. I was trying to find a cheap "Kei" car in the USA without buying a Japanese only import (for parts availability.) can't pick up a kei import for less than 10k. 

anything newer, USA sold, and less than 7k in the "kei" category? 

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
10/18/19 2:42 p.m.

What about a Toyota Yaris? It's a bit bigger than a kei car, but still quite small/light. I'm not sure about the USA, but we got the 2-door versions here in Canada.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/18/19 2:43 p.m.

Ford Festiva might not be quite small enough to qualify, but it's pretty small. And pretty slow...but people BP swap them to be faster.

_
_ HalfDork
10/18/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to mainlandboy :

Definitely on the list. 

_
_ HalfDork
10/18/19 2:45 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

On the list too, but I don't want to do any engine swapping. Run it as is. I had a buddy that rebuilt his festiva engine on a picnic table. He also removed it by himself (burly Viking genetics). So that's appealing. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/18/19 2:46 p.m.
mainlandboy said:

What about a Toyota Yaris? It's a bit bigger than a kei car, but still quite small/light. I'm not sure about the USA, but we got the 2-door versions here in Canada.

_
_ HalfDork
10/18/19 2:58 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Oh god, why did you do this to me... must have. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/18/19 3:24 p.m.
_ said:

Oh god, why did you do this to me... must have. 

It's ok, I did it to myself too!

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/18/19 3:31 p.m.

Well that's a nice looking yaris.

There's also the Fiesta. I think those are creeping around the $7k mark finally.

Or a Matrix XRS/Vibe GT with the 2ZZ.

The Fit is pretty small from what I remember when I test drove one, but I drive a big 5 series wagon.

Can't think of any other pretty small cars that will be cheap and decent to look at it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/18/19 3:39 p.m.

Mazda 2 I think is as close as you will get.  The newer Yaris iA is a Mazda 2 in sedan form and I see some on Cars.com for 8k.  

Both of these are right on the edge of track width:height for autocrossing, but they are legal.  I have not heard stories of these on 2 wheels unlike the Fiesta ST, but I am sure its possible.  My first step would be to lower the car.  

They are light and on 4x100 and 23" tires, which is a win for cheap consumables.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/19 3:47 p.m.

I'm disappointed in the general dissatisfaction with the IQ, as at first blush it would seem to have the potential both to be fun and practical. Possibly the ultimate vehicle for dense urban environs. But no, it would appear that they whiffed.

_
_ HalfDork
10/18/19 3:47 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The mother-in-law has a Toyota I a. It's an automatic, but when you put it in sport mode and manually shifted it's actually not too bad. Not sure if the transmission is a CVT though

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
10/18/19 4:04 p.m.

Aston Martin Cygnet.  Do it a lookup.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/19 4:05 p.m.
_ said:

In reply to pointofdeparture :

can't pick up a kei import for less than 10k. 

Honda Beat are definitely at the $7k pricepoint in TX. Not sure where you are located. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
10/18/19 4:14 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Mazda 2 I think is as close as you will get.  The newer Yaris iA is a Mazda 2 in sedan form and I see some on Cars.com for 8k.  

Both of these are right on the edge of track width:height for autocrossing, but they are legal.  I have not heard stories of these on 2 wheels unlike the Fiesta ST, but I am sure its possible.  My first step would be to lower the car.  

They are light and on 4x100 and 23" tires, which is a win for cheap consumables.

Mazda2 is probably the right answer. $1-2k of bilstein coilovers, a rear sway bar, and brake pads and they actually drive really well including being competent and fairly fun to autocross (as long as you can tolerate the throttle pedal not being connected to anything). And still make a good street car. Higher mileage used ones should be basically free by now, but beware that the base model didn't get cruise control so you need the higher trim model. Fiestas aren't legal for autocross in stock form, but applying the same parts as for the mazda2 should get similar results in a car with a little more power and a nicer interior, but heavier and probably not quite as cheap.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/19 4:20 p.m.

In reply to cdeforrest :

Kinda hard to come by. None of the 300 seem to have shown up on Craigslist. Especially not the one they made with the V8.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
10/18/19 5:15 p.m.

Oh, maybe a Mitsubishi Mirage? There has to be a few manuals around here in America- and since they're so plentiful (and are Mitsu's) they've gotta have SOME aftermarket.

I also vote MR-S, though the prices are WACK here in the Midwest. I don't think i've ever seen one for less than 4 grand, though each one was listed for months at a time...

cdeforrest said:

Aston Martin Cygnet.  Do it a lookup.

^ +1

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/19 6:00 p.m.

Just remember the secret life of a Yaris :

Meet the Yaris Cup Car

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
10/18/19 6:15 p.m.

How much is a 500 Abarth going for these days?

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/19 6:21 p.m.

Surprised I haven't seen the Fiat 500 Abarth yet as a tiny 2 box handling car.

I know in SCCA Solo the non-Abarth 500 models are banned.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/18/19 6:39 p.m.
Mike said:

To me a 500, even Abarth is about the closest you can get to a Reliant Robin on the autox course.  I'm very surprised these are allowed.

Note that this one was lowered also:

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/19 6:44 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Mike said:

To me a 500, even Abarth is about the closest you can get to a Reliant Robin on the autox course.  I'm very surprised these are allowed.

Wow. Ouch.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wt4vXwzaaDbFVT4VLltsiDGhrwFi12iUDOOadfe3trPZl2WLWnMb0o9Sn9MUnN2x