1 2 3 4
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/12/23 1:23 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
DirtyBird222 said:

I clicked on this thread hoping to give Odyssey advice.

After reading through 3 pages, I've realized I need an express van. 

Oddy and Sienna are for responsible families - this thread is occupied by none of those demographics cheeky

This thread is the poor version of Nick Cannon.

Ah I am not responsible. I would have more kids if I wasn't divorced. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/12/23 1:41 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

Ah I am not responsible. I would have more kids if I wasn't divorced. 

Then welcome to the club!  yes

Marriage or Divorce are unrelated to having baby mommas devil Ask Shawn Kemp, Dwight Howard....Tristan Thompson

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
1/13/23 10:30 a.m.

I have a 2008 e 350. Great work van, i carry my welder and tools in it. I'm thinking about getting e 150 badges for it.

Last week on a rainy night the serpentine belt failed 5 miles from home. I made it another 2 miles before it was getting hot. I park in a liquor store parking lot and let it cool but don't have enough battery power to start it. I didn't want to leave my tools at the liquor store overnight so i get it towed. $250 for 3 miles. The driver told me they charge more for a 1 ton van than a 1/2 ton van. E 150 would have been $125. Something to consider if you dont need the extra capacity

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/13/23 10:34 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

Interesting! As much as I want a 3500/350, I just need to carry passengers. I am sure a 150/1500 is fine for me as long as there is seating 

I was looking at the nissan 5.6 v8, last nihht in the 3500. Seems lots of ool consumption issues in the NV and Titan. I wonder the 4.0 V6 if it is better in the NV from reliability stand point? Personally I wouldn't buy a Nissan - but options are limited 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/23 10:02 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Yes, 1/2 ton will probably do, but take a real look at the GVWR.  Many 1/2 tons are at or near overloaded with 8 passengers and a full tank of gas.  There is a reason why you're not finding a ton of passenger 1/2 tons.  The market for passenger vans is skewed toward moving lots of people; churches, school transport, commercial stuff.  Being a few pounds over the limit for you and the family is one thing.  Being overweight while operating under a P-license is big trouble.  You can find 8-pass vans in 1/2 ton (that's what mine is) but I've never seen anything over 8-pass as a 1/2 ton.

It's also why so many conversion vans are only 4-7 passenger capacity.  Until they get the extra frilly stuff in the fancy van, a 1/2 ton conversion is almost at it's limit with more than a couple people in it.

Just keep in mind that you're starting with an exceptionally heavy vehicle, so don't be afraid to expand the search to 3/4.  The upside is that you'll get brakes and chassis components that last waaay longer for only a tiny penalty in ride quality, and a beefier trans to boot.  Truth be told, I wish mine were a 3/4.  Even with just me and all of the back seats out, it's a floaty marshmallow.  Turns require a certain... finesse.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/23 10:05 p.m.

Plus, I should add.... the distinction between 3/4 and 1 ton vans is pretty academic.  The only difference between my E250 and my E350 was the spring rate.  Everything else was the same except some little things like alternator amps and radiator size.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/13/23 10:44 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

$250 vs $150 seems enough reason to put E150 badges on it!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
3/8/23 3:07 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Yes, 1/2 ton will probably do, but take a real look at the GVWR.  Many 1/2 tons are at or near overloaded with 8 passengers and a full tank of gas.  There is a reason why you're not finding a ton of passenger 1/2 tons.  The market for passenger vans is skewed toward moving lots of people; churches, school transport, commercial stuff.  Being a few pounds over the limit for you and the family is one thing.  Being overweight while operating under a P-license is big trouble.  You can find 8-pass vans in 1/2 ton (that's what mine is) but I've never seen anything over 8-pass as a 1/2 ton.

It's also why so many conversion vans are only 4-7 passenger capacity.  Until they get the extra frilly stuff in the fancy van, a 1/2 ton conversion is almost at it's limit with more than a couple people in it.

Just keep in mind that you're starting with an exceptionally heavy vehicle, so don't be afraid to expand the search to 3/4.  The upside is that you'll get brakes and chassis components that last waaay longer for only a tiny penalty in ride quality, and a beefier trans to boot.  Truth be told, I wish mine were a 3/4.  Even with just me and all of the back seats out, it's a floaty marshmallow.  Turns require a certain... finesse.

I have ddriven a nice red 3500. Should have bought it. CHecked all the boxes. Had slding door too. Kicking myself for 2 years for it. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
4/5/23 3:56 p.m.

Can anybody comment on the reliability of the 4.8 Chevy V8 vs the 6.0 V8 in the express vans?

Found a dealer that seems have 3-4 of these at all times, with the sliding door. 

Nissan NV is out - aside from oil consumption issues, tons of problems with rear AC vents and not blowing. Don't want to deal with that.  Back to Express/Econoline, even though no headrest. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
4/24/23 2:23 p.m.

Found this local. Any thoughts?

210K miles

1 Owner

All records

Ford E350

Sliding door

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
8/31/23 11:56 a.m.

Back at it.. DAAJIBAN time? 

sliding door. Askign 5K. 

5.2 V8. 130K miles.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
8/31/23 12:03 p.m.

Need to learn suspension on it.... but purchaes is first step. https://omgpancakes.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/dajiban/

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
8/31/23 9:00 p.m.

Definitely go drive it first. I'm tall (6'3" all torso) and the Dodge van I drove had some pretty weird ergonomics for me. I had to rest my left foot on the wheel well while driving. Not exactly comfortable on long trips. The side windows are also really small. The one I drove was also pretty scary on the freeway, but that was probably just bad tie rods or something. 

I love the way they look as Dajibans though! And that one looks nice.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/31/23 9:29 p.m.
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
8/31/23 9:49 p.m.

Well Dajiban was a bust. Drove horrendous,  paperwork lies, just won't work for me. SIGH

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/2/23 10:08 a.m.

Darn. Good luck as your search continues.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/2/23 12:25 p.m.

I never really did like the way my B2500 went down the highway despite freshening the suspension comprehensively. If i don't go to a new-generation van it'll be an Econoline next time.

It'll also definitely be a 250 or 350. Spending a few band trips bobbing and weaving in an E150 removed my interest in half-tons.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/4/23 11:37 a.m.

I am gonna give up for abit. This is too tiresome where I live.  

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
9/4/23 12:08 p.m.

The very end of econoline production had the e150-e350 vans sharing the larger brakes etc. not saying the gvw was higher just that they had the 8lug wheels etc, springs brakes .

might be able to do one of those, probably still stupid expensive however.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PRwQJk8pbeyO0eaXuLo8zIJdIVBg9YsAbJUeg7RqzNY3IdfNDBwI8TdAvW2VZWQQ