The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
3/18/22 11:11 a.m.

Story by Paul Eklund

So you’re a pretty good rallycross driver. You can handle the ruts with panache, and you look pretty good out there during those 85-second runs. 

And yeah, you can best all your buddies, but you still can’t seem to catch the top guns in your class. They must have spent a bunch of money on go-fast …

Read the rest of the story

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
1/6/23 7:42 p.m.

Ah, yes.....the nut behind the wheel...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/23 7:44 p.m.

Brakes at a rallycross? smiley

Half in jest... slowing down is usually accomplished by setting the chassis for a corner, by the time you get it to rotate in you have slowed enough.  At least for us slow guys.

I count as memorable the events I have been to where I needed to slow down over and above chassis-setting requirements.  Which, introspectively, is probably why I don't do so hot at them.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/6/23 8:37 p.m.

Easy for Paul to say, with his 100+ stage rally starts ;)

IDK where the rest of you run, but some of our courses are way to big and hilly walk them unless you're really looking for a cardio workout. That's why Pete and Evan brought a moped when they came to visit lol. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/6/23 8:42 p.m.

North TX does 3 parade laps to learn the course.  I really like this method.  And as for brakes, I use them to rotate the car and set it up for the next turn.  There are very few spots where I ever use the brakes hard to slow down.  And Paul is right, make sure the car is pointed straight when you do!  In a Subaru if you hit the brakes hard with the front wheels turned the rear will start rotating even faster than the front end is.  Once you hammer the brakes those front tires dig in and the rear end gets super light and the rear tires will start sliding fast.  It's fun if you can control it, embarrassing if you cannot. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/23 9:10 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Evan brought a moped. Pete brought failure, and a leafblower originally to clean the car out, but MAN it was useful when working course.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
glRQBVuI980rNrR3zl1fOfvGMSppmjNxgm2m2h8ZLU2zDXJ1euIiFN2aZBgVbosa