1 2 3
APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/21 1:46 p.m.

I had a professional welder show me how to gas weld but my MIG welding training consisted of my Snap-On dealer taking about 20 minutes to show me the basics before I welded up the cage for my first race car.  By the time I was done I pretty much had the hang of it.  Fortunately, we never tested that cage to see how bad my first welds were. 

I don't recommend that approach but  if you're someone who learns well on one's own then MIG welding is certainly something that you can learn without a class.  Both Lincoln and Miller have good instructional guides available and there are plenty of books and YouTube videos.

My two main bits of advice are.

1. Before laying a bead make sure you're as comfortable as possible though the path of the bead and that you can see the whole bead
  2. If things aren't going as expected stop and fix the problem before continuing.  Don't just keep going hoping things will improve.

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
1/13/22 11:00 a.m.

Just want to resurrect this thread as I'm getting much closer to purchasing my first MIG welder, a Hobart Handler 140. I plan on purchasing a 75/25 Argon/CO2 mixture as I've read thats the best all around mix. Anyone have recommendations on good suppliers to get gas from in Southeastern PA that won't break the bank? Also, what size should I look into getting? I've read either 80 or 125 is typical for the hobbyist welder.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
1/13/22 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Japanspec :

C25 is the accepted MIG all-arounder from my understanding (and what I use). Sooooo, I went overkill and got a BIG bottle, but I've never been stuck without gas. Though the upfront cost was brutal, I got mine through tractor supply - up front cost sucks, but then switching cylinders was only ~40.00. 

Also interested in others gas recommendations, I'm looking at starting to do TIG and would need an argon cylinder.

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
1/13/22 3:47 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

I had no idea TSC sold gas. I will have to check them out. I have an airgas here too, not sure if they're any good though. Seeing mixed experiences through google search.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
1/14/22 2:01 p.m.

Northern tool sells gas too. That's who I use -  nice to be able to buy evenings and weekends. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/14/22 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Japanspec :

I did. But then I'd been gas and stick welding for years. 

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
1/15/22 4:26 p.m.
sevenracer said:

Northern tool sells gas too. That's who I use -  nice to be able to buy evenings and weekends. 

Unfortunately, no Northern Tool stores near me. Seems like they aren't here in the Northeast.

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
1/15/22 4:29 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to Japanspec :

C25 is the accepted MIG all-arounder from my understanding (and what I use). Sooooo, I went overkill and got a BIG bottle, but I've never been stuck without gas. Though the upfront cost was brutal, I got mine through tractor supply - up front cost sucks, but then switching cylinders was only ~40.00. 

Also interested in others gas recommendations, I'm looking at starting to do TIG and would need an argon cylinder.

Question, how much did you pay up front at TSC? I just checked and they want $460 for JUST a 125 cylinder; no gas included. Fill ups look to be $65.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/22 5:38 p.m.

Call your local welding supply house that is not AirGas. I get my 125cf Argon refilled for $42 at Ace Welding Supply here in lovely Wixom MI. My local AirGas wanted $120 for exchange.

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
1/17/22 12:20 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Call your local welding supply house that is not AirGas. I get my 125cf Argon refilled for $42 at Ace Welding Supply here in lovely Wixom MI. My local AirGas wanted $120 for exchange.

Thanks, I will try and find one here. Hopefully I can find a good price.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/23 10:47 a.m.

canoe

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2YLJN2j0Gi3tBb4UofOLKVKEwTfY1ugn16euZzjQKOpYFCIFeOMsARTlLZHBm4cd