Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/17/21 8:55 a.m.
feature_image

Few individuals became as synonymous with the Nürburgring as Sabine Schmitz, who passed away yesterday after a lengthy cancer illness, She was 51.

Schmitz may have been best known for her work as a Nürburgring Ring Taxi driver and appearances on programs like "Top Gear"—first as a guest and later as a host. She also enjoyed a successful racing career, securing two victories …

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/21 10:24 a.m.

I am gutted. I just loved everything this amazing woman has done and achieved, she was such a talent and ambassador for the sport.  This just plain sucks.

sir_mike
sir_mike New Reader
3/17/21 10:30 a.m.

Sad day for motorsports....you will be missed....RIP dear lady

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/17/21 10:30 a.m.

Fricking horrible

You felt like you knew her.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/17/21 11:00 a.m.

What can we as a community do to honor her legacy? GRM has a close working relationship with The Firm, can we establish a scholarship to the firm for a female driver who embodies sportsmanship and is an ambassador to the sport? 

For it to be sustainable, it would likely need to have some marketing value. IE a corporate sponsorship in addition to exposure for the firm. Possibly drivers running decals in order to be eligible, which would raise awareness and promote to scholarship and it's partners. In addition GRM staff could provide a crash course in producing press releases to promote themselves and the series in which they compete (in addition to being a driving force in promoting the cause and ensuring that it strives to promote driver diversity and is not sexualized). 

Big picture, I'd love to see this happen.

Short term, how about an Iracing enduro at the ring in the slowest vehicle imaginable. Entry fee of $40 per a driver and 100% of proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/17/21 1:39 p.m.

Horrible news.  It was always on my bucket list to do a lap with her at the ring.  Heart breaking. 

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
3/17/21 1:48 p.m.

Damn. That sucks.

f1carguy
f1carguy New Reader
3/17/21 1:56 p.m.

I am deeply saddened by Sabine's passing. The German motor sports world has lost one of the nicest, fun and talented driver ever.

I hate 2020 and the corona virus because I had planned to visit friends in the Eifel and drive on the ring. My best friend's brother is a master forest ranger in that area. Again – don't put off what you can do today.

Sabine will be missed. RIP.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/21 2:00 p.m.

Posting so the threads can be linked as there are comments from others over here >>https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-ring-has-lost-her-queen/182039/page1/

Txsilverbalt
Txsilverbalt New Reader
3/17/21 2:26 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

How about a campaign in her honor?

You take a lap around the 'ring in your simulator of choice (or the real thing if you're able) and donate the 25-30 euros (the actual cost of a lap around the ring) to cancer research.

Also love the idea of the worlds slowest endurance race

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
3/17/21 3:53 p.m.

How about we just remember her. No "Jesus we have to do SOMETHING!"

just remember her folks. There are way too many "causes" these days. Not everything needs a crusade. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
3/17/21 5:17 p.m.

Lang lebe die Königin.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
3/17/21 8:01 p.m.

This is terrible news, freaking cancer taking another

I remember her in that van episode on TG, and I hoped to go back to The Ring and meet her, get a ride along or something. Another bucket list item that wont ever happen for me.

My thoughts go out to her friends and family

KentF (Forum Supporter)
KentF (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/17/21 9:47 p.m.

A great loss for all motorsport. A greater loss for her family and friends. Prayers to you all.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/17/21 9:59 p.m.

"I could beat you in a van."

I'll never forget that. broken heart

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/17/21 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

Because if you admire and respect someone, then they actually challenge you to become a better version of yourself...

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/17/21 11:38 p.m.

She was cool, and a damn good driver.  Cancer sucks

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
3/18/21 6:12 a.m.

Lovely lady, very nice in person too. Still totally normal, no diva/star behavior at all just really cool and nice. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/18/21 6:58 a.m.

I tried unsuccessfully to book a ride with her on the ring taxi on my frequent trips to Germany.  She represented equality and a fierce love of motorsport.  I'm heartened to see the outpouring of respect for her across all my various motorsport forums.  She made an impact.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/18/21 8:55 a.m.

I think I've seen a petition to get a corner of the Nordschleife named after her.  I think it's been 30-40 years since the last time a corner was named.  I'll see if I can dig it up.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/18/21 12:53 p.m.
CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
3/18/21 3:45 p.m.

I feel sad, ugh. I’d like to see a corner named after her.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N1EFCZXEu17IVNoN3Zf76VVSpz4jrV2LbrxT4ERIU7jNO22x0V6lCY0yHlP4KcUk