PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
3/6/17 9:04 a.m.

I’ve done a few Lemons races and would like to improve our in car radio setup. I’ve tried Midland and Baofeng radios but would like to try something different. I’ve found a few different PTT walkie talkie apps for my phone. My thought is I can mount the phone in the car and adapt it to our in car radio harness. Then I can have rest of the team download the app and we can use all our phones to communicate. Hopefully this would solve our crowded channels and range issues.

In order to make this work I need to find the right adapter. The in car harness has a 5 pin TA5F connector and my phone needs a 3.5mm TRRS jack. I bought a Vertex radio jumper like the one below but the pinout was different from my phone.

The pinout is like the one on the right but I need the ground a mic swapped like the one on the left. I tried cutting and soldering the adapter I had but the wires were really small and hard for me to work with.

Does anyone know of a cable or adapter that I could use? Maybe all I need is a CTIA to OMTP adapter?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/6/17 9:29 a.m.

LINK

or Link

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/6/17 10:08 a.m.

I thought this would be about utilizing a built in car phone. Slightly disappointed.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/6/17 10:13 a.m.

As to the original query, you can build your own adapter. Buy a male and female plug, some 4 line cable and swap over the ground and mic connections. When I had to replace the cord on some senheisers I mixed up my left and right channels. Simple work with soddering iron.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
3/6/17 10:58 a.m.

I teched a few Lemons races. Don't know how it is now, but used to be you could use a pit board in lieu of radios. The most effective communication device I ever saw was a little box sitting right in front of the driver, probably lifted from an R/C car, that had a small plastic penis on a wire arm. The guys in the pits could, when required, raise the little plastic penis into the driver's line of vision. The message was, of course, "you're driving like a dick."

I laughed so hard when they showed this to me in Tech that I couldn't catch my breath for several minutes and had to sit on the ground.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
3/19/21 8:45 a.m.

Our radio quit working once, so I connected my ear buds to my phone. They just called me when it was time to change drivers.  I could not talk to them but it served the purpose.  

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
3/19/21 8:53 a.m.
Basil Exposition said:

I teched a few Lemons races. Don't know how it is now, but used to be you could use a pit board in lieu of radios. The most effective communication device I ever saw was a little box sitting right in front of the driver, probably lifted from an R/C car, that had a small plastic penis on a wire arm. The guys in the pits could, when required, raise the little plastic penis into the driver's line of vision. The message was, of course, "you're driving like a dick."

I laughed so hard when they showed this to me in Tech that I couldn't catch my breath for several minutes and had to sit on the ground.

Thank you to whatever canoe necro-bumped this thread to bring this gem to the top. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/19/21 10:22 a.m.

In reply to newrider3 :

Dang, that beats me and JG using an umbrella as a pit signal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r56g93Zo0jCGum1L6cptUNn9eiHU2FDXPvPGLu05Y2NucYzE8n9v7L98COys7paM