chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
1/29/16 2:17 p.m.

I know the challenge is the preferred crap car race here but I found out that there is a 24 hrs of lemons race at barber Motorsports in Alabama which is only 2ish hours away. I've always want to race at barber (I hear great things) but have never had the chance, so what should I expect? I have daydreams of bringing some tools and old Miata parts I need to give away to possibly help some teams but I don't know if that's a possibility or if I'll even get to walk down to the pits. So grm, what should I expect or should even bother going to see the race?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/29/16 2:29 p.m.

I hit up a couple Lemons events last year for the first time. I was a spectator, watching my buddies (and Challenge veterans) race. Here's what I thought:

-Bring lots of tools, and if you are racing, lots of spares. You'll need them. Anything that can fail usually will. Remember, you are turning laps in a complete crap can. Stuff will break!

-Bring lots of food and drinks for you and your crew. Eating at the track can be expensive, so plan ahead. If you can bring a grille, do it.

-Make sure you have an approved way of getting around the paddock. I brought a skateboard to my first event, and I ended up having to walk because the track banned skateboards in the paddock. Next race, I brought a bike. That was a much better choice! Things can happen in a hurry, so if a teammate needs a part quick, you can get there faster.

-Have an open mind. Lemons people are weird! You never know what you are going to see and/or smell. Lemons people for the most part are friendly and awesome, so go and chat with people and make some connections. Everyone just wants to have a good time.

-Know the area. You will need to do a parts run at some point, or a run for supplies or food. Planning ahead is a good idea.

-Bring a camera. You are going to see some strange E36 M3 you won't want to forget.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
1/29/16 2:33 p.m.

Got a costume?

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
1/29/16 2:36 p.m.

Maybe I should have mentioned I'm not competing just spectating but would like to help wrench for random teams, many good points though silverfleet regardless, I forgot about food and such. Glad I made a thread asking

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/29/16 3:00 p.m.

Don't have much time to type at the moment, but yes, go!!! You'll find no shortage of teams that wouldn't mind an extra hand. Post on the LeMons forum and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of responses. You can buy a spectator pass. Try to make it on Friday afternoon if you can, that's when BS judging takes place. It's fun. If you bring knowledge, tools and Miata parts, I have no doubt you'll get fed and get drunk...and have a blast.

Where do you live? There are lots of LeMons races around. Two in South Carolina, some in Texas, etc...

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
1/29/16 3:05 p.m.

Awesome! Thanks for the pointers, I live in Starkville, Mississippi (north east) btw so barber is closest to me. Any suggestion to a lemons forum?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/29/16 3:50 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

I didn't race either, and wished I brought all that stuff. If you are spectating, at the very least bring a bike, camera, and snacks. Trust me on that!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/29/16 4:16 p.m.

YouTube wrap up from Barber last year

http://youtu.be/18jQ7fMqXpA

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/16 5:03 p.m.

Find soggy. Spelled TsoG. He will give you bacon.

Tell him Rob from pa sent you. He rode down with me last year.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
1/29/16 5:15 p.m.

The LeMons website has a forum. Maybe there's a team close to you that could use your help before the race. http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/29/16 6:52 p.m.

If you're there after racing ends you're apt to meet a fella with a wagon full of booze handing out free gin and tonics.

God Bless that guy.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
1/29/16 10:16 p.m.

Looks like I need to be there or be square. I'm trying to recruit my neighbor for the experience. Possibly driving the antique turbo Volvo lol

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/30/16 12:24 a.m.

You know how people will often say "This is the most fun that you can have with your pants on"?

Lemons is the most fun that you can have.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/30/16 8:34 a.m.

Yes, if TsoG (soggy) is there, find him. The bacon is other wordly. During the race, you'll find that a lot of teams are busy either thrashing on their car, getting ready for driver changes, etc... But if you're willing to lend a hand, most are happy to have the help. Teams help each other all the time, it's awesome. Hell, we've had times where guys from at least 5 or 6 teams are circled around our car trying to help. Spend time watching the race itself, it's fun. Spend time at penalty, it's both eye opening and can be funny when they hand out penalties. When the track goes cold, as long as the weather is decent, be prepared to have fun. Lots of teams do massive amounts of cooking and will be happy to feed you.

Put it this way... I'm about as straight edge and get-off-my-lawn as it gets. I don't drink, I'm not a party guy, I don't stay up late at night, I'm not into eating junk. But I absolutely love LeMons racing, and have as much fun off the track as I do on it. So many awesome people and just good times.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/16 9:54 a.m.

Sleep over. The Saturday night parties are usually epic.

I have heard lemons described as a mechanics Halloween party where a race broke out....

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/30/16 9:57 a.m.
chiodos wrote: I know the challenge is the preferred crap car race here but I found out that there is a 24 hrs of lemons race at barber Motorsports in Alabama which is only 2ish hours away. I've always want to race at barber (I hear great things) but have never had the chance, so what should I expect? I have daydreams of bringing some tools and old Miata parts I need to give away to possibly help some teams but I don't know if that's a possibility or if I'll even get to walk down to the pits. So grm, what should I expect or should even bother going to see the race?

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com

reg. with LeMons ... post on the "looking for a team" ... or words to that effect ...

read what others have posted ... that will give you an idea of what to do

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
1/30/16 7:01 p.m.

Yes do go! I first went to a Lemons race back in 2010 just to watch. I enjoyed the cars and everything else. A year later I was asked to help build a car for a 2012 Lemons race as the team was using an engine that I had experience working on as well as the trans. It was a non-stock drivetrain to the car it was going in. I drove it in it's first race.

Since then I have helped 4 other teams with their builds or prep work for their next race. These teams have won their class (All Class B) four times and other awards from the Lemons judges. The most fun I had was in 2013 when at Road America the car I was crewing for won class B by about 10 seconds after 14.5 hours of racing with both cars running their fastest laps of the race the last 1/2 hour!

By the way I'm not new to road racing. I first drove on track back in the 70's and have held a competition license off and on since 1988 and still club race my own car. I've also worked part time on a pro Trans Am team back in the 80's and 90's so I've seen both ends of the racing world. Lemons and Chump are a viable alternative to traditional "club racing".

obrut
obrut New Reader
1/30/16 9:44 p.m.

Ill be at that race, im racing with team bad decision in the pontiac transport van. Lemons is a ton of fun if you like wrenching, racing, good junk, smart ass-ery and bacon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KbzpdhD8lHcUcZSEIjKX68jwVLFILVyWYKqzYhO43w8ELvuKNqz1bPvtqOJDdtwU