1 2
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 7:59 p.m.
8/2/20 8:00 p.m.

Gah, I hate typing on the iPad. Mods, please feel free to fix the title. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/2/20 8:28 p.m.

Fingers crossed the second gen it isn't a big porky shadow of what it once was. I like the power boost, but if the weight creeps up and the interior gets too gadgety I'm out. Also I've seen multiple places mention it will be shy a turbo but others are still saying it will come with one. I'd like to know which one it will be.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
8/2/20 8:53 p.m.
trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/2/20 9:37 p.m.

Very intrigued to see how the replacement turns out. Hopefully weight stays roughly the same or only a minimal increase.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/2/20 9:54 p.m.

It had better get more than 500hp and weigh less than 1800lbs and cost less than $20k or there's no way I'll buy one. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/20 10:33 p.m.

They still won't buy one, rip on those who do buy one new, and complain that there are none for sale, used, for $32. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/2/20 11:03 p.m.

All I'm saying is the 50hp power bump will be nice, but if it's 500 pounds more than the first gen it doesn't really turn out to be a worthwhile change for me. As far as the gadget gibberish, I am not a fan of all the touchscreen pads they are putting in the newer cars. I like knobs. They are simple and do the job as intended. I don't want to stare at a screen instead of the road to figure out where my finger tip should be touching to change the climate controls. I'm currently in a loaner 2020 Outback, and it's riddled with this stuff. Call me a luddite or whatever, but this "stuff" isn't making the car experience better for me.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/3/20 5:53 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Where have you seen a 50 HP bump?

The more "reliable" (if you want to call it that) auto sites are saying it will get an NA FA24 making ~220hp and ~175lb ft of torque.

Which is 15/16 up on the current engine. If they keep it light, the usual tuning ability, should be fun. I miss my '15 BRZ, so hopefully they do a good job on this one.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/3/20 6:06 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

The article linked above . Like you say though I've seen the NA numbers listed at another site at the lower figures . 

It's set to pack 252bhp from a 2.4-litre turbocharged flat-four engine used by Subaru in the US market.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/3/20 7:06 a.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

is that right?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/3/20 7:11 a.m.
captainawesome said:

In reply to z31maniac :

The article linked above . Like you say though I've seen the NA numbers listed at another site at the lower figures . 

It's set to pack 252bhp from a 2.4-litre turbocharged flat-four engine used by Subaru in the US market.

Ahh gotcha. When I see "motor1" as the site, I typically don't even bother to read it. I'm also curious what the new STi is going to look like and power numbers. Lots of speculation it will be ~400. 

Subaru is going to be crushing it even more next year if they do well with the BRZ and STi.

8/3/20 7:24 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

is that right?

It is, thank you very much.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/20 7:38 a.m.
captainawesome said:

I like knobs.

quoted for posterity devil

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/3/20 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I can only hope it makes it to the magazine quoted as such.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/3/20 8:18 a.m.
barefootskater said:

It had better get more than 500hp and weigh less than 1800lbs and cost less than $20k or there's no way I'll buy one secondhand in 5 years

FTFY

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/3/20 9:06 a.m.
captainawesome said:

All I'm saying is the 50hp power bump will be nice, but if it's 500 pounds more than the first gen it doesn't really turn out to be a worthwhile change for me. As far as the gadget gibberish, I am not a fan of all the touchscreen pads they are putting in the newer cars. I like knobs. They are simple and do the job as intended. I don't want to stare at a screen instead of the road to figure out where my finger tip should be touching to change the climate controls. I'm currently in a loaner 2020 Outback, and it's riddled with this stuff. Call me a luddite or whatever, but this "stuff" isn't making the car experience better for me.

AMEN.  I'd love to own a Tesla, but can't stand the tech.  My car is where I like to go to get away from yet another screen staring me in the face.  Knobs just work.

Edit:  I see a few knobs and pretty low levels of screen real estate on the concept.  Not too shabby!  PS -- also the classic Toyota digital clock soliders on, which I love.

tomtomgt356 (FS)
tomtomgt356 (FS) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/3/20 11:18 a.m.

It looks like they are going to install two transmissions! A push button auto for the daily commute and a manual for the weekends! You just have to use the automatic if you want to back up.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/20 11:49 a.m.

That small detail of the center console - ignoring the obvious problem of being both a stick shift and a push button manual - has thirteen buttons, five switches, three knobs and four display screens. Plus a blanking plate for another button and a big waggly lever and a non-waggly lever.  And we're not even at the audio system yet.

THAT'S why you see screens.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/3/20 11:54 a.m.
NickD said:
barefootskater said:

It had better get more than 500hp and weigh less than 1800lbs and cost less than $20k or there's no way I'll buy one secondhand in 5 years

FTFY

The original has been out for almost 8 years now and I still haven't bought one. I want to. I intend to if I can ever justify one, but honestly I'll probably end up with a 15+ base mustang if I'm ever in the market for a cheap, fun, pretty car. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/3/20 12:04 p.m.

It's nice that it's so easy to swap gear shift knobs...

I wonder what the Subaru version will look like.  The Toyota looks like the new Supra but worse.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
8/3/20 12:22 p.m.

It still has a Subaru motor huh?

Sigh.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/3/20 12:26 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

It's nice that it's so easy to swap gear shift knobs...

I wonder what the Subaru version will look like.  The Toyota looks like the new Supra but worse.

Those are all speculative renders, no actual details have been released.

Someone just made a render of a current one with a Supra nose. That's all it is.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/3/20 12:35 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Those renders people develop keep getting better and better. Unfortunately all of these tabloid style auto sites slather them around for click bait and most are none the wiser. I've fallen victim to that myself.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/3/20 12:40 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Lots of talented graphic artists these days. I typically don't take any details about new cars seriously until it comes from one of the real auto journalists mags. GRM, R&T, Motor Trend, that kind of thing. 

Or it's an actual announcement on the company's website or something.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MEdVmBBoOPPEMSoFS7L8hvpU5MwRiQu8FOTDBuJ5gcWxdrmJzgnOeTHFUMNAlGgS