1 2 3 ... 5
accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
5/10/18 8:16 a.m.

I've searched and found some info - most people consider them thirsty, heavy, and reliable. I'm looking for something that goes down the interstate in a much more composed way - I love my 99' Suburban, but it's hard on you after a while. I found one with 99k on the clock, a bit rough around the edges, but much cheaper than the others I've seen. 

Is there anything I should look for in particular? It's a 2000 Excursion Limited, v10 Black with tan leather. 

Thanks!

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/10/18 8:46 a.m.

The individual coil packs are about $100 a piece.  Makes for an expensive tune up, because they recommend replacing all ten at once.  My dad’s F350 V10 would go through the vehicle speed sensor in the diff at an alarming rate.  Makes the transmission shift really hard.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
5/10/18 8:50 a.m.

https://www.1aauto.com/ford-ignition-coil/i/1aerk00090?f=467257&y=2000&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=ERK&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28_XBRDhARIsAEk21FhRB-HIQqZNSUP9D1UncCLRbMFnHOZ2Eb7RGIdxMFnwTQlQ0EEYAnwaAle0EALw_wcB

I'm seeing them cheaper, but they might be not worth that for non-oem. Then again might be worth it anywho since you can replace them 10x for the cost of a set of 10 oem? 

Thanks for the notes, how has your dad's engine treated him otherwise?

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
5/10/18 8:54 a.m.

you had me until you said V10.

Diesel swap it.

or

Crush it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/10/18 8:56 a.m.

Yeah, you don't want to buy the coil packs individually. I replaced a set on my 2000 F-150, and they were going to be like $60 each from Autozone. I ended up ordering a set of 8 Accels from Summit for $200.

Other than that, this is the era when the mod motors had too few threads in the spark plug holes, so there is a risk of plug ejection, though I've put a ton of miles on these engines and known many more people who have, and that's never happened to any of us.

Not sure why you think an Excursion would be more civilized or accommodating than your '99 Burb, though. It's a late 90s Super Duty truck underneath, complete with twin I-beam suspension and all. They aren't what you'd call refined, especially by today's standards.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
5/10/18 9:00 a.m.

If it's 4wd it'll be a stick axle up front and not the twin I beam garbage.  A 99 4wd will be leafs all around.  That suspension isn't exactly refined, but I wouldn't call it unpleasant.  I can't say it'll necessarily be any less tiring to drive than a Suburban though.  

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
5/10/18 9:45 a.m.

Look for a newer Suburban 2500 instead.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
5/10/18 10:07 a.m.

General V10 knowledge 3 valves are better.   2 valves are not bad if there PI heads or later with longer plug threads.  Early two valves had weak and only 3 or 4 threads holding plugs. Timeserts fix this problem well.  Done on the motor with shaving cream to keep chips from falling.

Really dependent on the year your looking at.  I love my 2010 f350 with the v10 for moving the trailer.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/18 10:35 a.m.

GM suspension will ride better, but the v10 is a very strong and reliable as well as thirsty. If not towing, why need v10? 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/10/18 10:47 a.m.

My dad has a 2002 F250 V10, he's had it since 2004 I believe.  He just recently had a spark plug spit out for the first and only time and I believe he's got about 120,000 miles on his.  That motor is fantastic, it will cruise all day long. It's thirsty, but it also doesn't need diesel injectors ever.  As a 7.3 powerstroke fan (I've now had 2 in the last 9 months) I like the v10. Dad uses his to haul a long enclosed race car trailer, he's a drag racer.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/10/18 10:54 a.m.

I owned a 99 suburban.  It felt like a sports car compared with my buddies 2002 V-10 Excursion.  Now I have a 2004 Suburban 2500 and it's miles ahead of the Ford in terms of handling and ride comfort.

OTOH, I had a 2004 Expedition that was the best riding/driving of anything mentioned but also the smallest.  Do you need the super sized model or will simple "big" be enough?

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
5/10/18 10:59 a.m.

I know that they had a problem with weak exhaust manifold studs on the early ones, but they seem fairly reliable once you take care of that problem. My brother's 2001 Limited gets 11 mpg, unloaded or towing. It's a bit of a bitch to drive, though. It seems like the soccer mom springs are a little too light to control the body. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
5/10/18 11:39 a.m.

My suburban is 98.5 actually. Just drove the Excursion it's the v10 4x4, it's miles ahead in terms of brakes/handling/ interior comfort. Seats are a serious weak spot on this one.

I'm getting it specifically for towing, not for cruising. The suburban was under braked, under engined, and loud. 

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
5/10/18 11:44 a.m.

Even my 2010 has issues with the exhaust studs, that said there is good not to expensive options out there for it.

SS stud kit

Tom_Spangler
5/10/18 11:49 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

OTOH, I had a 2004 Expedition that was the best riding/driving of anything mentioned but also the smallest.  Do you need the super sized model or will simple "big" be enough?

I know I'm biased (see sig), but I feel like Expeditions get overlooked in these discussions. Remember that they started making long-wheelbase versions after the Excursion went away, and those will haul as much stuff as any big SUV, and do it more easily thanks to folding third-row seats. They can't tow quite as much, but they aren't exactly slouches in that area, either, I'm pretty sure any mid-2000s Expy with a 5.4 can tow over 8k pounds. They are also the only vehicles in the class with IRS.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
5/10/18 12:15 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
They are also the only vehicles in the class with IRS.

Which, IMO is a disadvantage when towing because you get camber change with load changes.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/18 12:25 p.m.

04 has IRS? I thought it came later.  I had a 2000 and it was a really good tow vehicle.  Mine was an xlt  with the factory tow package on it.  In fact I still have it.  Free to anyone that wants it just come get it. It has now been sitting for 3 plus years. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
5/10/18 1:07 p.m.

To clarify a bit more, my Suburban, while technically a '99, is really a 98.5 (just made from all the leftover parts the k1500). At the parts counters I always say it's a 98 since the 99 in the computers usually is the 5.3 not the 5.7. From what I understand it pretty much remained unchanged from the '92 model. It's been a great truck and has done everything I asked, but the steering is non-existant and the interior sound is nearly deafening at interstate speeds. I've rebuilt the front end and done a few other things, but it's still a choir to drive >1 hour from the buffeting and wandering alone. While it technically can tow a good amount, you're really asking a lot of the brakes when you go over 3kish towing in anything resembling a panic stop (doesn't happen often to me as I drive like a grandma towing, but I've been cut off several times on the interstate and it's never fun).

I drive it 2-3 times a month. 

The Excursion I drove was wayyyyyy quieter interior wise. I haven't driven a 2000+ Suburban or the like, but this one is also cheaper than everything I'm seeing locally. Especially anything diesel, remember, I'm in TN - they love all things "truck." 

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
5/10/18 1:31 p.m.

My previous tow rig was an 04 F250 with the V10.  Strong motor, lots of pull, and very familiar to the mod motor Ford guys.  The exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking, and the studs will break when you try to swap it out.  Other problem on some (not mine) is that they will spit a plug, and tear up the seats on the way out.  The factory exhaust Y-pipe is a joke too.  If you stay current with maintenance and are prepared to deal with these couple issues, its a great vehicle, IMHO.  Also, I loved having a different exhaust note than everyone else.

That being said, I had an 02 Suburan 1500 prior to that, and the ride was WAY better, but it did get pushed around (and that was by a 16' open car hauler with a 3500 lb car on it).  The F250 towed way better, but rode terrible empty.

I did test drive an Excursion, and the ride was just as good as my Suburban, and I can only assume it would be more capable of towing than a 1500 Suburban.

I'm biased towards Ford, but I would bet that a 6.0/4L80E combo 2500 Suburban would be every bit as capable as a V10 Excursion, and probably more reliable (and cost more).  Good luck!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
5/10/18 1:56 p.m.

I just double checked the local classifieds and wider area to make sure I wasn't mistaken after all of these "get a 2500 suburban" comments. I thought I had looked and they were all more than I wanted to pay for something I use twice a month. 

This truck has 99k miles on it, all the 2500 Suburbans and Diesel Excursions are double the asking price of the one I'm looking at and have ~200k (most had mid 200ks) miles on them.  It's also 2 owners, a bit rough on the interior, but nothing that can't be fixed. 

Tom_Spangler
5/10/18 2:45 p.m.
dean1484 said:

04 has IRS? I thought it came later.  I had a 2000 and it was a really good tow vehicle.  Mine was an xlt  with the factory tow package on it.  In fact I still have it.  Free to anyone that wants it just come get it. It has now been sitting for 3 plus years. 

Yep, the 2nd gen, which came out in 2003, has it.

As far as towing, while I'll admit it's not quite as secure and "forget it's there" towing my big travel trailer as my '11 F-150 was, the '15 Expedition is more than adequate and safe-feeling. And the non-towing ride and handling is MUCH better. The tradeoff is well worth it, IMO.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
5/10/18 3:17 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
And the non-towing ride and handling is MUCH better. The tradeoff is well worth it, IMO.

I'm only using this to tow and very occasionally "haul everyone at once" duty. We have the MS3 and the CX-5 for normal driving things.

Good input though, thanks!

TheMagicRatchet
TheMagicRatchet None
5/10/18 4:34 p.m.

My 2001 V-10 Excursion has 252,000 miles and counting. Besides maintenance; I've replaced the idle control motor, the fuel pump, and two A/C compressors (one was kind-of my fault for using a reman). About 10% of that mileage was towing (up to about 8,000 lb), the rest was mostly cargo or people hauling. Despite the fact that I despise the twin I beam front suspension, I still believe it's the best vehicle of that sort I've ever owned. For perspective We've also owned a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, a 3/4 ton Suburban, a 1/2 ton Suburban, and even a Cherokee. If you replace the spark plugs, thoroughly blow the dirt out of the wells before you remove the plugs then make sure the new plugs are tight. If you get a misfire code (or as maintenance when changing the plugs) check the coil boots before you replace any coils. They will lose their insulation value and arc out against the cylinder head. This may ruin the coil if it goes on long enough. If it wanders, find a front end shop to increase the Caster to about + 5 degrees. Mine tracks straight and true since that change. Good luck with it.

Lou Manglass 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/18 6:19 p.m.

If its for towing then yeah v10 excursions are the best deal out there. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/10/18 6:50 p.m.

I’m wondering what is wrong with your suburban that’s causing all the noise.  Mine (GMT 400 as well) was extremely quiet and relaxed on the interstate.

Many trips of 1,000 miles with 4 teenagers, towed my buddies Miata to the Toledo pro-solo, used similarly a couple times a month.  Steering was getting a touch sloppy at 240,000 miles but the day I sold it I commented to Tiger Mom about how impressively quiet it was at 75 mph.

Where is your noise coming from?  Exhaust, tires, wind?

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6PZQsKJy01r4G7p6BUppAFSyzZgFqxN9XXevZWzPmEs1Q18IN6c7D2wFmbqguic3