1 2
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 1:33 p.m.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 1:44 p.m.

If you want to get fancy, you can get 12v solenoid valves for $10 and do it this way.  2 valves for a shared-air setup, 4 valves for an isolated setup.  Add a DPDT momentary switch on the dash and Bobzilla's your uncle.  It's a little more intense on the labor side, but $50 for a small compressor, portable air tank strapped to the frame, $20 worth of solenoids, wiring, switches, a roll of ductile copper tubing and some brass fittngs.  This is what I plan to eventually do to my van, but I'll use an old CO2 tank and a York belt driven air compressor. (if I can find a place to strap it on the LS.)

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/22 4:10 p.m.

I did some experimenting today, raising and lowering the camper and watching the the suspension at work.  New learnings:

- I don't have upper overload springs, so the Torklift Upper StableLoads are out.

- When the camper is loaded, the truck is riding hard on the thick lower overload springs.  As I mentioned in the OP, the truck drives great this way; actually better than unloaded.  I just want the rear to sit higher.  I think the additional 700-800lb of tongue weight from the trailer will probably not make a material difference to ride height with the stiff bottom springs already engaged.

- When bottomed on the lower overload springs, the factory bump stop is still a mile away from the platform on the lower axle.  There's no way they come into play during driving.  This makes me wonder if stuffing something big in there like Timbrens or SumoSprings will be working against me, since they may actually prevent the suspension from lowering onto the lower overload springs properly.

- I don't have a rear sway bar, and would like to avoid one if possible.  I'd like to keep the rear wheel articulation as much as possible for offroad activity.  I'm a little fuzzy on how a sway bar works with a stick axle anyway, I only understand them in the context of independent rear suspension.

So it appears that adding the Torklift Lower StableLoads will give me basically the same ride I have now, but with the back of the truck sitting maybe an inch higher.  And I can disengage them when the truck isn't loaded.  I've decided to start with these.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dHU6gFngIWZb7hwOSx9LotZOFKxVJ98EMjSpJPIF2jNC2s8rAHCwZLgAvrxd7nJl