Racingsnake Reader
12/26/21 12:30 p.m.

Anyone use these or anything similar?

https://www.lightbarheadlamp.com/pages/techspecs

gimmicky or worth the money?

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/21 12:54 p.m.

I have no experience with those, but I absolutely love and highly recommend my Streamlight headlamp for something tough, effective, and comfortable.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/21 12:56 p.m.

I've got something like that at work, it puts out a lot of light, but you can't aim it.  I prefer the smaller headlamps that can be aimed up or down so they shine on whatever your working on.  

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/21 1:45 p.m.

I bought one of the lightbar head bands off of Amazon for about $20. It works great, casting a wide beam that lets you use your peripheral vision and see what's around you and not just right in front of you. The down side is that it creates extreme glare blinding those around you.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/21 2:52 p.m.

I use headlamps a lot, both at work and home. I haven't tried one of these. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/21 6:25 p.m.

Disappointed that this thread isn't about the first gen Mercury Sable:

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/21 7:16 p.m.

My son has one. He loves it. I refuse to work with him or be near him if he is using it and he is banned from bringing it camping. It throws light everywhere instead of the one place you need it and blinds anyone near at the same time. 

If you are by yourself they are great, otherwise they are annoying as hell to everyone around you. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
12/28/21 1:53 a.m.

Thanks for the replies. I'd be using it when I'm working by myself so the glare isn't going to bother anyone.  I like the idea of a large area being illuminated rather than just a spot.

Run_Away - how wide an area does the flood setting on the Streamlight cover? Would it light up a whole engine bay?

Floating Doc - what headlamps do you use and what do you like/dislike about them?

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
1/17/22 11:31 p.m.

So I wound up getting these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-GETOVIN-Flashlight-Headlight-Waterproof/dp/B096SVGJCP?pd_rd_w=ufPhB&pf_rd_p=ee521540-07c2-4687-9605-13c98e32ab2c&pf_rd_r=A72C517058FYBQXZYSG0&pd_rd_r=7e25d260-b3d3-4f7e-bb64-20b04e769b4c&pd_rd_wg=Hw7zc&pd_rd_i=B096SVGJCP&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_i

Pretty happy with them so far, they work well for what I need. I bought the two pack because it wasn't much more than buying one and I figured I could always have one charged up in case one died in the middle of a job. Batteries don't last long but not terrible - over an hour on the brightest setting. I've been doing some under dash wiring on one of my cars and using these lets me see pretty much like daylight. I like that they light up the whole area rather than just directly where you're looking. They also work pretty well for finding stuff in the dark corners of the garage where I don't have enough light.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/18/22 7:48 a.m.
Toyman! said:

My son has one. He loves it. I refuse to work with him or be near him if he is using it and he is banned from bringing it camping. It throws light everywhere instead of the one place you need it and blinds anyone near at the same time. 

If you are by yourself they are great, otherwise they are annoying as hell to everyone around you. 

Sooo... kinda like every Jeep owner in the last 5 years.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/22 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Exactly, though it's usually the brodozers driving around with them on. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HbLIYZf9ErCbumCUJuJEgm3fSegzp7fK0GAIrrxCT79UCDbdYz2mvwSUjP3fGt9U