1 2 3 4 ... 8
jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
3/4/12 11:15 a.m.

Local to me but $4,500 is high without drivetrain.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2883407519.html

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
3/4/12 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Knurled: Any numbers to back that up? I am curious, not trying to be argumentative.

I would believe a iron block and head 5.0/T56 weighing about the same as a LS1/T56.

However I find it had to believe 5.0 with an iron block, iron heads and intake (should be aluminum I believe) would weight the same as aluminum block, aluminum heads with a composite intake.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/12 11:33 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: In reply to Knurled: Any numbers to back that up? I am curious, not trying to be argumentative. I would believe a iron block and head 5.0/T56 weighing about the same as a LS1/T56. However I find it had to believe 5.0 with an iron block, iron heads and intake (should be aluminum I believe) would weight the same as aluminum block, aluminum heads with a composite intake.

i didn't believe it either, but the numbers I find suggest that the 302 and the LS1 both weigh around 450lb depending on the usual variables.

Look at it objectively, the 302 has a shorter stroke, shorter rods, a MUCH shorter deck height (8.2 vs, what, 9.3"?), and the block and head castings are very, very thin and flimsy. Ford was showing off its new casting technology when they made it.

Quick Google says the Ford blocks are ~135lb and the LS1 blocks are ~120lb. Unsure if either figure includes main caps.

And that Starlet? I've seen it at 42. IIRC it was Mitsubishi powered.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs New Reader
3/4/12 12:57 p.m.

I'll throw in a ej25, big turbo and w58 as the lightest way I can think of.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/4/12 2:30 p.m.

A 300 hp car with 500 lbs. static weight reduction plus 50 lbs rotating mass reduction (lightweight wheels + flywheel).

Pretty close to the equivalent of 400 hp.

OK, that's not so legitimate. But it is cheap!

Knurled
3/4/12 3:12 p.m.

Who says you can't do that with 400hp? As long as the power increase doesn't require stronger drivetrain parts. I'm really not a fan of the T56 partly because of its weight. A T5 is lighter and "strong enough".

It's a balancing act - you need enough displacement to make the power goal relatively inexpensive, but you need LOW displacement to be kind to drivetrain parts. Or to abuse light-duty parts instead.

I'm kinda down around that part of the bell curve. I'll take the lower unsprung mass of a light-duty rearend, and deal with the weakness later.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/4/12 5:25 p.m.

What about the dime a dozen truck based LS engine? The 4.8 is supposedly great for turbocharging, and coupled with a vintage sturdy 4 speed would be a cheap route.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
3/4/12 5:38 p.m.

Simple,a turbo'd 'busa engine.

alex
alex SuperDork
3/4/12 5:45 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote:

This just blew my mind.

Knurled
3/4/12 5:57 p.m.
RossD wrote: What about the dime a dozen truck based LS engine? The 4.8 is supposedly great for turbocharging, and coupled with a vintage sturdy 4 speed would be a cheap route.

But not light. Iron-block engines are getting up into BBC weight range.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
3/4/12 5:58 p.m.

A PT-6 weighs well under half of what any piston engine making that sort of power does, and will make it all day long. How much do you want to spend?

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/4/12 6:45 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
RossD wrote: What about the dime a dozen truck based LS engine? The 4.8 is supposedly great for turbocharging, and coupled with a vintage sturdy 4 speed would be a cheap route.
But not light. Iron-block engines are getting up into BBC weight range.

Cheap. Powerful. Light. Pick two.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
3/4/12 6:48 p.m.

I think we are leaning towards a Ford small block punched out to 349 or so, aluminum heads, and a Tremec T5. Anybody got something like that for sale in the Northeast? Anybody wreck a nice Mustang lately and want to sell the driveline?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
3/4/12 6:54 p.m.

You can get an aluminum block for the SBF now for some bucks- I'd be interested in an SBF based 427, with or without aluminum block. In a light enough car, I'd bet a world class t5 would take care of it. Wasn't there a thread about this a few weeks back?

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
3/4/12 9:45 p.m.

This won't be cheap. But lately I've daydreaming about the 4.0 liter V-8 from an E92 M3. 414 HP at 8300 RPM, 295 torque at only 3900 RPM, so very flexible power curve. Engine weight is 445 pounds and it was chosen as International Engine of the Year for the 3.0 to 4.0 L category in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 (quoting Wikipedia). Aluminum block and head with plastic manifold. I wonder what one costs.

I've been dreaming of one stuffed into an FD RX-7. Ok, lust is involved.

David

pres589
pres589 Dork
3/5/12 1:13 a.m.

400hp and a T5 sounds like a bad combination unless the trans has been worked over. In a light enough car a wide ratio four speed might be a better bet and keep the weight and space requirements down vs. a T56.

Just my 2 cents.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
3/5/12 6:59 a.m.

400hp easy lots of boost and NitroMethanol

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
3/5/12 7:40 a.m.
KATYB wrote: not a fan of the sr20. too sensitive to tuning. id prefer a ca18det over it truthfully. piston skirts are too short and top ring too close to the piston face for my likes on the sr20. vg30 sohc could do it cheaply. a turbo vortec 350 could do it easily. and a 3.8 gm v6 could do it,. ls1/t56 combo tho is prob the cheapest youll find.... saw it on cl a few days ago a ls1 t56 and wireing harness and ecm for 1200.

THIS. Friggen hate the SR20. I don't get the hype. A KA24DE can be just as powerful (with a turbo).

Autolex
Autolex Dork
3/5/12 9:01 a.m.

L33 + 2 x GT28's?

Knurled
3/5/12 12:41 p.m.
RossD wrote: Cheap. Powerful. Light. Pick two.

Well, the OP is mainly concerned with light. He's only looking for 400hp. A turbo V8 anything is mega-overkill for this.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
3/5/12 12:46 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
KATYB wrote: not a fan of the sr20. too sensitive to tuning. id prefer a ca18det over it truthfully. piston skirts are too short and top ring too close to the piston face for my likes on the sr20. vg30 sohc could do it cheaply. a turbo vortec 350 could do it easily. and a 3.8 gm v6 could do it,. ls1/t56 combo tho is prob the cheapest youll find.... saw it on cl a few days ago a ls1 t56 and wireing harness and ecm for 1200.
THIS. Friggen hate the SR20. I don't get the hype. A KA24DE can be just as powerful (with a turbo).

A KA24DE weighs significantly more than the SR20

In reference to KATYB's post: so does a VG30.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/5/12 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

True. I wanted to put a smilely face in there but my phone wasn't cooperating with me. I wanted to sound more light hearted than jack-assery.

It just seemed that some of the other offerings of 400 hp would take a lot more dollars. Like a turbo 'busa kit that cost $4k over the price of the engine and still only gets you to 265 hp on race fuel....

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
3/5/12 2:11 p.m.

Has anyone mentioned nitrous yet?

Autolex
Autolex Dork
3/5/12 3:36 p.m.

I'm not sure why no one has mentioned the Hartley V8 Yet...

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
3/5/12 5:28 p.m.

lincoln mk8 motor+t5+cobra injectors+ power adder of choice = cheap+easy+fast...

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mzpEEOEwpE4TB8Fk5g2A4PeBpZqAHTYw7Oxx6AxkXnrZYBeL7D6VFXjlDqLamvnV