1 2 3
fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/10/22 1:39 p.m.

obligatory 12a/13b option is around that 220 mark with 200hp capable on a simple carb setup. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/10/22 1:51 p.m.

According to wikipedia, a Hyundai 1.6t weighs ~150lb, which is very impressive.  No idea how dressed that is though.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Gamma_engine#Engines

They can pack quite a punch too.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/22 2:55 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

obligatory 12a/13b option is around that 220 mark with 200hp capable on a simple carb setup. 

I cannot believe that a 13B weighs only 220lb.  Maybe with no accessories or water pump or flywheel.

Hell the exhaust alone will weigh 80-120lb.... there is a reason why people can do all iron V8 swaps and lose weight.

79rex
79rex HalfDork
6/10/22 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

factory exhaust/manifold can be gone easily.  the waterpump housing is is pretty funny for how big/heavy it is.  but that could also go away with an electric pump. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/10/22 3:57 p.m.

Regarding those simple/easily found though, a Saturn LL0 has to be high on the list.  They run like a cockroach at stock ish power levels as long as you keep oil in them.  They can be found readily available at basically any junkyard.  In most junkyards they probably outnumber all other engines in this thread combined.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/10/22 4:56 p.m.

In reply to 79rex :

Point stands though.  It is like when people say it has only three moving parts but count every nut bolt and chain link pin as a moving part in a piston engine.

toffee
toffee New Reader
6/13/22 11:27 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yes indeed that DOHC LL0 wieghted 220lbs, it's a WOW.  Couldn't find anything on how to work a LL0 in RWD though, think it's possible?  

toffee
toffee New Reader
6/13/22 11:28 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
fidelity101 said:

I cannot believe that a 13B weighs only 220lb.  Maybe with no accessories or water pump or flywheel.

Hell the exhaust alone will weigh 80-120lb.... there is a reason why people can do all iron V8 swaps and lose weight.

I think Honda B series engine had iron block?

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
6/14/22 12:04 a.m.

I know the duratec 2.0l and by extension ecoboost 2.0l are about 235 for the long block with clutch and flywheel. A lot higher than most of these but also way more modern, 200+ horse from some models stock and easily modified to get there from the weaker versions, and pretty good fuel economy.

2zz are also pretty light for a modern four banger at 253 dressed and dry and they hit 8500 (though they're allegedly pretty gutless up to 6)

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
6/14/22 12:05 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

155lbs at 201hp for the top trim is pretty damn impressive. Surprised it's not a more common LBC swap

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/22 2:13 a.m.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/22 8:17 a.m.
toffee said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yes indeed that DOHC LL0 wieghted 220lbs, it's a WOW.  Couldn't find anything on how to work a LL0 in RWD though, think it's possible?  

With adapters, sure.  But nothing bolts up from the factory.  Same goes for a lot of FWD motors in this thread.

I think the top half of the pattern aligns with a T5 though

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/22 8:18 a.m.
Evanuel9 said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

155lbs at 201hp for the top trim is pretty damn impressive. Surprised it's not a more common LBC swap

yeah, but thats just a wiki number... like I said who knows how dressed that is.  The problem with all of these threads is getting apples to apples comparisons.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/22 8:51 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yes the top two line up. I put a drawing in the engine and bellhousing thread but it's behind a wall now. I'll try and steal it better later.

Stampie
6/14/22 8:58 a.m.
Stampie said:

Stolen but here's the Saturn 1.9 4 cylinder and the Chevy V6 T5. Saturn in red T5 in blue. Top two bolts line up.

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
6/14/22 11:24 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

that's true, still, even as a longblock, that's not bad

Rigante
Rigante Reader
6/14/22 11:50 a.m.

bike engines are massively powerful small and light.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/14/22 11:53 a.m.

The first gen Insight 3 cylinder is 125#s

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
6/14/22 12:18 p.m.

So I'll add some more on the Nissan Datsun A-series engines.

The A15 (1500cc) was produced up until 2007 worldwide. 

As I previously these motors fully dressed (intake/exhaust, alternator, starter, 14lb flywheel w/clutch assembly and oil) weigh 181 lbs for the A12 and 193lbs for the A15. 

The stock bottom ends are good for up to 9000 RPM.

In street trim an A15 will make 100-115 at the wheels depending on how large you bore it. Race motors are making 150whp; note race motors at this level need rebuilding every 6 hours.

You can turbo the motors and get upwards of 150whp in street trim; race turbo motors are capable of 220whp and at that level will do a full season of racing without having to rebuild the motor.  Datsun1200.com had tons of information on turbocharging them.  

The fact that the 60 series 5 speed only weighs 54lbs is also a bonus. The engine and gearbox combo are only 9lbs heavier than a Hayabusa motor..........granted it won't make Hayabusa level power in naturally aspirated trim.

These motors are also extremely compact; as compact as motorcycle engines. For a long time it was the go to automotive based engine for SCCA D-sports racers.

I still want to put this motor in a Locost 7 and or Exocet.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/14/22 12:40 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

yeah, but thats just a wiki number... like I said who knows how dressed that is.  The problem with all of these threads is getting apples to apples comparisons.

30 years from now, AI will have reached the point where it is possible to create an accurate database of engine sizes and weights

29 years from now, Skynet will have taken over, or the Earth will have been destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/22 1:04 p.m.
Oapfu said:

29 years from now, Skynet will have taken over, or the Earth will have been destroyed to save the profession of psychiatry (or "make way for a hyperspace bypass")

fixed 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/14/22 1:16 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
toffee said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

With adapters, sure.  But nothing bolts up from the factory.  Same goes for a lot of FWD motors in this thread.

T5s don't have a bellhousing.  There have been at least six different bellhousings put on T5s not counting bellhousing depth.  (Ford 90deg V8, Ford 2.3, Ford YBB (similar to 2.3), Datsun L series six, AMC fours, Chevy metric, Chevy V8, a brooch, a pterodactyl...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/22 1:47 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
ProDarwin said:
toffee said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

T5s don't have a bellhousing.  There have been at least six different bellhousings put on T5s not counting bellhousing depth.  (Ford 90deg V8, Ford 2.3, Ford YBB (similar to 2.3), Datsun L series six, AMC fours, Chevy metric, Chevy V8, a brooch, a pterodactyl...

Sorry yeah I know nothing about RWD bellhousing.  What I meant was what Stampie posted above, I believe that is the "Chevy metric" pattern?

Only loosely related, there is a Lemons Porsche 914 powered by an LL0 that did pretty well IIRC.  The only race results I can find show it 17 laps ahead of its nearest competitor lol.

Stampie
6/14/22 1:52 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yep Chevy metric.

Stampie
6/14/22 2:04 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Don't forget Isuzu/Saab pattern.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.