1 2
STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/28/18 1:31 p.m.

IT's just a concept currently, and I know that we're supposed to dislike crossovers and all but I don't hate it. New, RWD unibody architecture sounds interesting. Looks really good too, even though it's almost a Range Rover clone. It will presumably be less expensive than a RR. I'm having trouble finding things wrong with it. What's happening to me?

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/28/18 1:35 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Looks like it's also PHEV with a 26 mile electric range.

This thing checks all the right boxes short of that sweet wool interior that Range Rover offers. I wonder what the price point is going to be because I could be convinced. It looks pretty darn close to production ready in the photos.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/28/18 1:38 p.m.

QX80 and a Range Rover had a baby...

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/28/18 1:46 p.m.

What else uses that chassis? Is that the expedition still?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/28/18 1:50 p.m.
RossD said:

What else uses that chassis? Is that the expedition still?

It'll be the new as-of-yet unreleased Explorer as well.  Surprised they're moving to a RWD based architecture, but it's still unibody vs. BOF.  

I think this looks great.  The new Navigators have been selling like hotcakes, and is more truck than most people need.  This has nearly similar style, all the people hauling capability, and seems to be right in line with what the market wants right now.  

I hope they sell well.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/28/18 2:02 p.m.

Looks pretty cool. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/28/18 2:13 p.m.

I really like lincolns current styling direction. The mkx, continental, and now this? The whole drophead thing is working for them. And the good news is, no one is buying them so thrill depreciate like a nice German car!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/28/18 2:16 p.m.

I didn't even comprehend the difference in the words "Navigator" and "Aviator" in this thread. Was there an Aviator previously?

As someone that has a unibody, rear wheel drive base vehicle (albeit full time AWD), I feel like I might be interested in a used 20k mile Aviator. Looks pretty.

Will
Will UltraDork
3/28/18 2:19 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Yes. Lincoln version of the Explorer, but with a DOHC 4.6 instead of the SOHC 4.6. Made from 03-05 or something like that.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/28/18 2:20 p.m.

That's a good looking truck. Ford has shown that they can build a very nice interior in the Continental. The ecoboost motors are doing well. Could this be what ties it all together? 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
3/28/18 2:44 p.m.

U611 and yes it is coming out

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/28/18 2:55 p.m.

Very handsome vehicle.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/28/18 4:19 p.m.

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was, "Seriously? Why?" But the pictures are a pretty good answer. Is that engine turned trim inside?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/18 5:47 p.m.

Honestly, I'm more excited about the blurb I saw yesterday about Lincoln trying to bring back suicide doors when they bring back the continental. 

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
3/28/18 6:05 p.m.
STM317 said:

... What's happening to me?

Your growing up. Welcome to the club.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
3/28/18 6:25 p.m.
STM317 said:

What's happening to me?

I was gonna say that humans tend to like things with which we are familiar.With the ubiquity of small SUVs and CUVs, it's no wonder that some of them start to look good even to us hardened car guys and gals. I had a similar thought about a CX-5 the other day. I don't need one and if anything, an old beater truck would suit my needs much more. However, I had the fleeting thought that it might work for me. (I'm not buying one or any new car for that matter. But a few years ago, I doubt this thought would have even entered my brain.)  

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
3/28/18 6:53 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to STM317 :

Looks like it's also PHEV with a 26 mile electric range.

This thing checks all the right boxes short of that sweet wool interior that Range Rover offers. I wonder what the price point is going to be because I could be convinced. It looks pretty darn close to production ready in the photos.

My guess is that will be the same powertrain in the Hybrid F150.  A 2.7L or 3.0L ecoboost plus some batteries and an electric motor.  Having a Volt in the stable gets me really interested in this combination.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/28/18 7:12 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

QX80 and a Range Rover had a baby...

That's what I immediately thought as well...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/29/18 1:08 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I meant to add this to the two pictures in my first post. The rear of the Evoque, the front of the QX...

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/29/18 8:11 a.m.
Will said:

In reply to RossD :

Yes. Lincoln version of the Explorer, but with a DOHC 4.6 instead of the SOHC 4.6. Made from 03-05 or something like that.

Just a tarted up Exploder:

Will
Will UltraDork
3/29/18 4:02 p.m.

The 03-04 Aviator basically has the same engine as the Mach 1/Marauder, but with a variable-geometry intake that's sort of a poor man's FR500. The 05 is similar, but with better heads that are pretty desirable.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
8/14/19 8:05 a.m.

Well, it's definitely coming back. And the PHEV version probably makes 494hp/630ft-lbs. So that's neat. Guesses put the EV range around 20 miles, so fuel economy should be very reasonable too. Seems like they're not messing around anymore. If the economy holds out for awhile longer (i know) they'll probably sell a bunch of $70k mid-sized CUVs.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/19 8:55 a.m.

Lincoln's recent trend of making ridiculously overpowered luxury cars and basically not telling anyone about them has me intrigued, I must admit. I do wonder why they don't have a dedicated performance line like Cadillac's V, BMW's M, Lexus' F, and so on.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/19 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Never knew that car existed.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
8/14/19 9:15 a.m.

Extremely handsome, and a far better offering than (appearance) what Cadillac has in the stable. My only comment is that this would be an excellent candidate for the window trim line door handles..... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4kqRT3lf2qutMglBRv446C4h4oho9mpVRlN5M0bG3GaTUGqXtF8jtVF0N78iVke6