1 2
Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/26/21 4:32 p.m.

In one corner, we've got aesthetically pleasing. Balanced. Equal. "The same."

And nearly all liveries are like this, so I won't post a picture of any. 

but then... we have asymmetrical. The artsy. The wild. The off-center-yet-so-right. 

I feel like symmetrical liveries require you to work with the lines of the car, and asymmetrical allows for anything, even a combination of both. The classical liveries we see are generally symmetrical. But modern stuff has been asymmetrical at times. What camp are you in? Can you make a case for both? Neither? Etc. discuss. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/26/21 4:46 p.m.

Asymmetric will be less likely to be iconic, translatable, or remember.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/26/21 4:48 p.m.

Asymmetric.

I used to be a 100% symmetry guy, until I started building circle track cars. There is beauty in asymmetry that I can never turn from.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/21 4:50 p.m.

The key is branding and recognition, So even if it is not a direct mirror image you want there to be an inverse image on the opposite side that correlates to the other side, if you go with a diagonal you can effectively switch opposite corners to convey the same message in logo without it being a traditional symmetry. 

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/26/21 5:07 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah branding and sponsorship throws a wrench in the works when wanting "beautiful" out of a livery. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
11/26/21 5:08 p.m.

Symmetric all the way!  I might be willing to change the trolls hair color from side to side, but it has to have the same number of flowers on the fenders.

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/26/21 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Ok, so back to the land of serious things. 

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/27/21 9:54 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/27/21 11:48 p.m.

One of the guys in my iRacing league has a great asymmetric livery:

Preview of Penny Arcade Racing League - Team Reckoners by Daniel Boyle

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
11/27/21 11:54 p.m.

In reply to Buck Futter :

Yup, all my fault.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
11/27/21 11:58 p.m.

REmember the British American Racing Formula 1 555/Lucky Strike livery?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/21 1:55 a.m.
Jim Pettengill said:

REmember the British American Racing Formula 1 555/Lucky Strike livery?

I came here to post that. :). BAR wanted to run different liveries on the two cars, the FIA said no, so they stuck one on one side and one on the other.   This is the team that's Mercedes now!

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/28/21 9:12 a.m.

I don't think symmetry matters as long as there's a cohesive pattern or if it's a big graphic splashed across the whole car.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
11/28/21 9:38 a.m.

I don't think that any of the pictures represent an improvement over this sort of thing.

Cooter (Custom Title Here)
Cooter (Custom Title Here) PowerDork
11/28/21 9:52 a.m.
Buck Futter said:

Well this went far. I blame dead_sled for this. Thanks for stifling conversation and creativity on this already shrinking forum. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/28/21 10:05 a.m.
Buck Futter said:

Well this went far. I blame dead_sled for this. Thanks for stifling conversation and creativity on this already shrinking forum. 

You can't make something "go viral" no matter what thousands of internet clickbait victims say.  It'll go or it won't go. Forcing it is sure to be counterproductive.

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/28/21 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

My post was more commentary on how dead sled apparently "has it out for me" (shrugs) some people are really that petty I guess. 

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/28/21 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Cooter (Custom Title Here) :

I don't stifle ppl here man. Please... I know some people here don't like me. Idgaf. I'm here to talk about cars, not "your version" of politics/ethics/social issues/dick size. 

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell New Reader
11/28/21 11:06 a.m.

Not everybodies favorite, but I quite like it.

GR Yaris makes my heart throb, such major bummer that USA was denied.

Happen to also love the livery of their WRC:

Have no interest in the supposedly upcoming 5 door GR Corolla, so please nobody mention it or my depression will only deepen.

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/28/21 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Oldboy Speedwell :

That Shell livery is hot 

Buck Futter said:

In reply to Duke :

My post was more commentary on how dead sled apparently "has it out for me" (shrugs) some people are really that petty I guess. 

Buck Futter said:

In reply to Cooter (Custom Title Here) :

I don't stifle ppl here man. Please... I know some people here don't like me. Idgaf. I'm here to talk about cars, not "your version" of politics/ethics/social issues/dick size. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
11/28/21 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Cooter (Thanks for stifling conversation and creativity on this already shrinking forum.) :

Your meme is too symmetric, top right Spiderman has a chunk of bumper stuck to his leg.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/28/21 6:55 p.m.

I'm not sure where the poopy attitude came from in this thread, but symmetrical all the way for me.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/28/21 7:24 p.m.

Symmetrical for me. 

I'm not saying an asymmetric scheme can't look good.  But the ones that are burned into my  psyche are all symmetric.  

John player specials,  Petty's red and blue,  Marlboro schemes, Nissan's liveries from the old imsa days.  Those are beautiful.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xELgJI366d3Mzrxe9SegwBNVgRqbk3uB8imj0VKLYOCPSEXw9xjMXGkmR18wnC5t