1 2 3 4
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/25/21 1:23 p.m.

Bumping this back to the top for some feedback!

option 1:

option 2:

Personally I prefer option 1, since it breaks up the slab sided van more and has a more natural start/end point thanks to the headlight and taillight. It will be significantly trickier to put on, since I have door handles to deal with, but I kind of think it's worth it.

My wife is pulling for option 2, since it's a little less loud. It will also be much easier to apply.

Also, since John Welsh was asking for details - it's a 2018 with ~45k miles. We paid ~$14,500, and it spent its life to this point in Hawaii. I do wish we had tracked down a van with the factory roof rack, since it's non-trivial/impossible to add, but the factory accessory Thule rack is fine. All in all I think we got a pretty decent deal.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/25/21 1:34 p.m.

Spectacular deal.  

The first thing I noticed is the added roof rack.  Mine didn't get the factory version either.  I like the look.  I might have to look further into the addition of same.  

1/25/21 1:39 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

You want  P/N TRAB5343 - it's a lot cheaper (~$300) buying the Mopar part than piecing it together through Thule. I ended up ordering it through Amazon, it is available cheaper but after shipping they had the best price. Fits great and was very easy to install.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
1/25/21 1:39 p.m.

The way I see it,

option 1 says "Martini racing team van"

option 2 says "Martini racing edition"

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/25/21 1:42 p.m.

To be historically correct would be the middle placement.  If you want full-on livery then go with middle.  But, I think the intention here is to pay a slight homage or generally hint at the race livery.  With this intention of subtly, I think the bottom may be the better fit.  

To the unknowing and unsuspecting the middle placement might get you questions at the school pick up lines or Costco parking lot of, "what business are you in?" since the middle placement looks more like a current or retired commercial vehicle.  

However, the lower placement adds a dash of color to the other colorless sides and seems more in tune with "residential" use.  But, for those of us who know...
When we see that bottom stripe...we know!   

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/25/21 2:08 p.m.

If you both want to be subtle and really spell it out then add either just one sticker like this to the back glass.  Or, add one to each side in the rear-most, lowest-most position of the rear, side glass.  

https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/Martini-Racing-by-jgebhardt/31837908.EJUG5?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=g.pla+notset&country_code=US&gclid=CjwKCAiA9bmABhBbEiwASb35VxmjOg1ES0XFgKpLGbtmbAh6PGM1ZQDD39CvRHMIaapR4PdcjtdzkRoCspAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/25/21 3:49 p.m.

I'd go with option 1. It's still not over the top loud, but the stripes are harder to miss.

ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter)
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/21 11:10 a.m.

I'd vote option 2, but include the sides of the rear bumper cover, since they are a large part of the side of the van.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/26/21 11:17 a.m.

I like option1. It looks more like a livery/homage and less like a clearance priced sticker roll at autozone.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
1/26/21 11:59 a.m.

Less subtle is good, which #1 has going for it, but to me it does look too commercial, like a taxi or airport shuttle service. 

Option #2 I think is still loud enough, while looking like a special edition performance package. Sort of reminiscent of the stripes on an Abarth Fiat.

1/26/21 12:28 p.m.
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd vote option 2, but include the sides of the rear bumper cover, since they are a large part of the side of the van.

I had that thought too, but then where do you end the stripe? That's actually the main problem I have with option 2, other than the rocker panel it's less clear where exactly the stripe should go/not go.

I'm still leaning toward option 1, but I made a teensy mistake when I ordered the stripe which means I only have enough for one side. Working on getting more.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/26/21 12:39 p.m.

I will say that I like both.

If going lower, #2, I think the stop point is like you show, at the wheel wells.  

Sample: 

This site might give you some inspiration.  This is my favorite...

1/24/22 7:32 p.m.

This thread is old, but I thought you all might be interested in what I did with those Martini stripes:

I decided they'd be more fun on the campervan! Pretty pleased with myself for this one, if I'm being honest. Still have to do the other side and the back but it went more easily than expected.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/24/22 8:05 p.m.

Wonderfully delicious! 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/22 8:26 p.m.

My FAVORITE van livery is:

But since you are starting with white...

I would also suggest a take on this...

Maybe some stripes on the front fenders and a BRE theme? 

Or, wrap the bottom blue and add colored stripes on the part that has been pointed out previously. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
id2NsYxAzucuWZIEADdKjewZo7SVyEH3dIcDJfVN2tWzcijgJXBdlF3wVT36wsfP