1 2 3
wirewick
wirewick New Reader
12/17/18 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

You've had that kind of luck with new car purchases?  Im curious to hear the details.

Im aware it's not a new car in every sense of the word.  The offer that I am sticking with is actually a little bit lower than NADA value for a used 2017. I still get most of the benefits of a new car.  $19,000 off MSRP is not an insignificant discount to make up for the depreciation.

I don't know, maybe I should have came in lower.  I didn't commit to anything though.

wirewick
wirewick New Reader
12/17/18 9:09 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

People just don't buy wagons I guess.  And if they do, it seems to be the off roady types a la Subaru Outback, etc.

Im almost certain they could wholesale it for way more than 18K.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/18 10:46 p.m.
wirewick said:

In reply to Antihero :

You've had that kind of luck with new car purchases?  Im curious to hear the details.

Im aware it's not a new car in every sense of the word.  The offer that I am sticking with is actually a little bit lower than NADA value for a used 2017. I still get most of the benefits of a new car.  $19,000 off MSRP is not an insignificant discount to make up for the depreciation.

I don't know, maybe I should have came in lower.  I didn't commit to anything though.

Not on new cars, but used cars, a house, many different kinds of musical gear etc. you never know unless you ask and this situation is ripe for a great deal for you.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/18 7:48 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Their page shows an interest rate of 5.99‰

You can likely do better than that if you have good credit.

PemFed is less than 4. 25%

When we bought our 2017 in late September 2017, Volvo Financial was offering 0% financing for up to 5 years.  You can bet we jumped on that.  You might be able to get that if you ask.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/18 7:51 a.m.
Antihero said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Antihero said:

Its sat for 2 years because no one wants them, just how many people do you think are asking about these cars?

Probably due to them coming in dead last in reliability......

And being butt ugly

You think this is butt ugly?

I guess styling truly is subjective.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 9:47 a.m.

My Buick sat on the lot for over a year before I bought it and had no problems since.  New cars don’t seem to deteriorate like the did where seals and such would go bad from non-use. 

car39
car39 HalfDork
12/18/18 3:40 p.m.

Find out if it's been RDR'd (receipt of dealer retail) yet.  The warranty clock starts from date of RDR, not the date it crosses the end of the driveway.  Sometimes, the mfg will offer an incentive at the end of the model year, based or RDR, so they can report more sales.  You report the sale, collect the money, and hope to move it quickly.  Doesn't always happen, and you have the 2 year old "new" car on your lot.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/18 7:11 p.m.
Duke said:
Antihero said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Antihero said:

Its sat for 2 years because no one wants them, just how many people do you think are asking about these cars?

Probably due to them coming in dead last in reliability......

And being butt ugly

You think this is butt ugly?

I guess styling truly is subjective.

Yes, and Volvos in person always seem worse to me.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/18 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Fair enough, though I disagree. 

wirewick
wirewick New Reader
12/20/18 1:39 p.m.

In reply to car39 :

This was the case. Warranty started about 13 months ago. They conveniently informed me of this after several hours of deliberation at the dealership and just before I was ready to sign the paperwork.

I bought a 100k Volvo/3rd party warranty at cost from the finance guy so the 1 year off the factory warranty won't really come be noticed down the road.

And, oh yeah, I got the car. It's actually beautiful in person and it is a joy to drive. Everything about it is spectacular. I wish I could say the same about the dealer I bought it from. They were incompetent liars, period. I was close to walking away, but I got the price I wanted and I don't have to deal with them at all going forward, so I stuck it out. I am closer to a different dealership for service and warranty needs.

I beat the crap out of them on price; got it for $27,900 plus tax and fees which is just over my target $30K OTD (got it for $30.7K not including extended warranty). Not bad for a $47,500 MSRP car at a discount of $20K off MSRP.

But yeah, the dealership was under new management and the whole process was a mess. I did preliminary negotiating over email with the General Manager. She explicitly said that the oil was changed, the battery was replaced, and "all service" was taken care of. I snuck over and talked to the service manager while I was there, and he confirmed that in fact NOTHING had been touched on the car.

I explained this to the General Manager, at which point she tried backtracking. She started saying that the oil didn't actually have to be changed, and the battery is fine (its not, and service didn't even check it). She took another $100 off for me to get the oil changed because the techs were gone for the day by then. Also, the battery is covered under warranty, but still, I’m nauseated by how sleazy some people in this industry can be. Again, she said everything was done and when push came to shove, I find out she lied to me in writing, and backtracked by saying "it doesn't need anything."

On top of all that, is the most disrespectful, unprofessional part of the experience. After coming back from the test drive with my dad, we were ready to sit down, start looking at the numbers, basically ready to buy the car. One of the sales managers literally intercepts us as we are walking through the front door and tells us that another customer would like to drive the car. Bear in mind that the car had been sitting for over 500 days and we had already been looking at it for the past 2 hours or so, after a 2 hour drive to get to the dealership. I could not believe that these people would not be willing to hold the car to the side for us. The implication was that we needed to act immediately on it, or get into a bidding war with another customer, possibly missing out on the opportunity to buy the car. My dad and I felt so disrespected that we were ready to...I dont know, leave, but it took every ounce of restraint in my body to not slap the ever-living F$%K out of this smug sales manager who didn't look or act a day past 20 years old.  I think what happened is that the General Manager regretted giving me such a good deal and realized the mistake when another customer was there ready to buy, and, probably tried to get us out of there so they could make more money from the other guy.

I digress, we told them we would buy the car on the spot; we were only $700 apart at that point, and the other customer did want to buy our car. He would later buy another lesser equipped 2017's they had on the lot.

In addition to all that, I noticed that the car had a curbed rim coming back from detail.  We are getting reimbursed.  They also lost one of the keys; we expect the key to come in the mail or reimbursement for that as well, if it isn’t found.  And after all that, they couldn’t even be bothered to reset the service light. 

It was an awful, stressful, bad experience.  Autonation San Jose, you should be ashamed of yourselves. 

The level of disrespect and complete lack of professionalism makes me want to take my complaints up the corporate ladder of the dealer network (Autonation is a large corporation with 360 stores), and possibly to Volvo Cars of America.  This dealer’s actions do not reflect well upon the brand’s reputation.

Sorry for the gigantic rant.  At the end of the day, I got a great deal on a car that I love.  That’s what matters most.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/20/18 1:48 p.m.

Congrats on the car.

So this "other buyer" appeared just as you appeared. Hmmm. 

I had a similar experience when I bought my 2016 WRX Limited, from a new Subie dealer. I complained on Google/Yelp/Corporate/BBB, and I got a $500 Mortons dinner, $1500 Subaru bucks, and a Gold warranty.  Be squeaky - get the grease.... 

wirewick
wirewick New Reader
12/20/18 1:51 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

They rolled up in his and her's Tesla Model X's.  I tend to be a skeptic, but I think they were legit buyers.  If not, I applaud the dealer for putting on such theatrics.  The couple was there with 3 kids and they ended up in the finance office at the end of it all.

What do you recommend I say in the complaints I am preparing?  Also I am curious to read about your Subaru experience.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/20/18 1:52 p.m.

They were probably there to trade a X into a XC90 with 3 kids.... 

wirewick
wirewick New Reader
12/20/18 1:58 p.m.

No, they bought a V60.  Unless, you know, giant conspiracy theory.  They probably have 5+ cars, San Jose is full of tech millionaires.   They rolled in with their 14 y/o kid's double bass to see if it fit in the back.  They probably just wanted something big enough and safe for the kid when he get's his permit.

What's your Subaru story?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/20/18 3:36 p.m.

Instead of writing 19 pages:

All negotiation done on phone, with VIN. Confirmed on email. Go there with full cashier check, for a Limited WR 6MT. Guy is giving me keys to a Premium. I didn't buy the Premium. VIN doesn't match. They say they can't honor my Limited deal. I have print out of email from their manager with VIN and purcahse agreement and deposit slip. 

I leave dealership. They call back another 2 hours later. Come back next day.

They change amount on purchase contract. I refuse to pay. They want social security, I refuse to give, it is a full cash transaction. I leave. Decided I don't need a WRX. 

A week later, they call to apologize on behalf of dealer sales people. Said will make it right. Pick me up from my office.  Once there, find out, they made mistake on sales tax (they overcharged $850), due to wrong county. I had a cashier check, so I got it in writing that they will credit me, which wasn't a big deal at the time. Only if I knew.   

I tell finance manager NO to all questions/offers. He is unhappy couldn't sell me anything. 

3 months later, no money from dealership that they owe me. After Google/yelp complain, owner of dealer (one of the largest dealership group), calls me personally, sends courier with check to my office.  Go to cash check at Chase Bank, check bounced. 

Wrote another scathing letter to BBB, filed complaint.  2 weeks later, another courier check, this time check was good. Sent me Morton gift certificate with it. 

Whole time Subaru NA was trying to get their finance guy to give me my money back and couldn't. Thus after I finally got it, they gave me the Subaru bucks, and a warranty.   Sold car 4 months later, with 4,800 miles, couldn't deal with the crappy quality of the car anymore. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YgQbI0YsaW8CfkdwAz8d5DFztmmSDSRb8WX1rvxtAPSiK8h8Et5doCj0FkkKjuJv