Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/8/09 9:56 a.m.

http://jalopnik.com/5309278/grassroots-motorsports-competitor-builds-awd-hybrid-fiero?autoplay=true

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/8/09 9:59 a.m.

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone from here made it. I had my bets on Ansonivan, though.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/09 9:59 a.m.

It was only a matter of time!

I'm surprised they didn't link to the build thread. They must have been in it.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
7/8/09 10:24 a.m.

I've actually made Jalopnik with the Tunachuckers car - twice. not to brag...

Murilee belongs here. Most of the newer staff cover various models of 2010 Mustang though, it's a shame.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
7/8/09 10:24 a.m.

oh, and congrats!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/8/09 11:12 a.m.

Saw that last night. Very cool.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps New Reader
7/8/09 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Tim Baxter:

Very cool indeed. Neat car...

Brust
Brust Reader
7/8/09 11:25 a.m.

I made it about 2 years ago: Midget Swap

But the fiero is much more extreme.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/8/09 11:45 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I'm surprised they didn't link to the build thread. They must have been in it.

Ditto...it may have at least informed a few people that didn't understand/believe/know stuff about the swap, if they cared to learn. The author also had a couple of minor inaccurate comments about the engine and suspension, but hasn't updated the post since I emailed him. No biggie.

I never expected to make it to the front page of Jalopnik with this project, especially before it has even hit the streets. Pretty cool! Hopefully I can have some video of it on the streets this weekend.

Bryce

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/8/09 12:05 p.m.

Bryce, cool beans man, now I really wish I could I was there for the first time it spun under it's own electric power

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/8/09 12:13 p.m.

Very nice, Bryce! The closest I came was a pic of one of my drivers used as an example of LeMons hoonage. Not real sure what to think about that...

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
7/8/09 2:28 p.m.

Congrats are definitely in order.

But after reading the comments it still confirms that GRM has the best board and members. Some of those guys are tools.

Keep it rockin' Bryce you have way more brain power and patience than I.

RobL
RobL Reader
7/8/09 3:35 p.m.

Congrats - Welcome to the club!

I've made it a few times now with the Schumacher Taxi Service.

http://jalopnik.com/5298127/citation-x+11-gears-up-for-lemons-new-england-will-prove-x+body-superiority

Black helmet and green shirt.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
7/8/09 4:51 p.m.

Actually a few GRM-ers made the BA/BE vs Lemons drag race coverage.... Connie (my soul sucking lincoln) taking the cover shot and lots of Gregtivo's Volare, Sonic's Fiero and Jtwaite's Rocket 88 pics.

break-out-the-calendars-lemons-versus-babe-rally-cars-at-the-dragstrip

tuna55 wrote: Murilee belongs here. Most of the newer staff cover various models of 2010 Mustang though, it's a shame.

After giving Murilee several rides down the strip in Connie and can say he is in spirit one of us!

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/8/09 6:49 p.m.

Wow, some of you guys are getting awfully technical about Jalopnik representation! I/My car has been in the 24 Hours of LeMons coverage multiple times, but that didn't surprise me because they do the best coverage of the 24 HoL out there. Statistically speaking, it's pretty damn hard to do LeMons without getting into Jalopnik, and I've done five 24 HoL events. Making the front page with the Fiero build did surprise me, however, I definitely didn't expect that kind of audience....I just wanted to show some of the $200X competitors something new.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Making the front page of Jalopnik is cool, but it's WAY cooler that (some) people appreciate the project for what it is. I'm having a lot of fun with it, even if I am tired all the time. It's hard to believe I've only been working on this for six weeks! Only six more weeks to go until I drive down to San Diego...back to the garage!!!

Bryce

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/8/09 7:09 p.m.

It's about time! I've been saying that someone should make an AWD MR2 out of EV / Prii components for about 5 years now.

Where is the link to the build diary?

How are you synchronizing the drivetrains?

Good show!

ArthurDent
ArthurDent New Reader
7/8/09 8:55 p.m.
Brust wrote: I made it about 2 years ago: Midget Swap But the fiero is much more extreme.

I love your Midget swap! Speaking of which how did you get the T50 and Smith's speedo hooked up together? I'm about to try the same in my Locost. Thanks.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
7/8/09 9:09 p.m.

Worth the link-click:

"So now it will be to still pull itself along when the engine catches fire? Convenient. Kinda like a deer dragging itself to the side of the road after being tagged by an old F-150.

Rear legs might not work, but it ain't givin' up!"

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
7/8/09 9:33 p.m.

Congrats, that's cool!

I made it too, couple years ago:

http://jalopnik.com/190520/shabby-dolls-an-ode-to-beaters

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
7/8/09 9:45 p.m.

Nach ... How heavy is the e- mill? It sounds like you're not doing much to the front suspension ... is that correct or an over simplifacation by the author?

Very cool ride BTW!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
7/8/09 10:05 p.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote: Nach ... How heavy is the e- mill? It sounds like you're not doing much to the front suspension ... is that correct or an over simplifacation by the author? Very cool ride BTW!

Nash-methinks we need a link to the build thread. Too Little-oversimplification is too kind. The front suspension is the product of a Grassroots encyclopaedia of part and fabrication knowledge.

Brust
Brust Reader
7/8/09 11:01 p.m.

In reply to ArthurDent: I won't jack anymore than to say: 70-79 corolla speedo cable with .100 id and .125 od square brass tube from mcmaster. Speedo cable: $4.95 from rockauto. Brass tube: you need .25" but have to buy a box of 10 12" pieces at $18. Needless to say, I have plenty of spare.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/8/09 11:24 p.m.

Here's the build thread for those who care:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/west-coast-2009-challenger-awd-fiero-hybrid/10519/page1/

Bryce

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eCBXFNlsTbJtEpMlSSS3IjeE1vRmmyCT3Kw4tQAQLk9ojOpO0EAQXN9QrVRvkqbX