1 2 3
failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/10/15 5:59 a.m.

I get 17 mpg in my 300ci 86 F150 4 speed overdrive.

Thats even with the wrong carb from an earlier truck that has been questionably tweaked by me (i have no idea what i'm doing) over the years to keep it idling ok.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
6/10/15 6:59 a.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin:

You're very correct, Mercedes diesels are spinny little things. I have basically the OM617 in my 300TD wagon, except the N/A version, and it'll sit all day at 75 mph and just whirr away. Top gear in the factory automatic 4 speed is 1:1 and the final gear is 3.49 or something. If you could adapt a Toploader or something to it that would probably work OK...not too many 1:1 5th gear manual boxes out there. Alternatively (although less elegantly) you could run 4.10 gears with an OD trans. You'd lose about 1% power due to gearing losses, but still have the RPMs you need to maintain cruising speed.

The 300D/TD/CD turbo models used like a 3.07 final drive, but they were extremely laggy off the line. When I test drove one, I felt like my N/A wagon was faster to about 20 mph due to the gearing. Of course, the turbo will waste it once it gets the snail spinning.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
etYKQVMvONPBBbytdtTC6ciwWEN4JfZoFWs3GdUXWHAi1MH5rn27ReDnKSnFFcqn