car39
car39 Reader
6/29/10 1:08 p.m.

Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team (CART) is holding a track day at Monticello South on July 19. After the great day we had at Lime Rock a week ago, the response to this event has been underwhelming. I don't think the price ($220) is a killer for a full day, and we hold the car count to less than 70. Is there something we're missing selling this event? We had to stay away from the full course because of the dollars involved.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/29/10 1:39 p.m.

I don't see anything wrong - have you cross-posted the BMWCCA and PCA chapter web sites (Delval & NJ, Genessee Valley, Patroon, NYC, Schattenbaum, Riesentoter... etc?)

Is it open track or is there to be instruction too?

car39
car39 Reader
6/29/10 3:55 p.m.

I posted on spec miata & e30 sites. We run open track with limited instruction. If you're a novice, you get a couple of laps with an instructor. If you're a menace, you get a LOT of laps with an instructor. You can also get instruction by asking. We usually run open track, unless we're close to max, then we run sessions to make the time allotment fair. We had one driver do 275 miles at Pocono and one of our regulars broke 300 miles a few times.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/10 4:01 p.m.

For anyone who has never seen Monticello, it is amazing. $220 to drive there is a bargain.

I'd be there, but the date just doesn't work for me.

CART puts on great events.

6/29/10 4:04 p.m.

I was just up there instructing for the NJ BMW guys on the full course. Its a really nice facility and its close to NYC so I can't imagine that if you get the word out you would have any issues filling it. I would come for the open track myself except its my birthday and the Mrs booked us a B&B over the weekend.

car39
car39 Reader
6/29/10 4:36 p.m.

550 emails an ad in Grassroots for the last 4 months, an ad in the local Porsche club magazine, multiple forum postings, every track schedule I can find, and we're still not full. I can't get onto the BMW and Porsche club forums because I don't belong to the clubs.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
6/29/10 5:45 p.m.

Wow, I didn't realize the club was having that much a problem filling the event. I'd go, but I'm having some cooling issues with the MR2. Lately I've needed to take the hood off so I don't heatsoak the intercooler. If I can figure it out in time, I'll be there.

6/29/10 5:53 p.m.
dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/10 6:45 p.m.

I know that I was targeting making a least one CART Auto-x event by the time the season was over, but things have been really busy lately. I'm hoping for next year at this point!

The economy seems to be impacting the toy market, too - I'm in a local Mustang club and have seen a lot of toys up for sale lately...

Sounds like a good deal, though, I'm sure those that attend will definitely get their money's worth!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/10 7:41 p.m.

That looks great!!! I drove with COM many years back. your club looks like what COM was back in the late 80's early 90's. I also really like your prices!!!! Now All I need is some extra time.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
6/29/10 11:06 p.m.

I drove Monticello last year, it was great. IIRC it's a thinking track with a couple of tricky hairpins. Have fun!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
6/29/10 11:52 p.m.

I would be a "novice" and I only have one seat in the car.

Plus my racing budget is going to the Okemo Hillclimb race and two AutoX events in July, plus a head rebuild.

Dashpot
Dashpot New Reader
6/30/10 6:20 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: That looks great!!! I drove with COM many years back. your club looks like what COM was back in the late 80's early 90's. I also really like your prices!!!! Now All I need is some extra time.

COM did a 2 day on the full course back in early May - attendence was huge and the track was fantastic. I strongly suggest you or anyone else out there who enjoys DE's get out there sometime this year. Once their clubhouse is done and club membership increases they'll cut back on track rentals and we'll lose the chance to run a super cool track:

http://monticellomotorclub.com/gallery/videos/a-lap-with-jeff-gordon/

So get it while the gettin's good.

Unfortunately I'm already signed up for another group out there in July.

Josh
Josh Dork
6/30/10 6:29 a.m.

How does the club view s2000s with the stock roll hoops?

car39
car39 Reader
6/30/10 7:32 a.m.

Open cars have to have 4 point SCCA approved bars.

6/30/10 7:47 a.m.
Dashpot wrote: I strongly suggest you or anyone else out there who enjoys DE's get out there sometime this year. Once their clubhouse is done and club membership increases they'll cut back on track rentals and we'll lose the chance to run a super cool track:

I'm not buying this one... every single club that has ever built a motorsports complex has started off "Exclusive" in advertising to those first few members and then found that they suck at math. First the cheaper memberships come out... 25k, 10k, 5k, 2k... then they realize they can pull in 30k/day renting to BMW, PCA, NASA... and then its just another track.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi New Reader
6/30/10 8:08 a.m.

Do T-Tops count as "open"?

Second question - have you opened this up to the CT-z-car club or the NYZCC? The NYZCC in particular has a large number of track enthusiasts.

Dashpot
Dashpot New Reader
6/30/10 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Limerock is only available for half days now isn't it? It's been retro-fitted as a "country club track" and non member access has gotten more expensive/less available. Monticello was built specifically as a private club track with NYC types targeted. If/when they meet their quota (next year, 2 years, more?) our access will be severely cut back or eliminated by design. I have no idea whether/when they'll meet their goal, but definitely want to get some more runs in before that happens.

6/30/10 9:30 a.m.
Dashpot wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Limerock is only available for half days now isn't it? It's been retro-fitted as a "country club track" and non member access has gotten more expensive/less available. Monticello was built specifically as a private club track with NYC types targeted. If/when they meet their quota (next year, 2 years, more?) our access will be severely cut back or eliminated by design. I have no idea whether/when they'll meet their goal, but definitely want to get some more runs in before that happens.

I instructed at Lime Rock for a full day with BMWCCA in April and passed over atleast one more since. They also host club & pro racing for extra ching. The 1/2 days are new - but I can't imagine a scenario where that is going to be successful. I am not hauling a trailer to a glorified oval with one left turn for 1/2 a day when the Glen, 2 tracks at NJMP, Pocono, Montecello, 3 tracks at Summit Point and Beaver Run are all within a single fuel tank's distance.

Dashpot
Dashpot New Reader
6/30/10 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

I agree completetly, just worried that Monticello will follow suit and we'll lose a great track. Soon. The Glenn's a great track too, but another 1.5 hr haul from here in the MA/NH area.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/10 10:33 a.m.

So where are the car requirements safty requirements etc on the clubs web site? Quite honestly I felt like I was swimming in quicksand trying to navigate it. IT was late and I was tired so that may not have helped.

My 924s was built for TT stuff but I have been street driving it for the last 7 years or so. It would be a hoot to get it back on track. Hell I could pull one of the MR2's out of storage. The motor needs freshening but so does the driver so the two should cancel each other out.

car39
car39 Reader
6/30/10 11:30 a.m.

Lime Rock went back to full days this year, we just ran there on the 17th. I agree, Monticello may want to return to club only, but I don't see how that is going to happen in the next 7 -10 years.

T-tops are o.k. We've advertised this event on every forum we could think of. We've had Lemons car, daily drivers and few vehicles that I thought you would need a tetnus shot before you could touch it.

safety rules at: http://www.cartct.com/trial_rules.shtml

FLATLINE
FLATLINE New Reader
6/30/10 2:48 p.m.

I feel your pain.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nav7PLOuKkXdrCCO7J6xtO5iBW0NdwR53bUyoBzGxQTjVrK4nXdheGABbsOCBpzi