1 2 3
racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/18/18 8:41 a.m.

First off, I’ll say that she’s alive, and I havn’t heard of anyone else being injured. She does have back injuries, however.

https://youtu.be/G2A_GrUHZmo

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/18/18 8:55 a.m.

Watching the race highlights now.  That course is a crazy Chinese Monacoc knockoff.  Crazy barriers everywhere you look.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/18 9:19 a.m.

When are they going to shut down that race? It has one of the worse safety records of any major race on the planet. Does someone need to die? 

Will
Will UltraDork
11/18/18 9:31 a.m.

Apparently she's well enough to tweet that she's okay.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/18 9:43 a.m.

I'd love to see further up the track for what initiated that. She was moving at a helluva pace when hitting that car turning in. surprise

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/18/18 9:45 a.m.

I’m hearing that she hit debris that flattened tires on the same side of the car.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/18/18 9:51 a.m.

Wow.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/18/18 10:06 a.m.

The luck required for her to be tweeting is amazing. From the video it looks like her head fit right in the photographer cutout. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/18 10:40 a.m.

From what I'm reading, two photographers and a marshal were injured in the crash as well.

https://wtf1.com/post/heres-the-latest-on-everyone-involved-in-floerschs-macau-crash/

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/18 10:42 a.m.

I’m waiting for the video from the camera stand that was hit. It’s Amazing that this didn’t result in deaths. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/18/18 10:52 a.m.

Holy E36 M3. How fast was she going?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/18/18 12:11 p.m.

stuck throttle or something?

sergio
sergio Reader
11/18/18 12:29 p.m.

There was an unbelievable amount of luck in this crash. The track is too narrow, was it last year the cars blocked the whole track from a crash? And just about the whole field was in it?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/18/18 3:05 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

In slow motion, she was going backwards when she hit the car and went airborne and very fast,as, no brakes

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/18 3:17 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

When are they going to shut down that race? It has one of the worse safety records of any major race on the planet. Does someone need to die? 

Want to shut down the TT on the Isle of Mann as well?

There has been 252 deaths there, no outrage.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/18/18 3:29 p.m.

Holy E36 M3 surprise

She was well over the curb, brake or throttle malfunction?

Like shot out of a cannon.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/18/18 3:30 p.m.

In reply to sergio :

Yes and there was a fatality in the motorcycle race last year as well.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/18 3:48 p.m.

Wow.  That is crazy.

Those cars are moving down that straight.  When you don't have the ability to brake due to tires or the car is unsettled, things happen in a hurry.

Anybody have slow motion of this?

Edit:  watched the clip til the end.

How the efff did anybody there survive that?  If I was the car designer I'd be getting drunk right now celebrating that I saved somebodies life.  Wow!

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/18/18 4:19 p.m.

wow.  amazing that someone could survive that.  

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/18/18 4:29 p.m.
z31maniac said:
bmw88rider said:

we should probably shut down public roads overall, since tens of thousands of people die on them annually. 

--

IDK, racing is inherently dangerous. It's up to the driver/team to decide if it's unsafe and then not run. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
11/18/18 4:44 p.m.

OMG!  That was brutal!  Just imagine if there had been spectator stands there. 

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
11/18/18 5:04 p.m.

Reports have said the field had just re-started after an earlier incident; this was only (like) lap 4. The corner crew supposedly (and stupidly) left the the yellow lights on after the initial accident. The cars were bunched-up on a straight with a trap speed over 170mph.

Someone in mid-pack actually saw the yellow and checked-up; too late for the Ms. Floersch to react. She hit the car at terminal speed, essentially lost the suspension, got turned around and was probably doing at least 150mph when she launched over a car that was at the corner apex. I wonder if there was a data-logger in the car that captured the g's when she stopped so abruptly.

Everyone involved was oh so lucky that things didn't go differently. One this is for certain; Dallara manufactures some damn strong cars.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/18 5:19 p.m.

surprise

Holy bleeping crap!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/18 5:21 p.m.
irish44j said:
z31maniac said:
bmw88rider said:

we should probably shut down public roads overall, since tens of thousands of people die on them annually. 

--

IDK, racing is inherently dangerous. It's up to the driver/team to decide if it's unsafe and then not run. 

I'm glad you know what I'm getting at. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/18 5:22 p.m.

I think it may have been better that she went over the wall as the metal thing she hit looked like it bent and dissipated energy over a bit more time than had she hit the wall. The wall would have been an instant stop. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hEESIr8LeuG5vVPgrMUZKcd4Ri2aFJyC6AvlRkpbIBCp4ypZizzwqjLlWDh4ZfgU