1 ... 8 9 10
GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
9/25/18 8:17 p.m.

If your area has a Habitat for Humanity ReStore, I advise the thread to look into those as well. They sell building materials that they took out of remodels and that people donate. A lot of stuff is really cheap. The one near me sells countertops for a buck for example. There's also a "garage" section for things taken from garages... so just let your imagination run free.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/25/18 8:20 p.m.

Picking up hose on the highway will get you in a heap of trouble if you're married. laugh

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/25/18 9:29 p.m.
n8 said:

This thread is awesome and I just want to say that everyone is screwed if you ever decide to enter the $20xx Challenge (assuming that you haven't).

Thanks! glad you like the thread. I've never entered the challenge but I've built many challenge priced vehicles over the years. I've got a 81 Malibu that I've got less than challenge money in but I don't keep records and I doubt anyone would believe I built it for under 2 grand plus there would probably be complaints that "fair market value" should be used for some of the expenses even though I didn't spend any money. . I might go run exhibition some year just to hang out and meet folks. The only thing that might possibly get me to enter would be a "Kit car" sub class.

I'm sure there's quite a few people in a similar situation on this forum that could build really nice cars for challenge money but they don't enter because it wouldn't be fair to the DIY guys working in apartment parking lots, car ports, etc. or because they would rather spend their time on a project with a better ROI. 

Here's the Malibu. Fully rebuilt 357 SBC with MSD ignition, mini starter, Canton pan, headers, TCI T-400 trans, Hotchkis suspension, Flowmaster stainless exhaust, GN 10 bolt rear with 3.73 gears. Landau vinyl top and B pillar trim are missing in pic.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/81%20Malibu/DSCN0011-1.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/81%20Malibu/81Malibu127.jpg.html][/URL]

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/25/18 9:47 p.m.

So getting back to the kitchen. I disassembled all of the cabinets so I could swap around doors, hinges, etc. This way I could have doors open in appropriate directions and make everything look as nice as possible without spending any money and not have it look really funny. I cut stuff up to make back splashes, sink fascia,  kick panels and other pieces. Then I used some Rustoleum Painters Touch semi gloss black on everything for uniformity. It killed me to "Paint" quality cabinets but I had almost a full quart left from some car project  (no money out) so it got used and it's good enough.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/001-2.jpg.html][/URL]

n8
n8 New Reader
9/26/18 12:34 p.m.
NOT A TA said: ...because it wouldn't be fair...

Exactly my point! haha

You should try to make it up to the Challenge to at least hang out and spectate if you can.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
3/29/20 8:05 p.m.

I miss this thread.

Update?

03Panther
03Panther Reader
4/10/20 5:35 a.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT :

I would not have found this without your bump, so thanks!

just say and read straight through. Fantastic!

solfly
solfly Dork
9/24/20 11:55 a.m.

Just read this whole thread. Stealing some ideas. Bump.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/23 2:24 p.m.

Not sure if John ever finished his kitchen. This is a popular thread so I wanted to add THIS link here.

If you wonder what happens to your work/dreams after you are gone, click HERE. I don't post this trivially. Live your life your way, build what you want with abandon. Don't conform. When you're gone, someone will build it their way, and that will be cool. Or, it will be built into an Instagram kitchen, and it won't be cool. Either way, you won't care, because you'll be dead.

RIP NOT A TA and thank you for the cool E36 M3 you built and shared.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
9/11/23 2:41 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Couldn't agree more.  Live your life. 

The boomers I work with have been giving me E36 M3 for "taking too much vacation."  I have told them all that I plan to live my life right now and not in 25 years.  If you choose to lose your vacation time that that is your prerogative, but it sure as hell ain't mine.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/23 5:07 p.m.

RIP John.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/19/23 5:27 p.m.

Stumbled across the ranked posts... Reading this while on vacation the week before Christmas 2023. 

RIP John. 

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/19/23 9:22 p.m.

Dude built some remarkably clean stuff. I hope it is appreciated properly by whoever ended up with it. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/23 8:36 a.m.

One of the best threads of all time on GRM.  

Rest in peace my friend!!  

1 ... 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4uAaQ5k5VdMOg5qhU6A10DOO4oe4L193B4RGwQCDQGUyg8hkN9CH8XLw5aS0j8Im