SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/18 8:47 a.m.

Time for a clutch in the Vibe, and I need some recommendations...

The car is an ‘03 Vibe GT with the 2ZZ and a six speed. It has a wonderful top end, but not much torque at the bottom. The car is much heavier than it’s Elise sibling (with the same engine).  It’s a daily street driver (but I drive everything “spirited”)

My standard when doing a clutch has always been to throw in a stage 2 clutch and a lightweight flywheel- not much science. But it has always served me well, until I tried it in an RX8- big disappointment. The car was too heavy and lacked the torque for the lightweight flywheel. 

So, I’m looking for some recommendations. Any success stories?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/18 8:59 a.m.

My XRS Matrix seems to need a heavier flywheel. Much clutch abuse in my hilly area. I'd have the stock flywheel surfaced, and get a good clutch. A centerforce might actually make sense, but I'd say, for a dd, any upgraded clutch would be fine. No actual experience, but I can smell that I'll be doing the same thing before too long. Let me know what you end up doing/results.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/30/18 11:51 a.m.

How many miles did the original clutch last?  I've put high-end aftermarket clutches in a 4AG20 and a 3SGTE and been disappointed. I think the best clutch available is the stock, factory, OEM Toyota clutch and that's what I'm putting in everything else from now on. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/18 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Not sure. 

The car has 175k on it, but no way for me to know how many clutches. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/30/18 2:52 p.m.

That's the original clutch then.  Bet ya.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/18 10:46 a.m.

Hmm...

So, stock is the only recommendation?  Wasn’t expecting THAT!

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
10/1/18 11:06 a.m.

My understanding is that the xrs/gt twins tend to rip through clutches pretty fast. (at least, fast compared to the base Matrix/Vibe/Corolla and other 1zz cars).  The extra weight over the Corolla combined with the lack of torque of the 2zz leads to a lot of clutch wear.  I used a stock aftermarket replacement clutch and pressure plate, without bothering to resurface the flywheel, and it works fine for DD and autocross.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
10/1/18 12:39 p.m.

I can message RedGT if you would like. He dropped a new clutch into the Vibe a bit before I bought it from him. It's not bad honestly for what it is.

I know he said the job was a real PITA.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/1/18 12:58 p.m.

On the flywheel, if you decide to go with a stock flywheel, I found that a new LuK on Amazon was not much more than having the factory unit resurfaced. I think I paid $65 with free shipping for the 1zz flywheel and suspect the 2zz part would be about the same.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/18 1:08 p.m.

Toyota stock clutches tend to be good. If you're going for something aftermarket, you should stick to "stage 1" (usually meaning a slightly uprated pressure plate and disc material that's not a pain in traffic) for anything done on the street that a cop might not immediately pull you over for. "Stage 2" tends to mean a heavier clutch pedal and grabby material/disc layout.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/4/18 2:54 p.m.

My mechanic says the clutch is different on the Vibe than on the Matrix. He’s wanting to use an Advance Auto clutch (because it’s the only one he can find for the Pontiac). 

That doesn’t make me real happy. 

Is that possible, or BS?  I thought the entire drivetrain was Toyota. 

Anyone know any good sources?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/18 3:09 p.m.

May be different part numbers but everything I can find says they're compatible...it's the exact same powertrain after all. How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/RACING-CLUTCH-CELICA-COROLLA-MATRIX/dp/B06XTHS439

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/4/18 3:10 p.m.

The drive train should be the same as the toyotas.  I would get an oem matrix xrs clutch 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/15/18 10:47 a.m.

The decision was a stock Toyota clutch. 

Wow. What a difference. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/15/18 1:18 p.m.

We put in an Exedy P/N KTY14, for what it is worth, though it's a little late now.  No issues, drove great.  That PN is listed as only for a 2000-2005 celica and there's a different Exedy kit for Vibe/Matrix/MR-S.  At the time I had a specific reason for choosing the Celica version but no recollection of why.

Theoretical, how's the car treating you?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/18 1:22 p.m.
SVreX said:

Wow. What a difference. 

I believe you meant, Oh, What a feeling.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/18 3:10 p.m.
SVreX said:

Wow. What a difference. 

Sarcasm? Me thinks so.

Seriously, I would like to know, as that's my leading choice when my clutch inevitably takes a dump.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/15/18 3:20 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

No. I was serious. There was a huge difference. 

But my baseline was a car with a badly slipping clutch. 

It drives great with the Toyota XRS stock clutch. Fast launches, clutch dumps, quick shifting. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/15/18 4:02 p.m.

Was the worn out one the original?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/15/18 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Don’t know

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
10/15/18 5:08 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

I can't complain at all. I've put better than 12k on it since I bought it from you and it gets loaned out constantly.

Changed the alternator, suspension, put on new rear brakes and a new backing plate, and changed the master cylinder after it let go. Besides the backing plate it's pretty reasonable to maintain, at least compared to the MS3 and the RX-3.

I had the VVT-L working for a while after cleaning it and bench testing it off the battery but it stopped again. I think the actuator having some issues. Waiting for something with the same rear brakes to show up at the wrecker so I can rob the part I need to fix the weak handbrake and grab the lift actuator.

It really is a pretty solid mode of transportation.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p0NttSvNmEY1UgEpg1VTcU8xl93SwDjSembd9DD8TLOBywYFtnm9sQJahg6O72KW