1 2
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/1/19 11:50 a.m.

What about the Suzuki H v6 that was developed with Mazda assistance?  It is supposed to be a close cousin to the KL and came in north/south orientation from the factory.   I don't know what is swappable between the Mazda and Suzuki engines.  I know this engine has been of interest around here in the past.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/19 3:46 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Can you get it cheep?  What trans bolts to it?  You don't see Suzuki's in the yards any more (or on the street) so I can not imagine that it is a very common motor any more and getting parts for them must be real fun.  And most importantly does it have that exhaust note?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
3/1/19 7:19 p.m.

Cheep?  Don't know.  Should be...

Trans?  There were five-speed manuals behind it in the XL-7 and Grand Vitara.  I don't know exact years, 2004 seems to be an option, so the cars should be at the bottom of the depreciation curve at this point.

I drive a Suzuki daily so I see mine.  Not one of the models you're looking for though.

I can't directly speak to the exhaust note but the little bit I found online says "kind of".  I think the difference is the Suzuki 2.7 has a 6500 RPM redline.  I imagine the others in that family are the same.  The power numbers for the 2.5 version of the Sukuzi has very similar power numbers to the Mazda 2.5 (the lower power one, anyway, there's the 190 HP version that didn't come to America).

This feels like the sort of thing Zombie Wolf would know a lot about.

daeman
daeman Dork
3/1/19 9:42 p.m.

This was the locost build that I referred to earlier in the thread which introduced me to Clare's crap engineering stuff. 

May also prove useful for info on mating a k series v6 to a rwd Mazda transmission.

dean1484
3/2/19 8:47 a.m.

I have been over that site and it is a fantastic resource.  It seems that her adaptor plate with the starter bracket is the easy way to go.  Then there is teh K member she makes for the Miata that looks like it would make some of the plumbing easier.  Great site and she looks to be a very talented person.  

dean1484
3/5/19 3:12 p.m.
alfadriver said:
dean1484 said:

I think Tim and Tom should look at the Crap Engineering stuff and consider a K series Miata project. I know that there have been a lot of Miata projects but if for no other reason the sounds that a uncorked K series makes is up there in the top two or three engine symphony’s that I have heard. Just glorious noises and then the over run spitting fire.  As one Mr Clarkston said “I am having a crisis”. laugh 

It is also an in brand swap. The red line is up there with the best of them. Also there is no Honda tax for the motor. These motors are cheep and plentiful.  

Did I mention the sound?  I would take a power hit just to get that soundtrack. 

Does it have to be a K series, or just a Mazda V6 into a Miata?  We (Research and Advanced) put a Lincoln V6 (which is the same engine as a 6) into a Miata.  It was pretty cool to drive....

Ok so curiosity got the best of me as this is a 3.0L and they came in the Jag S type as well as the X type and the Lincoln LS.  And since ford owned all of these and also was working with Mazda you can say that it was all in the family.  I don't know if the X type variant has a trans to bolt to it and or the mounting provisions for a RWD setup.  The Xtype version is a great motor that ahs 250Hp out of the box if I remember.  I dont know of the other cars that this motor was in have the same HP specs.

BUT dang. . ..   I found a video on youtube about a car that has this in it and it looks like it would be a very good option.  More HP than the K by quite a bit in stock form and the sound track was also really good.  Different for sure but really good. It also wins the the torque department making it a great all around motor not a high strung thing you have to keep it over 4000 rpm. 

This seems like a much easier solution as there are RWD versions of this motor in the Lincoln that came with a manual. Now I really wonder what the HP and torque was in the Lincoln versus the Jaguar variants.

daeman
daeman Dork
3/5/19 3:33 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

She's definitely got a wealth of knowledge when it comes to converting k series v6's to rwd. 

If it doesn't have to be a k series, you could look into the j series v6. Je v6 is 3.0 and set  up for rwd. They share the same 86mm bore and stroke as the Fe 2.0 4 cylinder, along with the f2t's 86mm bore which means there's a fairly good chance some parts bin solutions will make turbo a very real option.

Je v6's were available in manual in mpv's in the US, so that'd be a potential transmission and clutch donor (if anyone comes across one, I'd gladly take a bell housing for later "uses").  Pretty sure the mpv only had the 18 valve version of the je, but HC series 2 and HD 929's had 24 valve versions.

dean1484
3/5/19 4:03 p.m.

Looks like the manual was only in the lincoln LS from 01-02  In 03 and 04 they were all automatics

dean1484
3/5/19 4:05 p.m.

Was there a manual RWD 929?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
3/5/19 4:38 p.m.

Yes.  1988 at least, that generation of 929, had a manual trans option.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/5/19 7:10 p.m.
dean1484 said:

You will never ever find those parts. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/5/19 7:27 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The S type and LS motors are identical.  

The LS motor in the Miata is really nice, but not perfect- the intake manifold wasn't modified, so the hood had to be.

But doing some searching for a car for sale... well, I can't find one.  A few years ago, I looked for one locally, and found 3 or 4 of them.  Now, nothing.

I suspect that making an adaptor for the Miata trans will be easier than finding a RWD V6 from a Ford or Jag.  They should be found easily in a 6 or a Tribute- if it has to have Mazda nameplates on them.  But the cheapest of the cheap source would be from a Taurus.  

dean1484
3/6/19 6:30 a.m.

I would want to look at the hp and torque numbers the various motors made and try and pick one based on that. 

I was looking around and found several cars in junkyards. I did not see any running Lincoln’s with manuals in my area and only a coup,e with automatics.  I may go see my local yard and put the bug in there ear to notify me if they get one in. 

I think I may look around copart. 

dean1484
3/6/19 8:00 a.m.

Some quick research and it looks like you would want the 3.0 from the  s type as it has 246 HP.   Other versions were at 197-220 HP.  This is because of VVT.  Mazda also used the VVT version of this motor in some vehicles.  I wonder how hard it would be to retain the OE wiring harness and the ECU to make the VVT work in the transplant.   

Theses guys seem to have it all figured out and sell a complete kit less the motor.  https://www.rocketeerltd.com/

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/6/19 9:31 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Given what is also in a original ECU, unless you transplanted a lot of other stuff (which is a lot easier in the jag or lincoln than a more modern powertrain), I would suggest running MS- since it can handle VVT.  To make sure you map it as best you can, spend as much time driving the base engine to record how it runs- and just repeat that mapping in the MS.

daeman
daeman Dork
3/9/19 4:17 a.m.
JamesMcD said:
dean1484 said:

You will never ever find those parts. 

What he said. 1st Gen mpv v6 would be far more likely. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bg52D0mfOQdfd2scOgTkHBi2LRcoVfkjo0MxPu6T5ScwxoHnxNdgErnatYCYeNTL