1 2
Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/23/22 11:17 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

And Carl, the Ramones look pretty darn sad when you compare them to the Beatles.  Just sayin'.  devil

Do you know that the Ramones named themselves after the name Paul McCartney used to check into hotels? They're practically the same trailblazing band, just from different eras. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 12:05 p.m.

I have to say that I enjoyed my rather grotty MGB GT that I bought for less than &GPB; 500 when I lived in the UK. Not for that long in the end because it wouldn't pass another MOT, but even a low powered rubber bumper one was fun to drive.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 12:34 p.m.

All this mgb talk and mine is sitting in stalled project status in the shop. Better hop to it!!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

If the temperature where you are is anything like it is here, it's way too hot to hop to anything that's not airconditioned.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/23/22 1:45 p.m.

A note on SU throttle shafts. You can ream and fit new PTFE impregnated bushes or you can drill a small hole in the shaft saddle (if it isn't yet too worn) and chamfer it, and apply a drop of oil regularly either by oil can or pull the dipstick and go drip-drip-drip-drip.   Minimizes shaft and body wear (the larger models HD/HD 8  run bushes stock)

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/23/22 1:59 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Nah, no one's offended anyone.  At least not intentionally.  ( I hope Carl has a good sense of humor).  
   There is going to be a little chest puffing out whenever brands are compared and it gets worse when discussing same brands.   In the end anything other than your own car is at least a little inferior. ;-)    

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/23/22 2:54 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

( I hope Carl has a good sense of humor).  

I told you I own a Trabant and I think the Ramones and Todd Rundgren are great. I also drank PBR* before it was cool. You have to have a good sense of humor with those attributes.

* I used to take a lot of flack from my beer-snob friends for my love of PBR, but I always had three reasons that made it better:

1. Tastes just as good warm or cold.
  2. Cheap.
  3. Never run out, friends won't drink it.

Now that the hipsters have discovered PBR, only reason 1 exists anymore.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/23/22 7:17 p.m.

Am I on your list if I tell you I've never drank a full can of beer and I think it's only been 2 or three partial cans I've walked around holding until I could subtly  dump it?  

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/24/22 5:58 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Am I on your list if I tell you I've never drank a full can of beer and I think it's only been 2 or three partial cans I've walked around holding until I could subtly  dump it?  

Me too - wine guy all the way.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/24/22 6:49 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Have you ever tried Honey  Mead or Ice wines?   

tomhargold
tomhargold New Reader
7/25/22 12:29 a.m.

All this MGB vs Miata stuff is a never ending debate. On a personal basis I have solved the problem. I have one of each and use them as my mood dictates. My Miata is a 1990 model with 155,000KMS and I have owned it for over twenty years. My B is a 1974 chrome bumper dual SU carb edition with just over 100,000 miles. I have had it since new. It is still all original; harvest gold factory paint, absolutely no rust anywhere, same soft top since new, original upholstery. It looks great. I know I am a lucky bugger and I don't take it for granted. As far as reliability goes, the Miata is a rock. The MGB has been fetched home on a flat bed three times in 48 years. Each time the failure was the fuel pump. Once the ground wire came loose. The other two times the pump was toast. The second time I replaced it with an electronic one. Reliability is not really an issue if you properly maintain your car. I believe most problems with our older cars are caused by previous idiot owners who have no idea what they are doing, but think that they do. Tinkering is fine but do it right in the first place to avoid future problems. That thinking has worked for me, so far.

capitolatim
capitolatim New Reader
9/13/22 1:42 p.m.

I have a 1964 MGB Mk 1, video story here, thanks to Moss Motors

https://youtu.be/G1NSw7cCrow

I also have a 2013 MX-5 PRHT with 20k miles, almost identical wheel base as the B but 6 inches wider.

There is no comparasion between the two, as you would expect.

Cheers

Tim Clark

carloshermida
carloshermida New Reader
9/13/22 5:36 p.m.

Damn !!!

That is a lot of commenst

I own a 1969 which received a new body  about 10 years ago

I agree the original bodies deteriorated , but so has mine

The fix I did when I got it about 6 years ago , was to install a triptonik electronic ignition

Some times I go for months without starting it  ( Kill switch helps get the battery from discharging)

And if you use starter fluid in the carbs it will crank right up

If not you have to wait about 5 tries for the fuel to get to the carburetor

Someday people will get smart and this things will sell for 100 K

ccrunner
ccrunner New Reader
9/13/22 6:10 p.m.

We have both a LBC and an ND Miata at our house.. The Miata is my wife's, and she adores it- drives it everywhere without fear or hesitation. She's not a fan of our LBC.. Too raw, too old, too whatever for her.. She has no patience for the belief that "Arriving is itself an accomplishment."

Now when I tell her I'm taking the LBC on a trip, she asks me what are the odds of it making it home under it's own power? (50/50?, 60/40?  80/20?).. She thinks she's hilarious.. What a snob!

--ccrunner 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/22 9:19 p.m.
capitolatim said:

I have a 1964 MGB Mk 1, video story here, thanks to Moss Motors

https://youtu.be/G1NSw7cCrow

What a great video!

brownb
brownb New Reader
9/14/22 1:28 a.m.

As much as I have loved all three of the NA Miata's I've owned they are all gone and my MGA remains.  If I couldn't have afforded an MGA I would have a metal dash MGB with overdrive.

The Miata just can't compare in looks and engine sound to my MG's

The Miata is a little more appliance like in its application.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/14/22 8:22 a.m.

My feelings about my MGTD  

Dwight
Dwight New Reader
9/14/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

So, in other words, 'Ya duzint hasta be crazy to own an MGB, but it HELPS?

Dwight
Dwight New Reader
9/14/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

So, in other words, 'Ya duzint hasta be crazy to own an MGB, but it HELPS?

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/14/22 1:49 p.m.

MG had some pretty good ads.  Can't put my finger on why I like this ad (but I'd like to....)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
htsVkxjRTVCvQ0cYQbaSZKG7bpzYRqX3t4nzq2cNKyEIQUfm0CxXvLzLdMyQYD3x