Kitsbeach (Forum Supporter)
Kitsbeach (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/20/21 10:24 p.m.

I've been googling this and the answer is probably NO but is it ok to modify the floor in an STS Miata?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a well-prepared STS Miata (NA) and our club has lost its autocross pad and I'd like to do time attack in the car.

Time attack here requires a roll bar here and some of us are a bit tall, so I'd like to lower the floor like a lot of the Spec Miata folks do.

I've done all the usual seat lowering tricks in this car already, but its not quite enough (especially for my 6' 6" son).

I don't want to disqualify a perfectly good STS car in the hopes we find an autocross pad again.

Any help is appreciated.

1/20/21 10:38 p.m.

Here's a link to another site that discusses the mods

https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/floor-drop-kits-101825/

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/20/21 10:40 p.m.

Nope.

I was looking into it and there's no way it could be legal to alter the tub like that.  I don't even think you could get away with it in prepared. It's one of those straight to mod type things.

It sucks, but then again it would suck if it became a "must have" to lower the driver CG a few inches.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
1/20/21 10:44 p.m.

14.2.B:

The seat, including mounting hardware, must weigh at least 25 pounds and must be attached using the OE body mounting holes/studs. Additional mounting points may be added.

Apexcarver said:

I don't even think you could get away with it in prepared. It's one of those straight to mod type things.

Prepared specifically allows floor and tunnel modifications for tall driver fitment, I think that's a recent change though. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/21/21 12:02 a.m.
Kitsbeach (Forum Supporter) said:

Here's a link to another site that discusses the mods

https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/floor-drop-kits-101825/

That's my install in my NA in that thread (also have it covered in my thread here).  Just wanted to chime in that the Watson racing kit is very complete, and well thought out compared to some of the other kits out there.  It fit great and works great.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/21 6:46 a.m.

I know it's silly but tb joked about how well he fit into his Miata with no seat installed.  Maybe a poured foam seat right on the floor pan?  That should let you revert back to stock seat later on.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/21/21 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

How 'bout a bean bag?  cheeky

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/21/21 8:33 a.m.

I used to run an Ultrashield aluminum seat in my SpecMiata and I have a long torso. I bolted the seat directly to the floor without any tracks or brackets.

1/21/21 3:21 p.m.
dps214 said:

14.2.B:

The seat, including mounting hardware, must weigh at least 25 pounds and must be attached using the OE body mounting holes/studs. Additional mounting points may be added.

Apexcarver said:

I don't even think you could get away with it in prepared. It's one of those straight to mod type things.

Prepared specifically allows floor and tunnel modifications for tall driver fitment, I think that's a recent change though. 

This (above) is what I thought...was hoping for a loophole but glad I asked.!  Thanks for all the replies.

I share the car with a variety of people, from very short to big and tall.   I've got two "as low as you can go" seat and slider setups that are pretty good for no roll bar and autocross (especially in the summer with no top).  The car will probably fit me (just over 6 feet) with a hard dog (M1 Hard Core) bar added, so that is what I'll go with.

Ken

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/21/21 3:25 p.m.

Are you running at a national level or just local events? Are you pointy tip of the field or mid-pack? Is your region all serious business or pretty laid-back? If you're doing just local events and you don't have a bunch of tryhards in the region, it might be worth talking to the region tech guy and seeing if they even care. Like, if you came to our region and said "We lowered the floor just so my son could drive" we wouldn't really care. We don't enforce everything to the very last letter. Obviously, if you're running at national-level events or you're kicking ass at events and piss someone off who wants to protest, then that won't work.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/21/21 4:17 p.m.
dps214 said:

14.2.B:

Apexcarver said:

Of course, DP Miatas don't usually have windshields, let alone tops. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PCEwQ239nMseh9GolprSJDokqKW59MR4gQTv9509Tmp0KH4uoRCa9wrbLYKFa0wk