1 2 3 4 5
Rigante
Rigante Reader
11/30/21 6:26 a.m.

Scaling a 250SWB to the Miata, gives us this, but the front 3/4 view would be a lot different as the nose would stick out a lot further forwards

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/30/21 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Rigante :

Your lightly sketched mods are so cool.  They really help to visualize some options.  

There are some structural interferences that would make some challenges to some of them.  Mainly I have pulled the vertical face in as much as I can without cutting the hood or the impact beam and "frame" horns. Realize this is about 6" shorter then a real Miata Bumper.    If I cut those I could back the whole thing up nearly to the headlights but then I would have to do something about the exposed edge of the hood.  

I can see why people wind up making new fenders and hoods for these.  

That said.  I think this can be workable.

I think I have reached the limit of what I can do with the materials I am willing to use from a soft / rounded edges perspective.  I think the last thing I'm going to try is some covers that put TR3 style half headlight pods above the hood (don't worry this will stay under neath).  I think projecting a grill 1-2" forward to allow for rounding/transition  would look pretty good.  Perspex covers over the lights would be neat.  It's does wind up looking a little gen 1 mustang but also a little Ferrari Monza, 240Z and a lot A-M

​​​​​​

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 8:49 a.m.

I think sharp edges around the headlight openings work. I agree that you really don't want to mess with the hood - of all the panels on the car, it's probably the most difficult to deal with. Also agreed that you could add a little contouring to that flat nose to make it a little sexier.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/21 8:57 a.m.

Much to my surprise I'm really liking this.

Rigante
Rigante Reader
11/30/21 10:07 a.m.

tried to go more aston zagato, but it just looks grumpy, and looks too modern, I think it's the shape of the light covers and the overhang

Rigante
Rigante Reader
11/30/21 10:17 a.m.

ferrari 250bwb glued on at scale

Rigante
Rigante Reader
11/30/21 10:19 a.m.

Exposing more of the wheels from the front helps lose more of the modern feel

nocones
11/30/21 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Rigante :

That's fantastic!!  I will be fabricating that or something close to it tonight..

The more exposed wheels is the plan I just couldn't get the paperboard to work with me to do that.  But I'm glad to see you arrived at the same conclusion that I did about that being critical to making it look less current.  

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/30/21 10:40 a.m.

This is so great! I mean, what better use for a free junk miata? 

Rigante
Rigante Reader
11/30/21 10:46 a.m.

My least favourite bit is the sharp bonnet edge just above the lights, some light covers kinda work if the radius runs into the lip above the grill

This would fit over the hard points. but it's not as nice as that first sketch

Rigante
Rigante Reader
11/30/21 10:53 a.m.

https://youtu.be/JitnDHuU8TE

some nice 60s curves here for inspiration

golfduke
golfduke Dork
11/30/21 11:06 a.m.

I just want to point out this glaring fact- 

No-Cones spends 1.5 hours in his garage and ends up with a Miata with a TR3 door mockup. 

I spend 1.5 hours in the garage and end up looking for a ratchet that I've had in my other hand for the entire time.

Just unbelievable, your imagination and execution shows no limit.  Please accept that as the highest of compliments. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
11/30/21 11:15 a.m.
nocones said:

There are some structural interferences that would make some challenges to some of them.  Mainly I have pulled the vertical face in as much as I can without cutting the hood or the impact beam and "frame" horns...

Those bumper support horns are still there? In other photos they look like they stick out further than that. Impressive. Either way, to be able to get a grill looking 'right', I think you would end up wanting/needing to cut the bumper support out and replace it with a tubular one.

Rigante's sketch from the last page got me liking the grill opening following the contour of the headlight cutouts and hood. Yes it's very A-M in shape, but it also integrates with the surrounding styling features in a very different (and arguably more purposeful) way...

nocones
11/30/21 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

The frame horns are gone but the supports underneath are still there.   It will be interesting to discover what behind the grill looks like once one is actually cut in.  

I'm trying to minimize the modifications to steel structure for the bumper.  Mainly because if I could make it work without it would be better moving forward. (I fully realize the doors result in permanent structural changes to the car).  

I've thought about cutting the hood straight across at the headlights and then just making the front structure work.  But then I have to modify the hood.  

I like the grill shape you have proposed.  The headlights I built almost automatically make you wind up with a DBS looking grill.  I think if I went that way it would be impossible to avoid it just being considered a bad replica AM front end conversion.  

Another one that may work would be to pull the front forward a bit like this.

And going with something Fiat 124 looking.

Keith Tanner
11/30/21 11:55 a.m.

There are worse front ends than a Fiat 124, that's for sure.

I'd recommend you try to keep the lateral bars between the headlights. Not only will this keep your hood latched, there's a surprising amount of rigidity there. That will limit what's possible on some of the nose designs.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/30/21 1:40 p.m.
golfduke said:

I just want to point out this glaring fact- 

No-Cones spends 1.5 hours in his garage and ends up with a Miata with a TR3 door mockup. 

I spend 1.5 hours in the garage and end up looking for a ratchet that I've had in my other hand for the entire time.

You, too, huh? 

nocones
11/30/21 6:41 p.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Thanks for the compliment I understand what you mean and appreciate it.  I know how important our time is and I genuinely appreciate when people spend that time checking out what I build and engaging in it.  Much of what I manage to do quickly is the result of being a sponge following along builds on this forum.  If I spend time looking at something someone built no matter how simple or complex I force myself to try to learn something from it.  I hope that I can pay that forward and help other people with their projects or inspire them to try something new.   

nocones
12/2/21 10:40 a.m.

So after a day off I got out for another 1.5 hour thrash to put in a grill.  I started by adding the perimeter of the grill and having it stick out from the flat sheet.  I then extended the headlight buckets and started filling in with as many pieces as it took to make it look smoothish.  Remember this is all single curvature so it would improve the lines to be made out of foam.   I also increased the radius in the lower corners to expose more tire.  I do need to add something to push the inside rear of these pieces down. The paper curled up about 3" from where I want them to be.  

I apologize profusely for the color.  I ran out of paint I was using and the hardware store didn't have the match.  I bought something that had a cap that matched the Miata okish and it turns out the cap lies.   It is funny I think the color enhances the look of this being photoshop despite being "real".

Overall I like the look.  I wish I had slightly smaller diameter fogs (the stock Miata ones would look great but I only have 1 the second is on the roadside with the fox that went through the OEM bumper).  I even think it looks pretty good with the stock Miata doors.  

Here's a bit more detail where you can sort of get an idea for how I built it.  It is all just hotglued overlap paper and the hard corners are just glued and then cut flush after the glue cools.  

The bumper is about 2" shorter then a stock Miata bumper.  I'm going to cut the OEM one so I can overlay the profile to show how different it is.  

I think I'm going to throw 1 more day at this to do something with the rear bumper then I will pull it out into the driveway this weekend and get some better distance shots. 

As for the future I would really like to see this be real and drive down the road.  I don't have space or time to fix the mechanical parts of the Miata right now and don't have time to finish the bodywork right now.  It would very likely impact the LMP360 for the challenge.  I've had a break from the 360 because it goes to the local Community College tomorrow for a show and talk with the automotive students and I couldn't take it appart.  That means next week I can get back to it.

So I'm just not sure what will become of this.  I need to find a caretaker.  ..

Keith Tanner
12/2/21 10:56 a.m.

I'm fine with the big lights, it suits the era of the styling. This looks really good. I love that you've managed to do this without changing the lines of the hood and this could theoretically be a body kit that is just some front fenders and a bumper cover. Which means you can do something to the fender lines if you want :)

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
12/2/21 11:20 a.m.
nocones said:

I think I have reached the limit of what I can do with the materials I am willing to use from a soft / rounded edges perspective.  ​​​​​​

You just proved yourself wrong in absolutely spectacular fashion! I'm genuinely astounded at that. It looks fantastic. Well done, sir.

The cut down doors and quarters may be the driving force behind this project, but as striking as they might be, I'd argue that they might actually not be the best part to come of it.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Or easier and cheaper yet, why not just a bumper cover with some little 'headlight flares' that overlap the fenders?

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/2/21 11:20 a.m.

I like the big fog lights as well. Overall it's so impressive how good it looks. The cut doors definitely look better than stock in my opinion, but yeah, looks awesome. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
12/2/21 12:08 p.m.

Looks great , finish it off with a mesh grill , something from home depot !

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/21 12:50 p.m.

Man! Someone needs to take this over and finish it.  Preferably with a V8 swap.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/2/21 1:02 p.m.

Wow, this came out great! The headlights look a little Citroen-ish to me (not in a bad way). I do think the doors would be improved by pulling the remaining windows and extending the curve forward a bit more. Egg crate grill?

Keith Tanner
12/2/21 1:17 p.m.
APEowner said:

Man! Someone needs to take this over and finish it.  Preferably with a V8 swap.

With that look, I'm thinking straight six. Who builds a compact straight six that isn't a mile long?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8tIPDFrVkWxGAqJCahPpdPYx3jcJRFVAs8fwFWlrkXJLvQBNLZBbFtm88HV99hli