RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/1/21 8:58 a.m.

I am looking for a Microsquirt or other cheap standalone ecu for a new project and stumbled across a Microsquirt trans controller unit of FB Marketplace for cheap.  Is this just a configuration that can be changed in Tunerstudio or is it a more involved firmware change to convert this Microsquirt back to a standalone ECU? 

I can deal with making a new wiring harness to fit my engine but wanted to ask about firmware/software stuff before I commit to buying this Microsquirt.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/1/21 9:23 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

There is a DIY site you will probably need to buy the right connectors.  You'll want to be able to plug a lap top in to dial in how you want timing and fuel maps modified. 
     The one thing I like about megasquirt is it's self learning. I saw a Jaguar V12 with some wires connected and the Megasquirt sitting on the fender  fire up the engine as soon as they connected the fuel pump. ( oops) 

RacetruckRon
9/1/21 9:42 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

This is not a jaguar thread, not a thread about the connectors and plugging in a laptop.

I am asking a question about the specifics of recalibrating a Microsquirt that was initially sold as a standalone trans controller to be an engine control unit.  Please abstain from commenting further on this thread unless you have useful info that answers my original question.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/1/21 10:01 a.m.

A quick Google suggests it's merely a Firmware difference.

Contact MadscientistMat on here, or DIY Auto Tune directly - I'm sure they would know.

RacetruckRon
9/1/21 10:14 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

That's what I was assuming thanks.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
9/1/21 10:21 a.m.

Remember  MicroSquirt is not a MS2.

Make sure that is a plastic cased mS, you don't want a metal cased one.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/1/21 10:59 a.m.

The firmware is the only difference; the hardware is the same. You'll probably want a new harness.

RacetruckRon
9/1/21 1:59 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Thanks Matt.  That's what I figured and could gather from quick searches but wanted to confirm with you.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/1/21 4:51 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to frenchyd :

This is not a jaguar thread, not a thread about the connectors and plugging in a laptop.

I am asking a question about the specifics of recalibrating a Microsquirt that was initially sold as a standalone trans controller to be an engine control unit.  Please abstain from commenting further on this thread unless you have useful info that answers my original question.

I was helping you by telling you where to go to get the connections you need.I was also telling you about a feature many aren't aware of and giving you an example  of how it works.  
     I'm sorry I don't know anything about your specific car  but I can't imagine  it's anything bad complicated as that. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Opd4tvClrKEE9exoVj2xLtCRLKuSyb4kC6yvqyEivHfc5uYy4smDQYare18lfZn4