1 2
Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/17/13 9:21 a.m.

When some men have a mid-life crisis, the buy a Vette or Porschse and throw their wives over for a physically-well-endowed 20-something.

I am, on the otherhand, very much in love with my wife and have a hankering for old 1970s cars. My mind has been fixated in finding a Super Beetle, Datsun 510 or Toyota Celica of 1970s vintage as an April through October daily driver. I also have a desire to build a small block Dodge Dart as an ESP or even Prepared autocross car, but that is just pure sickness. The problem is that I cannot find anything that is worth buying in the northeast or mid-atlantic regions. Rusted Beetles and beaten up Slant-6 Darts have asking prices which are higher than what I am asking for my just painted, rust-free Shelby Dakota.

This is starting to affect my well being.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/17/13 9:25 a.m.

What's the going rate for rusty Beetles up there? I found a whole bunch of rusty project-quality Beetles yesterday in the central Midwest for less than $500.

Have one shipped/go on a roadtrip with the wife to pick something up?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/17/13 9:26 a.m.

Time for a CL tour across the south. Add $1000 for shipping and get a rust free project delivered to your house.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/13 9:29 a.m.

A beetle with surface rust but in decent working condition can be found out here for probably around $2k. 510s are rather expensive out here though, as are Celicas (although they're not quite at 510 levels).

I can keep an eye on the local CLs to see if anything interesting pops up and let you know?

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/17/13 9:35 a.m.

Somebody posted a 510 sans engine a couple days ago, $500. Wanna say deep south, but don't quote me.

Edit: Link to thread.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/17/13 9:39 a.m.

I am willing to do a days drive with my trailer for the right car. Rusted non-running Beetles aroun me are near $2,000 (if you can find them at all). Running cars are $3,000 and up. Some nice, but not perfect, Beetles are in the $7,000 to $10,000 range. The best offer I received on my fairly nice and well-running Shelby Dak was $3,500.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/13 9:44 a.m.

don;t look at me.. when I turned 42, I dumped my coil over sprung Ti for a 4 door volvo... I always get things backwards

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/17/13 9:48 a.m.

What about an Opel Manta? I know of a really good condition one (listed at $3k) at a used dealer lot down the street from me, I really want it but I don't have any space...

Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/17/13 9:54 a.m.
Raze wrote: What about an Opel Manta? I know of a really good condition one (listed at $3k) at a used dealer lot down the street from me, I really want it but I don't have any space...

Nah, I used to be a Manta fan, but I have lost my taste. I have a friend who restired one a few years back, but had to sell it when the economy went south. It was a very nice car. He had to sell is Opel GT project car as well. Now a GT might tick my fancy. ;)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/17/13 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Moparman:

I have seen a number of roughish looking but running Beetles for around $1000 here.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/17/13 10:00 a.m.

What is it with people who will labour for 200 hours and thousands of $$$ to fix a rotted out Rust-belt car, but wont consider having a car shipped from a dry state?

Not only is the selection better in the dry states, but the rust is absent. 2k will get any car to any state even if it is not running. "Rolling" is a good thing, but might also be in budget if it is not.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/17/13 10:04 a.m.

Around here ratty beetles are $2k up. Decent ones are $4k up and most have been modified. Almost never see a 510, so any are going to be big $$. I did happen to see a redneckish looking family in a very clean 510 wagon the other day. I wondered if they knew what they have. Dart-like cars with a 318-340 have always been on my radar, as well as a 66-67 318 Satellite. You used to be able to get them reasonbly around here, but the prices have gone up a lot.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/17/13 10:11 a.m.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/3405565887.html

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/3547163123.html

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/3551706680.html

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/17/13 10:13 a.m.

This '75 Valiant is for sale at a little used car lot right off the Willow Grove exit of the turnpike. They are asking $3900. I don't think that's firm. It's got 69K on the clock, 318/auto with BBP disks and an 8 1/4 rear.

Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen
1/17/13 10:27 a.m.

Ohh, I like that Val! Looks like a fully loaded "brougham"? As long as it's not rusty under the top, could be a good buy. Great drivetrain starting point.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/17/13 10:30 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Original 340 cars are now outside the realm of Grassroots.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/17/13 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

In my opinon, that is overpriced. Bring it down to $2500 and I would be interested. 75 might be the worst year Dart with which to work. I would love a 68-72. As long as it is not rotted, I would be interested.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/17/13 10:37 a.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: Original 340 cars are now outside the realm of Grassroots.

Agreed. But one can still fantasize.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/17/13 10:42 a.m.

Interestingly I got to drive an older Beetle the other day. I saw a cool looking one next to me at the light and gave the guy a thumbs up and started talking. I started to get strange feelings in my nether regions.

We pulled over and I looked his car over and he asked me if I wanted to drive it.

I'd forgotten all the little idiosyncrasies, but they came flooding back. It is a peddle to the metal driving experience at all times. There is no power in reserve.

Then he started asking me if I knew any way to make the heater actually work and reminded me of how hard it was to keep the windshield unfogged.

No, I no longer want an old Beetle, but I could be persuade to have a VW based Dunebuggy again!!!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/17/13 10:51 a.m.

My first two vehicles were a 56 and 61 beetle. Miserable in the winter and rain. I drove with a towel in the passenger seat to wipe the inside of the windshield. Neitehr had working heat. I liked them both, but pedal to the metal describes them perfectly And mine got about 22 mpg because of that.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/17/13 11:00 a.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to Rob_Mopar: In my opinon, that is overpriced. Bring it down to $2500 and I would be interested. 75 might be the worst year Dart with which to work. I would love a 68-72. As long as it is not rotted, I would be interested.

It probably is, it's at a used car lot. Doesn't mean you have to give the asking price.

I looked at it on Christmas. It is solid, spool V8 K, factory disks, electronic ignition. Little old lady car. Could use new rear springs, headliner glued onto the backer, and carpet is ugly. If I had time to mess with it (and Erin didn't think it was ugly) it would be home now.

I don't think '75 is the worst year for Darts to work with. I've had 2 '75's as organ donors. One got sold off and reborn with a '68 nose and tail. Besides this one is a Valiant Brougham, a royal Scamp. Or something like that.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/17/13 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

The interior does not matter as It would be an dedicated autocross car. The seats would be jettisoned in favor of a set of Corbeaus. I would prefer an earlier 5x4 bold pattern car as I am loaded with racing wheels which would fit and matching R tires. I don't much car about four-wheel drum brakes as I use my brakes that much when autocrossing.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/17/13 11:50 a.m.

Not a beetle but priced very attractively. I actually had one of these as my first autocross car, with an auto (that didnt last long)

Would be a killer sleeper with a subie swap ;)

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3550672288.html

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/13 11:51 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: Not a beetle but priced very attractively. I actually had one of these as my first autocross car, with an auto (that didnt last long) Would be a killer sleeper with a subie swap ;) http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3550672288.html

always liked squarebacks

Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/17/13 12:35 p.m.

My wife had a red 71 Squareback Type III. She hated it, Ioved it. I still have the owners manual. I might be all over this!!!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IrA8C1TwZUq8bhtoOUGZm7OAQOdLW09d6MS8nQxjpK5yUDEpBo9SgmMBOgJr6DgV