1 2
TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
4/26/17 4:54 p.m.

Nice to find this thread, I was given a '73 and haven't even brought it home as yet. Bought a lot of parts to repair/replace what's broken or plain old shabby looking, but no real progress yet. Hopefully get to it this Summer, this thread has given me a shot of enthusiasm.

Thanks—

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
4/26/17 5:01 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Sit in one before you buy. Those Buck-Rodgers inspired fenders rob a ton of visibility. They aren't for everyone

Good advice. I can't stand the seating position and would never drive one. I think it's the only time I've ever felt in danger for no good reason.

pirate
pirate Reader
4/26/17 7:29 p.m.

Thanks everyone for your input! I have some commitments for out of town this weekend but plan to go take a close look at the car Monday or Tuesday of next week. I will look closely at those areas suggested by all of you and may have some additional questions. I have never been a impulse buyer and have probably missed good deals along the way but probably also saved some money and grief as a result. I guess we will see. Thanks

pirate
pirate Reader
5/2/17 3:50 p.m.

Well went to look at the car today and it was about what I expected. Has not run since 2002. Car has L82 engine(locked up). three speed automatic, PS, PB and AC. Has been repainted once and paint is in very poor condition and interior is a science project with mold and mildew. Frame was undercoated when new and appears to be very sound but not looked at on a lift. Windshield frame on drivers side appears to be sound however passenger side has rust. When the door is open looking forward just under the windshield, fiberglass covering has broken away from steel rusting and you can see into windshield frame. I do not know if this frame was once tubular or channel but rust appears to be significant. Also do not know how far the rust goes down the frame however there is rust stains on the carpet inside passenger foot well I assume is coming from windshield frame. How repairable is this? Or is this a walk away issue and don't look back. Car can probably be bought for $2500.00

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/2/17 3:58 p.m.

That's not worth $2500 to me. Seems to me like good condition cars of that vintage aren't that much, and what you describe sounds like a lot of zeros involved in fixing. I am no corvette guy, but one large seems on the high side to me.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/17 4:00 p.m.

You should be able to buy a 74-79 automatic non-runner that's been inside a dry garage its whole life for $2500.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/2/17 8:20 p.m.

Do it. Do it. You know you want it. Do it. Don't listen to anyone. Do it. Do it.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/2/17 8:24 p.m.

I agree, that sounds like too much money for that car. I think the only way someone could justify that price to me and make me believe it was in terms of 'part-out value', but i doubt it's even worth that in parts.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/17 9:10 p.m.

In reply to pirate:

Where are you located & what's your budget? I'm sure we can find you a better example.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/2/17 9:26 p.m.

Run. Dont walk. Not even useful for a parts car.

PerniciousLies
PerniciousLies New Reader
5/2/17 9:32 p.m.

Agree with everyone else, room away. Not really worry fixing when it's that day gone.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/2/17 10:56 p.m.

There's a young guy on Youtube who goes by the name CorvetteBen: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCorvetteBen He's n Texas and has a side business parting out C3 Corvettes, as well as fixing up basket case cars so they run and drive (although they may not be perfect cosmetically) and reselling them. He isn't necessarily a master mechanic but he gets results, and his videos are pretty good to watch. He's done a number of other old car rehabs, mostly of 1950s American cars, for what appears to be Challenge size budgets.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aaSjC2ipKugKwHmJmlorukHtJ3AUsMNBINtmZEgKwhM39M0BhOejNUiCq2Z6rJ0e