Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
7/19/21 1:05 a.m.

2022 volkswagen golf r

The Mk8 coming to the US later this year as a 2022 model.  It has a torque vectoring rear differential.  315hp and 310tq although with a 6 speed manual it's limited to 290 tq.  I've called my local dealer to place an order as soon as they're taking them.  Something about this car just seems to really tick all the boxes and I think this will be the swan song for the Golf R before they put all their effort into electric cars.  The torque vectoring diff and 6 speed with adequate power in a nice interior and timeless design should age well.  I wish Honda was making a budget NSX or a Civic Type R with SH-AWD.  But, I'm not into the aesthetics of the CTR.  I like the Golf R.  I almost bought a Golf Alltrack last year but decided it just wasn't enough power.  The Golf R is quick.  I've never bought a new car but I think I'm going to reward a manufacturer with my dollars for bringing us a fun car with the correct transmission while I still can.  Thoughts?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/21 5:39 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

I'm always a bit nervous about the first year of a new generation, but the previous Golf R seemed like a pretty solid car. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/19/21 6:44 a.m.

I have an alltrack,yes not as sporty but the extra hauling space is damn handy for us.

An alltrack with even a GTI is20 turbo and a tune is pretty quick,even more so with an is38 turbo.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/19/21 6:44 a.m.

I'm really happy to hear it has genuine torque vectoring and not just a crappy faux differential braking system.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/21 6:57 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm always a bit nervous about the first year of a new generation, but the previous Golf R seemed like a pretty solid car. 

Come on.  It's a VW.  They're known for being dead nuts reliable.  :P

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/19/21 7:40 a.m.

They seem cool and get respect for making it, but my Mk7 GTI did all the bad VW stuff after 70k miles so I would not expect these to be a whole lot different, given they are even more tightly wound.

The one thing I mainly dislike about the Mk8 is the interior, a little too plasticky, and apparently a lot of functions are buried in touchscreen menus (thanks, Tesla).

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/19/21 8:49 a.m.

I'm kinda "meh" on the exterior looks and definitely don't like what they've done to the interior.  Many of the controls that are hard button/knobs on my Mk7.5 are haptic on the Mk8 and that's not an improvement...

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
7/19/21 10:10 a.m.

Tests (lots for the current model online) always seem to beg the question of why one would get this instead of a GTI, given the considerable extra cost.  That said, if you live in a place where the all-wheel-drive is really beneficial, that's cool.  Dynamically speaking, the benefits of extra weight and cost always seem to point to GTI. 

I obsessed over the second version of the R32 (2008), then test drove one after buying a new MKV GTI, and I really couldn't find the reason for the R32 anymore . . .

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/19/21 1:03 p.m.

Wanting to keep up with Aaron's Golf R at ACCO, Trevor?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
7/19/21 6:57 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Fortunately it has a full year of production in Europe first.  I would probably sell it right before the warranty expires anyway. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
7/19/21 7:00 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

That's because they always had the lame Haldex AWD system so it would understeer just like the GTI given the same control inputs.  New torque vectoring  diff changes all that and allows power over steer. Additionally this would be my winter rally car and I live in an area that has winter. 

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/19/21 7:08 p.m.

Interior with the haptic/touchscreen controls and mandatory sunroof on Mk8 are both a step back compared to Mk7/7.5 in my opinion 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/19/21 8:49 p.m.
rustomatic said:

I obsessed over the second version of the R32 (2008), then test drove one after buying a new MKV GTI, and I really couldn't find the reason for the R32 anymore . . .

The sound of that VR6? ...

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
7/19/21 10:58 p.m.
newold_m (Forum Supporter) said:

Interior with the haptic/touchscreen controls and mandatory sunroof on Mk8 are both a step back compared to Mk7/7.5 in my opinion 

Haptic touch controls instead of buttons is a step back but they work fine in my Cadillac and it's easy to clean.  Sunroof is definitely a step forward for me.  Unfortunately you can't opt out if you don't want it. I think they are saving cost overall by supplying it to the USA with only one option, manual or automatic transmission.  Otherwise, fully loaded is all you get. Not sure what other hot hatch is still available with a manual to compare it to. Audi RS3 doesn't come as a hatchback or a manual.  The AMG 45 is automatic only.  Civic Type R is front wheel drive only and I don't want that. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/20/21 8:32 a.m.

VW has had serious issues with the sunroofs in the Mk7/7.5's with leaking and them breaking.  I was really ticked off about not having one in my '19 R and now I'm quite happy to have been able to skip all the problems.

calteg
calteg Dork
7/20/21 8:54 a.m.

If Honda would make an understated GTI, it would be my first new car purchase ever. Instead they keep churning out underpowered anime cars

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
7/21/21 8:57 p.m.
calteg said:

If Honda would make an understated GTI, it would be my first new car purchase ever. Instead they keep churning out underpowered anime cars

I thought the Civic Si 2dr looked pretty good.  I wish they had a manual trans hatch back with their super handling AWD.  Preferably from Acura.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
esxq1HN9OGrPkn8AQOBXsYEkzbqx6EZNrWELUZ2e8ZhVKZxighp4MSOQHG2F28NP