1 ... 11 12 13 14
Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/2/20 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you! The kit is pretty awful. I'm very pleased how it turned out. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/2/20 7:21 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

I'm down for straight out of the box for sure. I'm in! 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/2/20 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

My license plates are not decals. I print them on glossy photo paper, cut them out and glue them on. Plates themselves are put on the flat bed scanner, scanned pretty coarsely, and reduced to what ever scale I need with Corel Photo Paint. I scan every license plate I get my hands on, and print them in batches.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/20 7:48 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I don't have photo paper either. I had good luck sizing them in Word and printing them. I tried to make a set for a stock car I wanted to do and threw in the plates and some bumper stickers but they'll have to wait for paper. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/20 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Good looking Vette!  Nice job!

Scott

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/2/20 8:22 p.m.

What is this "box stock" you speak of? cheeky Just kidding, I'm fine with that. Just have to decide which kit I want to do box stock, because the Cougar is going to have custom wheels at the very least...

Anyway, my build went downhill fast after the paint mishap. I almost gave up. But like those TV reality shows, if we don't make this deadline, we're gonna lose the shop! wink So, in that spirit, I decided to use "TV magic" to make it look like my car is done, because the SEMA showgoers will be none the wiser.

The paint is kinda rough and I'm hiding the worst parts in the shadows. Some of the trim isn't painted yet. I didn't put any decals on the body even though this kit has some awesome autocross number decals that I like. The last few assemblies are just sitting in place so I can remove them and do things properly later. And the taillights are molded in clear, so I left them clear to be "cool" and "hip" and the fact that I have no transparent red paint is completely coincidental. laugh

I did leave the wheels chrome on purpose, I saw a car online with chromed factory wheels and it looked awesome. Just some black wash to fill in the holes and make them look like...holes...instead of molded-in divot thingies.

So, without further ado, here is the Gross Monkey Garage SEMA Special! Bask in its resplendent Splenda-like splendor.

And here's the cool SCCA decals I will put on someday after I stop screwing with the paint.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
5/2/20 8:47 p.m.

Well, I ran out of time.  Things were going great until my clearcoat meltdown.

Was still tons of fun - will complete it when the parts have soaked long enough to strip.  I'm really happy with the color combo and the detail in the engine bay.

The Revell Banshee is a very nice kit, other than the nonsense with the dashboard and instrument panel and the fitment of the interior tub.

I'm ready for the next one!  Box stock sounds great to me - it's really the only way to get it done in 2 weeks.

Love the color combo on the silver Vette, and a yellow El Camino looks way batter than it should.

noddaz
5/2/20 8:56 p.m.

And here it is.  I paint this one no more.  For you viewing pleasure, the Revell Snap-Tite 1:32 1955 Chevy sedan set up to race in CAM!  (Do they allow Aero in CAM?)

And there it is.  I really needed to add a race number and class designation, but the repaints were brutal.  I also do not think it is totally dry from the late Friday night Earl Sheib's paint job.

Scott

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/2/20 9:31 p.m.

I'm out of glue. It's not going to be done until after tomorrow's supply run. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/2/20 9:32 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ddavidv :

The Mobius Ford pickups are nice.  

So I've heard. I've watched a few YT builds and they are impressive kits. I have a '65 F100 kit waiting for me at my hobby shop...which suffered a fire and has been closed since before Christmas. Any Mobius kit is on the short list of next purchases. I also need a Revell Bronco. 

I build most everything box stock. The '73 Mustang got an air cleaner from a '69 Charger kit and would have a different steering wheel if I could have found one. Other than some parts swapping I don't stray much from what is in the box. I wired engines once or twice and hated it so don't bother anymore. Some of the guys who watch my kit review videos give me grief for that but whatev. 

An idea for a future build challenge would be similar to one a friend and I came up with when we were teens:  we all buy the same kit and build it however we want. It helps if it's one that is open to interpretation like a '32 Ford roadster. I think it would be interesting to see the varied ideas in the final product but we'd all need time to decide on and acquire 'the kit'. Something to think about.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/2/20 9:50 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

That 55 is really great. I build a lot of 1/32 for slot track spectator cars. There are a few really good kits, but almost no one does anything creative like yours. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/2/20 9:57 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

My club has done a few same kit nights. It's fun to see how many different directions people go off in.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/20 10:11 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I have a personal horde of 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe models that should be enough to supply everyone...

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
5/2/20 10:45 p.m.

Well I'm done enough on this one. Happy with pylon orange but the screw together construction for some parts turned kind of difficult but it's happy to be done and on the shelf with the brat!

5/2/20 11:10 p.m.

I'm going to have to stick with my wee little slot car. 1/87 scale resin 1970 AMC Rebel Machine.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/20 1:50 a.m.

Well, it's way past midnight so here it is minus the decals. 

Fairly happy how it came out.  I need a fine black paint pen, the window frames came out crappy and the paint is still soft so it is picking up stuff. 

My son did not get his done, Minecraft and his friends got in the way so hopefully I can get him to finish it for the next one.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/3/20 10:22 a.m.

Results list and comment. I am a little dissapointed that we only had 15 participants this round., meaning 3 "trophys". I have done the number generator thing and pulled Claff first, ddave 2nd and Javelin 3rd. The kits on offer are a Monogram 1/43 Cobra, which, while tiny, builds easily and is beautiful, a Revell Austin Healey, the nostalgia re-box, not an easy build, but a great kit, a Tamiya Ferrari Testa Rossa, and a AMT Miller- Penske Indy car, the 1988 championship winner. Claff gets first pick.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/20 11:21 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks for heading this one up, it has been nice to get back into modeling.   On to the next one. 

Claff
Claff Reader
5/3/20 11:30 a.m.

I will take the big Healey kit since my dad owned a bunch of them in the day and he built a model of one a thousand years ago (which I destroyed trying to 'customize' it in my teens). I appreciate this very much. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement.

5/3/20 11:35 a.m.

Final entrant photos:

BenB's Mazda 767B:

kazoospec's N-Scale Jeep:

Tony Sestito's Ford F-150 Nite:

TurnerX19's Lotus 7:

Claff's 1968 Chevrolet El Camino SS396:

ddavidv's 1973 Mustang Trans-Am:

Adam5251's BMW 320i:

Gunchsta's 1953 Corvette:

slowbird's Gross Monkey Garage Mustang SVO SEMA Special:

Benswen's Pontiac Banshee:

noddaz's 1955 Chevrolet CAM racer:

Kanek's VW GTI:

Javelin's AMC Rebel Machine slot car:

Aaron_King's Porsche 935:

Wally's FIAT 500:

vwcorvette's Corvette door:

RealMiniNoMore's Freightliner SD/DD:

Yelo's sim racing rig:

Tyler King's 1965 Ford Mustang:

carczar_84's Subaru Impreza WRC:

BenB's NB Miata:

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/3/20 11:41 a.m.

Claff is taking the Healey kit. ddave pick from the remainder please.

5/3/20 11:44 a.m.

15 complete and 6+ in progress is still pretty good! And let's be honest here, we angered the paint gods this time around for some reason... (cue sad montage music):

noddaz:

Tony Sestitio:

ddavidv:

slowbird:

Claff:

Javelin:

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/3/20 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Paint gods indeed. Do you know what caused your failure? I understand Claff's, was yours the same?

noddaz
5/3/20 12:10 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thank you!

Scott

5/3/20 12:15 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I think there was a reaction between the black paint I used for the stripes and the gold. It only crazed on the top where the black was, on the sides where it was just primer the gold laid on great.

1 ... 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i3bzxCpstNnULii2Riyeu4s1SJlAnVuVjj1G1luulFYlpntOInlyDa6cmFvYESYW