1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/20 10:55 a.m.

Here is our progress so far:

My son Tyler's 65 Mustang fastback

And my 935

Anyone have an idea of how to replicate roll bar padding?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/20 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Find some thin foam and cut it or even a sponge of the cells are closed enough.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/20 10:58 a.m.

I had some thick heat shrink insulation that worked well as rollbar padding. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/22/20 2:57 p.m.

Kleenex, wetted and wrapped around it. I've used it for all sorts of things from convertible top boots to...I don't know what.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/22/20 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

I have a number of builds I started 30 to 40 years ago, and every once in a while I drag one out and finish it. I put aside a Ferrari Daytona Spyder that I started in 1989 and brought it out 2 months ago. It is now nearly done, but put aside once more for these quick builds.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/22/20 3:52 p.m.
Claff said:

Every time I see a semi truck build I chuckle a little to myself. Back when I was a teenager I'd get a kit and slam the thing together in three days. Dad wanted to show me how to take your time and properly build a model, and got a GMC semi tractor to use as an example. Over the course of  a month or so he got most of the chassis and engine painted and built, but never touched the body or interior. For years and years I'd find the box on his dresser and check to see that yup, still no progress was being made. I bet it's still hiding in a closet somewhere, still half built. I need to find that and ask him if by "slow build" he really meant 35 years.

My dad started a B-52, maybe before I was even born. I just remember it sitting on top of the box, in the basement, when I was a little kid. I never saw him work on it. We moved when I was 10, and the BUFF came with us. My parents just sold that house, and moved out a few weeks ago. I'm 52, now, and I threw that kit in the dumpster, during the move, as it was beyond saving (mice...). 

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/22/20 5:15 p.m.

Whelp I guess instead of "be the ball" in sports this little vw could be thinking in terms of "be the pylon" for Autocross. 

not sure I'm sold on this particular tone of orange but oh well. Maybe with some silver parts I can avoid it becoming a pumpkin-mobile

4/22/20 5:33 p.m.

I finally finished these crazy space Ork bikers I've been working on for months. Now maybe I can do a proper model car again.

4/22/20 5:34 p.m.

In reply to Kanek :

That color looks rad to me!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
4/22/20 5:37 p.m.

This thread had me going through kits on eBay while at work. I did happen across one kit I never thought I'd find, but I may need to dig out all the old unbuilt kits I have at home and maybe play along on weekends.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/22/20 6:19 p.m.

In reply to Kanek :

It looks like if the Bondurant school had been using VWs instead of Fords in the 90s. laugh

(Dang, I should build a Bondurant-orange Mustang someday.)

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/22/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Kanek :

Love that shade of orange!

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/22/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

I'll let you know when somebody find out what I'm building...

4/22/20 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Yelo :

Sim rig?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/22/20 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Kanek :

Great color, but no black trim anywhere! Tan or redish brown interior.

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/22/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Yeah that's the same pylon orange! 

the numbers and stickers do break it up a bit, will have to see if I can borrow any decals from the Porsche kit. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/22/20 9:53 p.m.

I'm hoping to finish the Delica. 

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/22/20 10:21 p.m.

We're supposed to post progress pictures, right? 

Cummins NHC-250:

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/22/20 11:45 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) :

That's a beefy engine!

Needs swapped into a Miata cheeky

Claff
Claff Reader
4/23/20 12:19 a.m.

Day one in the books, not much progress made. On the plus side, I found my El Camino's spirit animal, a restored yellow one found on Hemmings with lots of pictures

Ideally, I'd like to build mine like this (yellow/black). Only complication is that my kit has a vinyl top and I don't think I'm good enough to sand that away and have the finished product look like it wasn't there in the first place.

The body of my car is good but not great. The plastic is thin in places with signs of the plastic not flowing well in the mold. It has a pretty bad dent in the drivers side B pillar

There's one on the other side, but it's not as bad. I don't know if I can fill that while keeping the vinyl top texture. Regardless, I got the body in primer so I can start sanding it down and mulling over repair options when I get in that mood.

Turning my attention to more mundane stuff, I got my 30 year old paints out and started dabbing away at various bits. The engine is naturally Chevrolet orange; most of the stuff underneath is going to be either gloss black or flat black. I'm the world's slowest painter because I don't want to use brushes at the moment - I have no paint thinner/reducer so paintbrushes would only be single-use until I do get some. So I'm dabbing on paint with a dull pencil point and the frame is taking forever. I had a hard deadline of midnight so I stopped partway through. Maybe tomorrow I can find thinner and that'll let me use brushes, speeding things up significantly.

I might venture out tomorrow to see if I can find glue and paint so I'm not resorting to using supplies that are older than some people using this forum.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/23/20 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

Sanding the texture off of the roof with some 400 grit paper in water is not too difficult or time consuming, and gives you the opportunity to fix the sink marks on the pillars. Put some masking tape carefully on the window trims before sanding. Stop sanding as soon as all of the primer disappears except in the sinks. Fill them, re-prime, and repeat the sanding until the primer disappears everywhere.The sanding is the secret to the super finishes I get.

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/23/20 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

And we have a winner!

kit is from Zoom On and pretty well detailed but sadly, no screens what so ever...

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/23/20 8:32 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

seat is part of the Zoom On sim rig, heres a link to it:

https://www.zoomonmodel.com/product-page/z019

you might be able to get them separately but I didn't check...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/23/20 9:37 a.m.

Hey guys, 

Please don't beat me up on this question. I don't understand what exactly they're telling me to do on this step. Also I haven't painted the body yet, so should I do that first? 

4/23/20 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

They are telling you to paint the shaded area of the window part black (or whatever color 57 is) before installing. You will want to paint the body first. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bM48LecnAUDXr3PxlxS7qoIgTGJMIeUJhgfmTRiBXp5MOCBAU8Jv0a1caaxHlPfz