1 2 3 4 ... 30
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/23/09 10:30 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: I was also real big into the "Monster" models: Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc.. Anybody else old enough to remember those?

my fathers first model he built on his own was Dracula, when he was 8. He put the hand on the wrong arms.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/09 10:35 a.m.

Model #4:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/1026/

I have 17 completed here at he house and pics of another 2-3 that I built for other people.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/09 10:38 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
NYG95GA wrote: I was also real big into the "Monster" models: Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc.. Anybody else old enough to remember those?
my fathers first model he built on his own was Dracula, when he was 8. He put the hand on the wrong arms.

Tom Lowe of Playing Mantis / Johnny Lightning is re-releasing all of those old monster kits. They're made by Round 2 or something like that, but you can buy them in hobby stores or online.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/09 10:58 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/1027/

Model #5. Last one for now. If anybody wants to see more I'll gladly post em up. The Reader's Rides format is really nice for stuff like this where 2-3 pictures tells the whole story.

Models Up: 77 Datsun 280Z Rally Car 73 Chevy Monte Carlo Tokyo Drift car 55 Chevy 210 Gasser 69 Plymouth Road Runner HEMI 66 Rambler American junker

Models I can put up if you want: 50 Ford Convertible Custom 56 Ford Thunderbird 2.3T swap 62 Pontiac Catalina 421SD 69 Chevy Camaro Baldwin-Motion 74 AMC Javelin AMX 78 Chevy Corvette SE LS1 swap 79 Mazda RX-7 IMSA 80 Ford Mustang Cobra Turbo 85 Ford Thunderbird Pro Street 86 Lincoln Mark VII Pro Street 96 Chevy Camaro SS Twin-Turbo 06 Pontiac GTO

Maybes (I built them for other people, will have to search for pictures): 1964 Pontiac GTO 1978 Pontiac Trans Am "Bandit" 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

Work In Progress (sitting on my model desk now): 1962 Ford Thunderbird custom

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
4/23/09 11:14 a.m.

I too grew up building kits in the 60's. Yes I could build a car when I was in High School, but learned most of it from kits and Hot Rod, Super Stock, and other Mags. Then took up Slot Car racing when we used model bodies. Then we got lexan bodies. Anyone coming over to the May 9 that has any cars?? Also is there not a Slot Car track over there??? I now work with the Garlits Museum and build cars of the Inductees to the International Drag racing Hall of Fame. I put on a display of memorabilia the night of the induction ceremonies. I built a Dale Armstrong Chevy II funny car that he had never seen anyone do. The inside body ids done out of Aluminum foil to make it look right.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/09 11:15 a.m.
bigwrench wrote: I too grew up building kits in the 60's. Yes I could build a car when I was in High School, but learned most of it from kits and Hot Rod, Super Stock, and other Mags. Then took up Slot Car racing when we used model bodies. Then we got lexan bodies. Anyone coming over to the May 9 that has any cars?? Also is there not a Slot Car track over there??? I now work with the Garlits Museum and build cars of the Inductees to the International Drag racing Hall of Fame. I put on a display of memorabilia the night of the induction ceremonies. I built a Dale Armstrong Chevy II funny car that he had never seen anyone do. The inside body ids done out of Aluminum foil to make it look right.

Wow! I'd love to see some pics of your models and the real cars you build!

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
4/23/09 11:17 a.m.

If we could do a area for these I think it would be cool. Building the kit of a car you would give your right you know what to drive is Grassroots!!!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/09 11:26 a.m.

I just threw 5 of them up in the Reader's Rides area. Just do the same thing.

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
4/23/09 2:45 p.m.

A pic of the Nova funny car is on readers rides.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/23/09 4:39 p.m.

Thanks P for all the pictures, I'll have to post some up. I'm glad so many of you are into them. I appreciate all your comments. It's cool to hear your stories. I jsut think it's cool because the cars I look and am interested is influenced by you guys and the clubs I go to and the members, that's why i'm 18 and love classic sports cars, mainly European and love the rally cars, F1, IMSA, etc.

foxtrapper wrote: OK, so tell me about this May show in Maryland. Might be a doubly perfect thing to visit, having an 8 year old son.

Cool! I'll be in my tan Susquehanna Valley Vintage Hillclimb hat and have a Model Cars mag nametag.It'd be cool to see you there. http://www.mamasboyz.org/MidNNL.html

That Gulf #5 is BEAUTIFUL. My favorite color, scheme, and I love the car, it is one of my favorites.

Oh P71- you say about you building wacky racers? you probably won't fully understand the reason why he built it or why I love it so much but here it is Him and I are good buddy's and these builds are my FAVORITES. I want a real series wit these, he said about me being the driver for the '31 haha I was honored! http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18723&st=0&p=163496&#entry163496 my background is lower in the post the one with his '53 he built http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18073&st=0&p=157298&#entry157298

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/23/09 4:56 p.m.

While I LOVE seeing all of these models, I dunno if Readers Rides should get filled w/ model cars.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/09 4:57 p.m.

Sweet 31! That forum looks a lot nicer then the old SAE one as well. Looks like I have another forum to read every day.

Post up some pics, I don't really want to throw the rest of my collection on there until some others pop up

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/09 5:37 p.m.

Maybe Tim could add a "Model" brand. Then we could keep the little cars separate from the big cars.

NickF40
4/23/09 5:49 p.m.

I agree on the Model brand.

I figured you would love that 31. Yeah Model Cars is just better than SAE, the thread is so laid back and when you start posting, you'll love it. I don't know if you've seen but I go by the same name on there, see how many posts I have! It truly is a great place. When you join, just say I told you and referrenced you about it and you'll get a good welcome. It's a gret forum, we have some of the top builders in the States and Germany, Austria, Puerto Rico, etc. Some of local club members from the club i go to are there and just amazing stuff, I love it!

NickF40
4/23/09 6:05 p.m.

oh heres the latest one I did

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
4/23/09 6:28 p.m.

What is the address for the site your talking about??

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/23/09 6:33 p.m.

Last night i spoted a japaness GTI model kit, very tempting.

on a side note, my gloss black spray paint is coming out very unevenly, splotchy even. But my flat black is coming out perfectly smooth. Bad can of gloss? Shake it more? Ideas?

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
4/23/09 6:35 p.m.

I'm am on my way to the basement to see what kits I have to build because of this thread.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/09 6:56 p.m.

Keith,

A "Model" brand would rock! (Hence why I stuck "MODEL" in the titles of all of mine). Baxter? Can you make it happen buddy? We'll build some GRM Project Cars as models!

NickF40, Killer build! I love the uncommon stuff like that!

bigwrench, www.modelcarsmag.com/forums

neon4981, I dunno man, I've been getting that too with Gloss Black. I think the new chemicals might be messing with it or something. I've screwed up 3 models already using 3 different brands of paint. (BTW, Westley's Bleche-Wite or Castrol Super Clean is great for stripping paint off of model car bodies). Try soaking the paint can in a pot of really hot water right before you spray, make sure the body is warm (room temp or better) but not in direct sunlight.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/23/09 6:58 p.m.

time to fork out for an air brushshrugs

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
4/23/09 7:41 p.m.

i was going to show mine but i cant find the file right now...errrrr

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/23/09 7:48 p.m.

I think model of the month would be cool as long as it doesn't get picked apart. But I don't see that happening here.

I used to build aircraft and armor, but once you start worrying if the tire tread pattern is correct to go with your July 44 P-51 paint scheme, the fun is dead. The rivet police suck.

jde
jde Reader
4/24/09 8:06 a.m.

That '31 looks like the results of a drunken night of fun between a South American touring car and a Daytona Prototype.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
4/24/09 8:51 a.m.

i have a bunch of model cars as well, unfortunately, they look like model cars...

i submit we have a model car exhibition/contest at the $2009 challenge, with extra point for having a model of your real challenge car!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/09 9:44 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: time to fork out for an air brush*shrugs*

I picked up a pair of blemished model 200s http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Garage_Sale.asp and haven't touched another spray can. Just to be able to use the House of Color lacquers was worth it. Until I could spring for a compressor I was running it off a portable air tank from Walmart.

1 2 3 4 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kJS5dqIwaZhtGxMTE60geAXIdazeVa2LluNP51qdzlV5IcxRuiZYPMZfk5LUSszm