1 2 3
chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/11/20 12:50 p.m.
pete240z said:

My daughter and I are starting a mini cooper this weekend. We did all the general painting last summer.

Hobby Lobby has an aisle of cars but asksca small Fortune for them.

Ugh, with all this 'spare time' (more so for my son than me - I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home) I've got him started on model kits. We just finished a Skyline and I had him doing most of the painting which I think was good for his focus (8 y/o, ASD and ADHD) but I'm REALLY wanting to do a classic Mini Cooper. Anybody have any good links where I can find one?

PFA 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/11/20 2:04 p.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

The kit you want is any of the Tamiya brand Mini Coopers they exist as a stock Morris Cooper S (pretty rare kit) and a Monte Carlo Rally version. All good hobby shops carry them. Online check Tower Hobby and also on eBay. They are pricey for plastic, but they build really well

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/11/20 2:14 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I've found a few but the prices made me a little nauseous... I was honestly hoping I'd find send a little more reasonably priced. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/11/20 2:22 p.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

Model car pricing is all over the map. Vintage ones especially, but even new ones, they can vary a lot. I think because they're not as popular as they once were, the prices have gone up to keep things afloat for the various companies that have taken over the AMT and Revell brand names, etc. I try to spend less than $30 for a model kit but it's getting tougher.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/11/20 5:40 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I know what you mean. I just picked up 

Tamiya 300061041 - 1:48 WWII The German Focke Wulf, Fw190 D-9

(Uh, sorry about the formatting - mobile device)

for just under $30 on Amazon. This one will be for him as well but after that I'm doing a 1953 F100 (also on Amazon) in screaming yellow because I miss my Cobra. laugh

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
4/11/20 9:43 p.m.

I used to build models of all kinds as a kid. Recently I've been building a Cold War themed Tiki bar called The Beyond. Been very interested and watching U2 videos lately. No better Cold War aircraft then the U2. Plans are to retrofit a micro camera inside and hang the model in the tiki bar and create a functioning model U2 spy plane!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/11/20 9:53 p.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

You could try bidding on this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-61-MORRIS-MINI-COOPER-TAMIYA-1-24-SCALE-SKILL-2-VINTAGE-PLASTIC-MODEL-KIT/383498389284?hash=item594a490724:g:0nQAAOSwwDdekQN2

Although knowing ebay, there's a good chance some other people will get into a back-and-forth battle for it and drive the price way up.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/11/20 10:14 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Open box that one should go cheap. The pictures do not show every part. This is the early version of the kit that came with Cosmic wheels , and is the version I built in the photo below, almost 40 years ago. Could be a bargain, but suppose the roof or wheels are missing?  Back shelf speakers in my model were not in the kit.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/12/20 5:49 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I'll watch that one and compare it to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362930592234

If the price is reasonable towards the end I'll snag it. yes

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/12/20 6:09 a.m.

I really wish they would reissue the ramp truck/wedge from the 70's. I can't seem to spend the asking price for the originals or the knockoffs.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/12/20 7:14 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Yeah, those seem a bit pricey...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/12/20 7:36 a.m.
chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/12/20 11:02 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Very cool!

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
4/12/20 11:10 a.m.

In reply to westsidetalon 

Cool idea! Any pics of the tiki bar?

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
4/12/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

Just started in January but this is my private speak easy located in the back of my building. Complete tiki exotica with cave walls, crystals ,star ceiling, mid century antiques. Land of the Lost meets James Bond.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/14/20 8:06 p.m.
914Driver said:

I've only seen the aircraft, but understand Metal Earth makes cars, critters, all kinds of stuff.

These were ~$8 each.  Bring small tools and patience.

I was given a Model T kit of theirs as a gift a while back.  I took 10 minutes everyday at work to play with it and it took much longer than expected to put together.  Small needle nose pliers would have made that job much easier.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/15/20 6:48 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to slowbird :

Open box that one should go cheap. The pictures do not show every part. This is the early version of the kit that came with Cosmic wheels , and is the version I built in the photo below, almost 40 years ago. Could be a bargain, but suppose the roof or wheels are missing?  Back shelf speakers in my model were not in the kit.

I think that is the version I have sitting on a shelf. I could be persuaded to part with it (mint, box open, unbuilt).

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
4/15/20 12:57 p.m.
ST_ZX2 said:
BoxheadTim wrote: Great, I've just spent the last 15 minutes browsing the car kits on ehobbies and found at least four or five that I'd like to put together. I used to build kits quite extensively as a kid but somehow stopped when I started fiddling with real cars instead. Anybody got a good source for car model kits?

http://modelempireusa.com/catalogpdf.htm

FYI Model Empire is great- and local to me. Their website isn't the best, but the owner is a cool older guy and knowlegable.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/15/20 5:21 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Interested! Message you?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/16/20 7:01 a.m.
chknhwk said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Interested! Message you?

Or email. dvandtl at yahoo dat com