1 2
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/18 8:28 a.m.

The P71 steering wheel has a thick squishy rubbery coating, and the slick outer surface has mostly worn off, exposing the porous foam underneath. It’s thick & would be uncomfortably large with an aftermarket cover stitched on. Is there anyway to restore the original surface?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/30/18 8:38 a.m.

Dissolve the foam with MEK (or something) and start over by building it up and then put a leather wrap over that. Just spitballing it here.

therieldeal
therieldeal New Reader
11/30/18 8:43 a.m.

Buy a nice used one on eBay or elsewhere? I heard Ford made quite a few of those :P

Pete Gossett
11/30/18 8:44 a.m.

In reply to therieldeal :

They’re not that cheap though, $150-$200 seems to be the going rate. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
11/30/18 8:47 a.m.

I know a lot of upholstery shops rework them from the steel up, but I don't know what the process looks like.

Pete Gossett
11/30/18 8:52 a.m.
RossD said:

Dissolve the foam with MEK (or something) and start over by building it up and then put a leather wrap over that. Just spitballing it here.

The wheel on the car has a chunk missing, exposing the steel rim. Honestly, it’s about the thickness of a vintage steering wheel, so stripping down to bare steel & lacing a cover onto it would work - except it would be nowhere as thick as stock, which would make the spokes/controls in an awkward position. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/30/18 8:52 a.m.

car-part.com shows $50 for a low mile replacement.  

I would replace rather than repair.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/30/18 8:55 a.m.

Replacement is the answer but a very thin leather rewrap can make a world of difference it just cost 40-60$ depending on teh wheel and the supplier.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/30/18 9:06 a.m.

Send it to my friend Jin from Sweidit..........and end up with a work of art. 

Pete Gossett
11/30/18 9:08 a.m.
John Welsh said:

car-part.com shows $50 for a low mile replacement.  

I would replace rather than repair.  

Does it have cruise? The ones I’ve seen with cruise are much higher than that. 

Pete Gossett
11/30/18 9:18 a.m.

Actually, I just had an idea - what about plastidip? It should be pliable enough to not crack, and I think it would adhere to, and cover over, the porous core. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/30/18 9:23 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Actually, I just had an idea - what about plastidip? It should be pliable enough to not crack, and I think it would adhere to, and cover over, the porous core. 

I think the constant touching and oil from your hands will quickly start peeling it away, and you'll end up with even more of a mess than before.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/30/18 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

IS your airbag shape the same?  Rebolt your airbag into these wheels.  I suspect the price of $50 does not include the airbag.  Also at $50 might not include cruise switches. Call to confirm. 

2004 Gran Marq with 85k miles from here

Allgeier Auto Parts USA-OH(Cincinnati) Request_Quote 800-745-3378

Asking $50 (probably more to ship.

Gray $50

Fleetwood Motors Company VARA USA-VA(King-William) Request_Quote 1-800-800-6826

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/30/18 9:25 a.m.

Handlebar tape from a bicycle shop.

Pete Gossett
11/30/18 9:31 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Nice, thanks!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/30/18 9:46 a.m.

Pete,

At 3:00-ish today I will be picking up a part from a full service JY in Cleveland, OH.  A part that I sourced via ca-part.com

What year is your P71?  Show me what your current airbag shape looks like.  I'll see what I can find out from this yard.  

What color wheel would you like?  

A wheel from up north means no Sun/Heat damage like you get in MS.  

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/30/18 10:02 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I don't have inta-book-itter, how would one reach this friend.  I absolutely hate the air bag wheel in my car and already picked up a non bag wheel with cruise buttons but it needs a wrap.

Pete Gossett
11/30/18 10:07 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks John!!!

It’s a 2006. Here’s a pic of the airbag & wheel. Black or gray would work, but I’ll pass on tan. I’m not aware of any other colors, but here’s my cell: 765-714-

Number saved and edited via Mod powers

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/30/18 10:27 a.m.

Yeah, I guessed at 2004.  Seems that 2006 has different speed control switches.  

Car-part has little to nothing listed for 2006.  I emailed back to the JY I am working with your picture and a request for availability/price.  

Pete Gossett
11/30/18 10:33 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks John!!!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/30/18 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

JY wrote back... 

DON’T HAVE THE WHEEL I AM SORRY TO SAY  :/

Pete Gossett
11/30/18 2:28 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Bummer. Thanks for checking though!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/30/18 2:49 p.m.

It took me 6 months to find a decent SLT Laramie wheel in a yard for my 96 Dodge ram.  Seems every one had turned to goo.  Once I found one, i gladly paid the $20 they were asking.  

Just keep looking, a low mile one will turn up eventually.  

Pete Gossett
12/2/18 5:37 p.m.

I picked up a can of Plastidip and went to work on the steering wheel this afternoon, since I really don’t have anything to lose. 

I sanded down the entire rim until there was none of the original “skin” remaining, then roughed up both spokes completely.

Before sanding: 

After sanding:

I used the whole can & sprayed it on thick & wet. I’m letting it cure overnight & will see how well it seemed to adhere tomorrow. Though it’ll be next weekend at the soonest before I can install it. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/18 6:22 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Handlebar tape from a bicycle shop.

Golf club tape seems to last longer.  Handlebar tape just ain't what it used to be.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xhBEkA2uWQt5elamZdkRGramJ3Rne2ubWgYcVv48vwNJmmPhF6k1ZecA1c1Mlgvn