jacojone
jacojone
9/9/09 7:56 p.m.

yo,

First post here. I bought a (cheap) 95 miata a couple of weeks ago after my last car was stolen and totaled. I have got various gremlins worked out and the car is now in good DD condition. Needs new shocks (badly), bump stops, and tires to get it handling as it should. KYB AGX, FCM 58mm, and a set of Falken Azenis fit my budget. But now a mid gen 944 has popped up in my area for the same price. Rebuilt head, new timing belt, injectors, water pump, and receipts for the same price as mods for miata.

What you guys say? Mod the miata, or go for the 944 (or go look at it at least)? Fear i could be wading into deadly waters with the prices for porsche parts and all...

cheers, j

M030
M030 Reader
9/9/09 7:58 p.m.

Just my .02, but I've owned both...

Keep/refurbish/modify the Miata.

944s are very cool (I have some rotting in my backyard to prove it) but, in my opinion, 944s nowhere near as much fun to drive or as easily modified as a Miata.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/9/09 8:06 p.m.

It depends on your plans. Probably stick with the Miata.

I have a '94 Miata as my track toy. I am actually planning on finding a used 944 Spec race car to go wheel-to-wheel. The 944 fits my needs and budget better for Spec racing. But if I just wanted a track toy, I would stick with my Miata. Having driven both, I prefer the handling of the Miata. I also like cruising around in the Miata.

I will suggest against the KYB AGX shocks. I have them, and would not get them again. They work fine, but they aren't as good as the competition. Personally, I would get Bilsteins. Otherwise, Tokico Illumina and Koni Sport are better shocks.

jacojone
jacojone New Reader
9/9/09 8:17 p.m.

Fair enough guys, only have to pay for insurance on one car too.

In reply to Salanis.

Thanks for the advice on the shocks. I have had a hard time deciding. Koni sports are what I want, but they are 100 more than the AGX. I really have a hard time convincing myself they are worth the extra money though...especially since buying them would seriously cut into my weekend/beer/rock climbing budget over the short term :D. Between the Koni Str.t and AGX really. Between those, what is your recommendation? I have been lead to believe the AGXs offer better performance for the dollar than the str.t. Never really heard a recommendation for the bilsteins, aside from the FCM revales. Why you recommend them?

excuse the meandering post. FWIW, most of my research has come for miata.net....can't say it is the most open minded place...or at least i get that feeling.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
9/9/09 8:29 p.m.

The STR.T's are essentially Koni Sports permanently set to full soft. Unless you're competing with the car you don't really need adjustability, you just need something properly valved for your springs, which the Konis are for stock springs. I'd get those over the AGX's in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm about to put a set on my Miata.

They're also cheaper than the AGXs.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
9/9/09 8:30 p.m.

I never changed the shocks on my Miatas, but on every other car where I have anted up for the Koni Sports, I have never, ever, for one moment regretted that extra expense.

jacojone
jacojone New Reader
9/9/09 8:54 p.m.

I move fast.

Just bought a set of Str.ts. I had a 100 dollar paypal credit I didnt know about and got them for 200 shipped. yea, i could have withdrawn the paypal credit, but I feel like it was 100 free dollars since I have no idea where the credit came from. :D

FCM bump stops tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

jacob

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/09 12:51 a.m.

I like 944s (and Miatas) but if it's a mid-year one it's most likely a 2.5l and I always found they feel as "underpowered" as a Miata, if not worse.

Good job on the suspension, one of the Miatas I owned had AGXs on and I wasn't massively impressed with those.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
9/10/09 12:59 a.m.
jacojone wrote: Fair enough guys, only have to pay for insurance on one car too. In reply to Salanis. Thanks for the advice on the shocks. I have had a hard time deciding. Koni sports are what I want, but they are 100 more than the AGX. I really have a hard time convincing myself they are worth the extra money though...especially since buying them would seriously cut into my weekend/beer/rock climbing budget over the short term :D. Between the Koni Str.t and AGX really. Between those, what is your recommendation? I have been lead to believe the AGXs offer better performance for the dollar than the str.t. Never really heard a recommendation for the bilsteins, aside from the FCM revales. Why you recommend them? excuse the meandering post. FWIW, most of my research has come for miata.net....can't say it is the most open minded place...or at least i get that feeling.

Don't think short term. Think long term. How long do shocks last and how often do you drive the car. $400 over the life of it, if its something you are going to be using every day for at least a couple years...Id say its worth it.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
9/10/09 5:08 a.m.

Stay with the Miata over the 944. You are already quibbling over the price of Miata parts, just wait till you add the P-word to your parts shopping, prices will get much higher.
For tune-ability and reliability, on a budget; the Miata is hard to beat.

Welcome to GRM. There is a lot of Miata support here! Also notice in the classifieds that MetalMan is usually parting out a few Miatas.

John
'90 Miata

awebb
awebb New Reader
9/10/09 8:01 a.m.

Miata but don't use KYB's!!!

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
9/10/09 8:18 a.m.

Speaking of Miata shocks, has anyone heard of GAB's by a company called Wings? All I can pull up on them is a Japanese website.
These are the 8 way adjustables that i have had on my Miata for years. I bought them back in '95 when i set up my car for Autocross. In the 14 years that they have been on the car they have only seen about 40k miles (much of that on Sundays.)
They have been good to me and I notice that they look like KYB's, are they related?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/10/09 8:24 a.m.

Konis even if you have to source them from eBay

Josh
Josh HalfDork
9/10/09 8:41 a.m.

I don't think GABs exist anymore, so that is probably some really old stock on that japanese website. I don't remember exactly what the relationship between the companies is, but when the AGX first came out I recall that someone put a set on a dyno vs. GAB and determined that they were the same thing.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
9/10/09 8:42 a.m.

Miatas don't have back seats or else I would have one. I need to move two children at the same time in the morning. I have a 944, I enjoy it, and th parts are not that bad on price...

Miata is nearly always the answer.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/10/09 8:53 a.m.

ding ding ding!

ANSWER IS: MIATA!!!

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/09 9:58 a.m.

Keep in mind a couple of things:

A 944 can get expensive to maintain, but they can be pretty fun on a road-course. Most people tend to prefer the feel of the 924 since it is a bit rougher, but the 944 has more power.

If you're thinking of track days, most won't allow a convertible without a proper roll bar

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/09 10:12 a.m.

Legend is that the AGX is the same as the GAB. Dunno if there's any truth to that or if someone just said "hey look, they both go to 8"!

My favorite mid-level shock for Miatas with performance springs is the Illumina. The Konis work well with stock springs.

Can't really comment on the 944, except to say they're cool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o1ufCCuMuOMONlRnz0ji12Q75FYXxOFkE9NP9dIpqpzZ6hmGIdEV74leF3jr7Frd