dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/12 2:05 p.m.

Being the sensible person I am and stumbling on a "good deal on ebay" I now own two K04 turbos from Mazda 2.3's The problem is that the stock wast gate on these are set at about 16 PSI of boost. I want to bring things down to around 7-10 PSI. Looking at things and being the cheep . .. er frugal person I am I was thinking that I could add a spring over the stock actuator arm that would preload the arm with 8 lbs of pressure and thus it would only require another 7lbs to open it. I could put an adjustable sleeve over the actuator rod so I could adjust the initial preload / pre compression of the spring. I know this is kind of a strange thing to be doing as most people are wanting to increase boost. But 16 PSI is way more than what I want. Also yes I could just go get a stand alone wast gate and put it in the system but this takes time and $$$$ where as my addition of a spring would probably not cost more than $10 and would save a boat load of fabrication.

First off what do you think? Would it work?

Second. I am not really up on spring tech. Are they linear over a set range of motion? In other words if I specified a range of motion that I wanted a continual amount of spring pressure is that an issue? It is just not something I have much experience with.

Ohya I then got thinking about things and 2.3 + 2.3 = 4.6 and this made me wonder just how hard it would be to make a twin turbo setup for a ford 4.6? Although this is not my current project in the back of my mind this seems to be a stupid cheep way to get a boat load of power out of a 4.6. And for the proverbial answer to everything LSX there is the 4.8l LR4. Add two KO4's and have something really interesting.

Anyway back on point any ideas re the wastegate modification I am thinking about. I should probably just test it with hardware store parts but I wanted the the collective brain trust here at GRM to cast there opinion on this one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DGIkuy47jHNPpWV9CR1P74CeMbofu6aF2OLG31XmkJUhTjKvE5DFdVzPe1i1qt2l