44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/11/08 1:23 p.m.

Anyone ever use Monroe's brake pads? Never new they made pads but i see them listed for my Cobalt SS. Got 60,000 on it and they jusrt started to squeak so it close to time for pads, allthough I've not looked at them yet....

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/13/08 6:19 a.m.

Heres the thing there ~$32 but theres a $20 mail in rebate on rock auto right now.

I just wonder if there any good for a A to B car? Ya its an SS but with the new job I'm traveling 26 miles of back roads not 48 of hell bent hiway.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/13/08 6:27 a.m.

i hope they are better than duralast golds.. which i now refer to the "I just browned my trousers cause its 4am and the friction material separated from the backing plate while going 75 mph on the betsy ross bridge off ramp.." brake pads.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/13/08 6:39 a.m.

I had a bad brake issue in the Yotarolla - there was virtually no modulation of the fronts at threshold before they locked. As this car sees 40K+ per year of bumper to bumper traffic, threshold braking is a major concern. As much as I love the Carbotechs on my Spec Miata, that wasn't the right solution for street use.

After trying several brands of pads I stumbled across a cermic Bendix line. They are wonderful - I can modulate them before locking a wheel, they are relatively dust free, they are easy on the rotors, and they wear like iron. I am getting easily 60K from a set of pads now. Try 'em, you might like 'em.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS New Reader
8/13/08 8:53 p.m.

I'll take the tip on the Bendix. Advance Auto has those. My sons 2000 Impala 9C1 has a warped rotor. I had experience with Duralast pads-about 10,000 miles on another car was only how long they lasted.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/14/08 12:01 a.m.

Axxis (I think Bendix owns them) Metal Masters. They're cheap, grippy, and low dust. The catch? Kinda squeaky. That's ok, though, I tell myself that real racecars squeak.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/08 1:16 a.m.

I like the Axxis Ultimates on my Miata. Nice and grippy with good feel. They are a bit dusty though and squeak a little bit but just like Osterkraut, I also tell myself racecar's brakes squeak.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/14/08 6:29 a.m.

Some raceacar brakes squeak, but not all. Example: I ran Hawk blacks and blues on the SM for a while and they were noisey all of the time. In the paddock they sounded like the car was grinding itself into the ground. The first lap or two they were just loud until they came up to temp. Then they were just noisey for the rest of the session/race. Noisey as is "can hear them over the other cars" noisey. For reference, I do not run any of the anti-rattle springs/shims/implements of destruction in either the street or race Miatas.

I switched to Carbotechs shortly thereafter and the damn things are quiet - VERY quiet. Recently I had to do some work on the brakes on the street Miata and decided to install what I thought was a leftover set of Porterfield R4s pads.

Apparently, they weren't the Porterfields I thought I had stashed away, they were the Hawks. In around town use they are bad enough to wake the dead. Driving through midtown Manhatten at 0615 the grinding was bad enough to get stares from pedestrians. So I switched pads to a Hawk street compound and now I can hear the radio again!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQFO3H1aO7bpJdT5k3dnNDiZVK0icXsqRusreKyIya0JrS7CGJwFybCflvHL0v4n