1 2
scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
1/20/18 11:21 a.m.

I have built tons of systems,  its how I got into cars. from 10 channel all active 10 speaker systems, to simple deck and 2.

what I recommend for almost anyone is the following

a head unit the has the features you need.  in in your case it does it fit and does it have an aux in. for me I love ipod controls  alpine and pioneer work well in most vintages.  used ipods can be had for 20 bucks on ebay.  it takes up way less space and you can leav it in your glove box.

+ preamp outputs.  at one

best speakers that you want to afford for the frort that will fit easily..  at least get coaxes.  this mihgt be 30 bucks  or it might be 3000  lets say 1000

small 4 channel amp. $100 i love sony and alpine on ebay for the bang for buck with quality.  almost any alpine form the 90s up that still work will continue to work.  same with sone.  make sure it has a cross over.  20, or 35 x4  is plenty to play LOUD,  not hear me coming down the street, but too lout to talk and loud enough that  you cannot hear yourself sing.

biggest diamater sub in teh smallest box oyu can fit in your car.  you can by rawd drivers and premade boxes on amazon or cruthcfield.

you said truck.  you can get a 12 in a .6 cuft truck box.  it will need less paower than an 8 or 10  to play the same volume

head unit rca cabels to amp (or 2 or you have 2 set out outputs then you can contol the sub form the head unit.

hight pass to eh fronts between 80 and 100 hz.  lowpas on teh sub bridget the channels into one so you use the amp in 3 channel mode. instead of 4.

if you NEED rear speakers (kids in the back)  use the head unit to power them.

now if you want to POUND.  make it 2 subs or 3 or 4  and use a bigger amp instead of half of a 4 channel.

if oyu want sweet sweet sounds.  buy seperates up front and spend ral money  5-600 for a pair.  buy a better amp (not more power)

if you want to go even sweeter.  getone that can use sperate channels to powere each speaker inteh front.  on channel for each tweeter or woofer.  (so a 4 channel or 6 channel for he fornt.

in my car I have a pioneer touch screen dvd player with ipod and blue tooth.  i want3ed a big screen and ipod and preamp outpurts.  

old 35x4  alpine v12 maybe 15 years old.

stock fronts speakers the passat had separates (i have  some really nice ones in abox that i havent gottenaround to installing)

old polk 12 inch sub in a ver small truck box.  (14 years old)

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
1/25/18 7:58 p.m.

Almost all of the pieces have arrived, with the little amp scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Box plans have been scaled and laid out for efficient cutting. Monday should see the box cut and built. I have some rad snakeskin tolex left from an old project that should be good.

Just have left to get to the hardware store for various fasteners and some speaker wire because I can't find the roll I have.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
1/31/18 11:03 a.m.

Calling all audiophiles!

Is there a downside to using an RCA cable that is a bit too long? I don't think 12' is enough to reach from the head unit to where I am mounting the amp behind the seat and the next longer cable is 25' which I know will reach but I worry about having too long of a cable causing problems with sound quality.

Also, what is the preferred method for getting the power wire attached to a side terminal battery? I have no trouble wiring speakers but amps in cars is new territory for me.

Thanks!

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
2/21/18 2:44 p.m.

Head unit and amp are in. 

The deathbox did not scale down as well as I had hoped. I couldn't get the porting tuned quite right and while it was LOUD, it was loud in the wrong frequencies and didn't offer the definition I want. I decided to try the voxel instead as instructed by Superf1y. Still waiting on the port tubes to arrive but I got impatient and tossed it in the truck anyway. Had to jam a rag in the port hole but it already works and sounds pretty dang good in that little cab, and I'll finish it once the parts arrive. It fits better and sounds better and looks better so I call that a win. Thanks Superf1y!

Currently the rear speakers are disconnected and the little 4x6 dash speakers are struggling to get me what I want. Knowing that the 4x10s that fit behind the seat are overpriced and prone to distortion, I toy with the idea of putting two 4" drivers in each side instead. Tax returns just came so I may have to try it out. 

Pictures are coming. Just gotta actually get the camera out.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/26/18 4:53 p.m.

Calling all audiophiles again:

I loved the little system I put in the truck. But then life happened and the S10 was replaced with an 18 Fit. Love the car, but the stereo is only "acceptable".

Being cheap and all I thought I would start with better speakers. Been looking around on crutchfield and not sure what to do. The car has a 6.75" speaker in each door and no sub. Replacements are anywhere from $40/pair to $Trumpmoney/pair. I don't mind paying for quality, but I do know that after a certain amount the differences become less apparent. I just don't know what that price point is.

Suggestions? Thanks!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/18 5:08 p.m.

It's hard to tell as it depends a lot on the size - usually with popular sizes where the manufacturers shift a lot of product, you get more bang for your buck.

I'd probably look at the $100-$150 range, that should already make a difference. That said, make sure the car doesn't have any funny amps and that you can actually hook up "regular" speakers.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
3/7/19 11:38 a.m.

Seriously wanting to build a tube amp for home use. Would I be better to buy a kit and assemble it or find a schematic I like and source my own components? I'm no stranger to building casings and a chassis would be easy enough to DIY. Looking to spend $250+- and not needing huge power. Thanks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H653rVj9fydbppCgppvxmbsUl8a4Ey3PxmLccPZPUdwws284pBiBjpBt4CGVf7La