1 2 3 4 5
thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
12/29/15 4:48 p.m.

Used to D.C to Austin, TX in 2 days. First day was an 1,100 drive to Hope, Arkansas. Quickest I ever did it was 17 hours.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/29/15 4:49 p.m.

In 1990 I did Iowa City to the ATL in one stint once (gas/food stops only); took a short break to northern Florida and then back in the saddle to Ft. Lauderdale. Was almost 24 hours exactly.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/15 5:01 p.m.

950 miles in the penalty box, Cleveland-Tulsa. Then I did it again three days later in the opposite direction.

Getting THERE was okay, but on the way back I had to stop three or so hours from home and run through people on my phone's contact list because I could not handle driving or being awake anymore.

Two years later I tried it again, Cleveland-Omaha. Only 800 miles. This time I brought earplugs.

This year I did it again, Cleveland-Des Moines. Only 650ish miles. I had the benefit of being in a quiet, pleasant car, but was hampered by having worked nine hours. Left straight from work. That was fun, too.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/29/15 5:05 p.m.

In college I did the 1149 miles each way home to SD and back Houston most 3-day weekends. The worst though was a single trip from Pawcatuck, on the CT-RI border to Vermillion, SD and back leaving Friday after I got home and getting back for muster Monday morning. On that return trip parts of PA were an awful lot like scenes from Fantasia.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/29/15 5:30 p.m.

Most i have driven in one day was ~1460mi from San Antonio TX to Cleveland OH. I came very close to using all 24 hrs that this thread allows.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/15 5:32 p.m.

I sold a Locost chassis on eBay. The buyer drove 11 hours to Connecticut from Iowa, loaded up and headed home. He was planning to make it all the way, but only got to western Ohio and had to get a hotel room.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/29/15 5:37 p.m.

Rochester NY to Manhattan Ks in a 24' Penske FL50. 18-20 hours straight counting the stops for fuel(college and dumb).

I also did Rochester NY to Logan Utah 30+ hours in the same truck, but we had to change drivers. 65MPH governor is a bitch.

Much like that guy, only longer.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
12/29/15 5:46 p.m.

I drove from Sacramento to Detroit one Christmas with only one 4 HR sleep stop in Colorado. That was stupid, but I was 26.

More recently (4 years ago) I've done Enterprise AL to Toronto ON in 18 hrs straight. But now if the drive is more than 6 hours, I'm flying or taking a high speed train. To old for that E36 M3.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
12/29/15 5:49 p.m.

I did marble falls, tx to Cincinnati stopping for gas/ meals/ letting my two year old run around. 1,143 miles. Took right around 21 hours.

I vowed that the next trip that long will be one way.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
12/29/15 5:50 p.m.
Kylini wrote: I drove from Dallas to Phoenix back to Dallas with only a four hour stop (no sleep). It took about 32 hours and was over 2,000 miles. A lot of that trip was at the governed speed of my Intrepid.

And here I thought my Tucson to Dallas in one day was good. Turns out I'm a light-weight (which is true anyway...).

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/29/15 5:51 p.m.

IN one "day" or one 24 hour period? In one "day" we've done 1790 miles from Fishers, IN to Tucson,AZ. traded off driving. That one took us 30 hours. Since then, about 1100 miles in a single sitting is what we've tried to stay under.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
12/29/15 5:56 p.m.

Three years in a row I've come back to Dexter, Michigan from the Challenge in a single day. That's 1060 miles in my MINI Cooper.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/15 5:57 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Most i have driven in one day was ~1460mi from San Antonio TX to Cleveland OH. I came very close to using all 24 hrs that this thread allows.

When I bought the car pictured upthread, we had a 24 hour "local" U-Haul rental. My friend got it just as I was getting out of work, i met him at his house, and we took off for central Wisconsin.

I left my gloves at home. It was -5F. And the car not only would not start but it would not roll. I had brought one (1) ratchet strap and one (1) 6' come-along.

We got the trailer back in 23.5 hours.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/29/15 6:02 p.m.

1105 miles. van wert ohio to hagerstown maryland for my grandmothers funeral and back. altogether a 20 hour trip.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/29/15 6:04 p.m.

Longest ride for me was from Frederick, MD to Parkersburg, WV via Rt 340 and Rt 50 and then return. A group of us did that on our motorcycles years ago.

In a 4 wheel vehicle the longest was from Frederick to Tire Rack in South Bend, IN. About 600 miles for that one.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/15 6:06 p.m.

Deer Park NY to New Symrna Beach FL which the Google puts at 1089mi. in a Chevy box truck towing a racecar on an open trailer. Stopping for fuel and food took a solid 22 hours.

That was a long time ago. I'm only good for about 800 miles now so I end up stopping over in South Carolina on my way down now.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
12/29/15 6:08 p.m.

No huge numbers for me either but................I lived in Michigan and went to college in Iowa. I would go to school Friday morning at 7:00 am and get out at 3:30 pm. Go to work at 4:00pm. Work until 10:00pm. Car was loaded and ready to go. Hit the road, drive 500 miles all night, back when the speed limit was 55 mph I might add. Get home at 7:00 am, sleep a couple of hours and spend the rest of the day with my girlfriend, which is why I did it all in the first place. Sunday get up early and leave for school so I had time to study for the tests on Monday morning. So 1000 miles in a 48 hour period. You do things like that when you are young because it would probably kill me now. Oh ya, was it worth it?..........yes.....they were spectacular!

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
12/29/15 6:29 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Oh ya, was it worth it?..........yes.....they were spectacular!

The tests on Monday?

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
12/29/15 6:37 p.m.

Oh yeah, here's a photo I took while driving over the speed limit through Arizona. The bus blocked the camera car from ever having line of sight.

P.S.: I don't seriously speed anymore. Autocross seriously helped with that.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
12/29/15 6:38 p.m.

This summer I drove from Jackson Hole Wyoming to San Diego (1000+ miles) in one day. Lived off Chili Cheese Fritos and Mtn Dew for the last 6 hours.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/15 7:50 p.m.

according to the googles.. I did roughly a 1000 miles in one day driving from Absecon NJ to St Louis Mo.. in a 24 foot Penske truck pulling a 12 foot Uhaul trailer.. the part through WV was fun as it was all blizzard conditions

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/15 8:19 p.m.

My worse was Omaha, NE to Elko, NV in a ford super duty with a 8 x 12 flat bed on it. 1160 miles in total. I had my honda civic strapped to the back of the truck. It was purely a basic truck with only an AM radio and no AC or cruise. I think it took about 18 hours.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
12/29/15 8:20 p.m.

Longest in a 24-hour period was roughly 1150 miles, from Bowling Green, OH to some town outside of Fredericksburg, VA and back. Borrowed a Chevy Dually from one friend, and a trailer from another. Left my shop about 8am.

Made the drive down, loaded the rx7 I had bought, along with 6 spare hoods, 13 extra wheels and tires, a few fenders, a fuel-cell, a couple driveshafts and 3 extra doors. Plus a couple totes of miscellaneous parts, and a spare exhaust and cool-suit system.

Once loaded, made the trip home, which included freezing rain on the PA Turnpike. Got home at 8:30am the next day, so I missed my goal for the trip by 30 minutes.

If the dually had been diesel, I could have shaved quite a bit of time off, but it was a 454 Chevy. Fuel stops killed me!!!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/15 8:46 p.m.

I did ~1050 miles earlier this year from home to Denver in a single day, with a total of 4101 miles that week. I did a straight-through drive from home to Naples, FL 12-years ago, that was ~1200 miles in a single day.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/29/15 9:05 p.m.

Something around 650. A day trip to Northborough, MA to look around the area when I was looking to transfer.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HlxO5N4R9rOCWFPDLGBaEnKFBvG52FYWuuH509VCoIFCiTHo1c4kNHAyatMSKfOn