1 2 3 4 5
MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/29/15 9:26 p.m.

Don't really remember the longest trip alone. If we are counting two person trips my Wife and I have done Gainesville-Connecticut-Gainesville and Gainesville-PA-Gainesville non stop.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/15 9:41 p.m.

I was wrong.. two yeas ago I moved my father from Palm Harbor Florida to Absecon NJ. According to google, just over 1200 miles as I stayed off of 95 and kept to the coastal routes of 17 and 13.

Did it in a small Uhaul Van/box. Was not a fun trip

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
12/29/15 9:57 p.m.

About 1200 miles in a 240 Z bringing it from CT to Tom Condon in Kansas City who played for the Chiefs. Dad had bought a new 280 Z, gave his old 260 Z to eldest son who gave his old 240 to younger brother the ball player. Drove the car out, stayed with the team for a week during pre-season, and flew back to CT.

Desy
Desy New Reader
12/29/15 10:08 p.m.

Best I did was about 900 miles one way. Drove from Cincinnati to Baxter Springs Kansas. Took my first gen Scion tC out to experience the old american way. Traveling on RT. 66. (A must) People out that way were a little baffled to find that I drove from Cincinnati just to see and drive a road. That made me sad, that they didn't realize how important and historic that road is.

My tc by DESY photowerks, on Flickr

allen_m
allen_m New Reader
12/29/15 10:40 p.m.

1100 miles December '13, This looks like a day trip to Rapid City S.D., Sturgis S.D. Spearfish S.D. Hulett Wy., Gillette Wy. New Castle Wy. and Custer S.D. then home.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
12/29/15 10:54 p.m.

I've done Vegas to Reno and back in one day; bought a couple of motorcycles from a buddy who was in dire straights, 962 miles round trip, fifteen hours of driving mostly because it's two lane road 90% of the way.

Longest days were when we worked Rim of The World Rally; we'd leave Las Vegas at 6 a.m drive to Palmdale, work tech inspection, then drive up to our stage work that and head home around midnight and usually arrive home at about 3:30 a.m.

I'll think nothing of zipping down to Southern California and back to pick up parts; 500-600 miles round trip. The most recent run was for a close ratio gearbox for the Datsun.

Tom

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
12/29/15 11:25 p.m.

Google says it's 1,416 miles from Tempe, Arizona to Lincoln, Nebraska. I solo'd it in 24.5 hours. I was (obviously) younger and dumber and will not ever try to exceed that record.

The even dumber part was I left at 11:30 PM after being up since 7:00 AM for a college final. Total time awake was approximately forty hours. Kids, don't ever, ever, ever, no, not ever, try this yourself.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/30/15 12:20 a.m.

1200 miles in 17 hours. Colstrip, MT to McHenry, IL.

I've done a 500 mile trip from McHenry to Prarie Du Chien, WI on the bike on a day trip. Bare in mind the Murdercycle is a sub-200cc bike.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/30/15 12:40 a.m.

I did the Atlanta to Miami drive with only a couple stops for gas, Google says thats ~660 miles. That was a long drive.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
12/30/15 4:57 a.m.

1330 from Sturgis SD to London Ontario last spring. Solo non-stop in the FRS. I can now say that the seats are not as comfortable as the Miata seats cause I have done similar runs in a 1990 Miata and my ass was not as sore.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/15 5:56 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: Google says it's 1,416 miles from Tempe, Arizona to Lincoln, Nebraska. I solo'd it in 24.5 hours. I was (obviously) younger and dumber and will not ever try to exceed that record. The even dumber part was I left at 11:30 PM after being up since 7:00 AM for a college final. Total time awake was approximately forty hours. Kids, don't ever, ever, ever, no, not ever, try this yourself.

Knew a girl who flew in from Seattle for college here in Ohio. Her friend, from the same town and going to the same college, drove straight across in one shot, no stopping. IIRC he spent 40 hours driving.

He also said "never again"

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
12/30/15 6:19 a.m.

In reply to T.J.: A few times during the late 60's I'd turn in 2000 plus days. I was in the Navy and Could get from San Diego to Balsam Lake Wisconsin in less than a day and a half.. The last time I did so I got stopped by a Highway patrol clocked at 105 MPH.. Believe it or not, not only did I not get a ticket, I got cleared through the California Border and warned about a speed trap near Flagstaff Arizona the officer couldn't clear me past..

Now days heading to San Diego I'll only get about 1200-1400 miles before I need to pull over at a roadside rest for a few hours.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
12/30/15 6:36 a.m.

Not really a distance but a time. Indy to north suburbs of Chicago 1 hr 45 min. Had to slow down to 80 on the skyway. Sunday night 79 Malibu 327 turbo 350 2.20 rear gear. Only used 1\2 tank. Normally a 4hr trip. I was 19. I have done the trip to gainsville in one sitting regularly.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
12/30/15 6:44 a.m.

I've done Cape Cod to Road Atlanta more times than I can count. Worst was one weekend in April. Worked all day Thursday, started driving around 6pm. Got to the track just in time to tech the car Friday night. Left for home during the quite time right after the first race on Sunday morning and got home just in time for a 7AM meeting at the job site on Monday. Still had the trailer attached to the back of my truck on the job all day Monday. When I left Atlanta it was 90*. Started snowing in Ct. around 3AM and never got above freezing while I was doing underground work on Monday back home. Lucky for me I'm one of those rare individuals that doesn't sleep much anyway. For those of you that have never been to Road Atlanta, the track goes quite for church service every Sunday between the first and second race. Makes loading a non running race car a real PITA. One way is roughly 1100 miles and takes around 21 hours or two full tanks of fuel plus a splash in the diesel F350.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/30/15 7:06 a.m.

When my grandparents lived near Atlanta, I did non-stop drives from Philly and back a few times. About 900 miles each way. The worst was when they were selling the house and my mother and I left Friday night (so as to get through DC before traffic), arrived Sat morning, loaded up my Toyota pick-up, got some amount of sleep, then left Sunday afternoon, arriving back in PA Monday morning. My mother can't drive a manual transmission and the truck didn't have cruise control. Even at 20, it took me awhile to recover from that trip and I've avoided long drives ever since.

Right now, the worst are the occasional 4-6+ hour drive home on Sunday after my race run. The distance isn't the problem as much as being exhausted from two days of racing.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/30/15 7:26 a.m.

We did a ~1000 miles from Appleton, WI to Miles City, MT through North Dakota after working a full day... with a 8 month old boy. That was Friday night to Saturday morning. Spent Saturday/Sunday with the wife's family. Got up before the sun Monday morning and drove through South Dakota to get back home to Appleton, another 1000 miles. The 2014 Grand Cherokee will stay in 7th gear (out of 8) when you have the cruise set above 80 mph or so.

Back in 2003, a buddy and I did the cheapest spring break we could think of; we drove my '91 Jetta GLI from Appleton before sun up, and made it to the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. Slept in a wayside that had a guard on duty, and in the morning made it to Pensacola. We met three girls from Wisconsin and little else, so around lunch we left and came back home. Found another wayside with a guard in northern Mississippi and slept that night. Made it home the next day.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/30/15 7:50 a.m.

Does it count if it was two drivers? After we got married our honeymoon was a cross-country roadtrip, to CA and back in 2 weeks. First leg was from eastern PA to Jefferson City MO, we picked up US Rt. 50 in VA but generally were just making time across the states we'd been to before. Left around 5pm, hit Cincinatti in the wee hours of the morning, made jefferson city around 3pm the next day. 1100 miles, a bit under 22 hours, avg speed a tick over 50 mph including stops. Keep in mind the speed limit was only 50-55 for most of it, plus stoplights.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
12/30/15 8:09 a.m.

right at 1000 miles all in one state Del Rio, Texas ---> Kilgore ----> Amarillo

Raze
Raze UltraDork
12/30/15 8:10 a.m.

1050, Atlanta to CT, made the run 20 times at least, it's a solid 17 hour trip.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/30/15 8:19 a.m.

I did 1300 from San Antonio, TX to Mission Viejo, CA in a single run. Just stopped for fuel.
This was after doing 900 miles from Tallahassee, FL to San Antonio, TX and an 8 hour rest at a hotel.
I slept pretty good for nearly a day after all of that. I was a little worried running across the southern border area since the trunk of the car was filled with parts from a project car and the tail was really low, like maybe I was hiding something really heavy in the trunk...
All told I drove that route twice in about ten days. 4400 miles, 72 hours worth of driving.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
12/30/15 8:44 a.m.

I find 500 miles a day solo is the most I enjoy. I've done a lot of 650-750 solo days but don't enjoy it much. Many 1000 mile trips from Kentucky to Cape Cod sharing driving.

Longest trip in one sitting was in college a group of four of us drove from Amherst, MA to Key Largo, FL in one shot (1,500+) miles for spring break. With all our camping and SCUBA gear. In a 1985 Subaru wagon (65? h.p.). The trip back, sandy and sunburned, got real old.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/30/15 9:25 a.m.

lots of outliers here ... I'm way behind in miles driven in a day ....

while stationed in Norfolk, I'd make the trip home, to Asheville ... ~ 500 mi

and I've made the trip to Daytona for the Rolex many times ~ 600 mi

and I've made the drive to Miami a couple of times ... ~800 mi

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/30/15 9:42 a.m.

As the only driver, the longest 1-day trip I've driven was about 740 miles, from Roswell, GA to home in Delaware after a fly-n-drive to buy a Neon ACR. I had company, but he didn't drive.

Longest 1-day trip I've driven with a co-driver was about 900 miles, from St. Louis to the rural Eastern Shore of Maryland, for a holiday. I drove about 2/3 of that trip and DW drove the rest.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/15 9:44 a.m.

Drove Knoxville TN to Key West and back to Key Largo in one day (22hr.) Towed Knoxville to Sebring in the dark, through the worst rain I've ever experienced, and the trailer lights failed. Now I feel like I've reached the station in life where I can handle a $99 hotel room and continental breakfast. There is no worse feeling than trucking through the 3am-6am shift, trying to stay alert.

JimS
JimS New Reader
12/30/15 10:12 a.m.

Ormond Beach Floroda to Gaithersburg Md. Many trips from Gaithersburg to New Bedford Ma. Not real long but many trips with kids in diapers in Ford Maverick and Merc Capri. Seemed very long.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MPiAZ9gUMtNqicD0B1mKmgRz2mpgL2u3rAt1D190IFksPWa7CbpC4trq2ZoG12We