1 2 3 4 5
car39
car39 HalfDork
12/30/15 10:15 a.m.

Waterbury Connecticut to Surfside Beach SC. Over 40 times round trip. I finally gave up and moved there.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
12/30/15 10:17 a.m.

When I was in 1st grade, my parents decided to go to Florida or spring break since my dad had a client there for his new business.

They loaded 4 children under 12 into a VW camper van and drove straight from Jackson MI to Tallahassee FL in one day. My mother had packed food for the day so only stops were for fuel. I don't remember how long it took. But parents rarely went more than 60mph for any sustained distance. I was so happy when it was over.

That was the first of many trips like that. I have clear memories of my legs going numb from sitting in one position for too long. I remember my bladder or bowls aching and begging to stop at the next rest area.

As an adult, road trips have always been about giving myself plenty of time to stop as often I feel like along the the way.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/30/15 10:29 a.m.

Easily one of the dumbest things I did was 1,425 in under 20 hours.

I was shakin like a leaf and heart was racing uncontrollably when I rolled in. I picked up (and was) a basket case.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/30/15 10:58 a.m.

My elderly Grandparents, Vern and Mary (who passed years back), used to drive from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio to see us in Atlanta, Georgia in 1 day. This scared the crap out of us 'cause we knew their routine. The only time I remember my Dad drinking was waiting for them to arrive.

Now 700 miles for 80 years olds in a big Buick may not be really impressive, but Vern was adamant about arriving ASAP and taking an afternoon nap every day.

At some point he would tell Mary its time, and set the cruise control, and Mary would slide closer to Vern, take the wheel from the center/passenger seat. Vern was still sitting in the drivers seat, but asleep. If Mary saw something ahead she need help with she would wake him back up.

It is nuts. You cannot imagine it from our perspective. They must have made 10 trips over the years. Their kids (my Dad and Aunts) talked to them till they were blue, but Vern and Mary saw nothing wrong with "nap time".

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
12/30/15 11:02 a.m.

I wonder if reading this thread would give a DOT official diarrhea?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/30/15 11:22 a.m.

I drove from Orlando, FL back up to Chicago, IL in one go. ~1131 miles in a little over 18 hours. I had a fractured my right foot and badly sprained my ankle 6 days prior. I did have a passenger, but I didn't let him drive as he did not have insurance or a license.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/30/15 11:36 a.m.

940 miles from Chapel Hill, NC to Bangor, Me. In a 1969 Chevy van with a 250-inch straight six and three-on-the-tree. With a full live music sound system in the back (I was the sound guy). We left immediately after a gig in Chapel Hill, stopped for 30 mins at the house in Newton, MA to pick up some clean clothes, and completed the drive to Bangor, arriving about 90 minutes before we were scheduled to go on.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
12/30/15 12:16 p.m.

Philly suburbs to St. Augustine FL or points further south. Family used to make the trip several times a year for many many years (Parents would split driving shifts). Approx 16-18hrs. Hadn't made that same trip again until last year. I'm usually good for 6ish hrs at a time before needing a bit of a break so gas/food stops often turn into a quick nap.

May or may not do it this February depending on a conference in Charlotte which I may have to attend.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
12/30/15 12:48 p.m.

Great thread. 1,045 miles driving a 35' Coachman Mirada class A with a 20' Car hauler and my 944 on the back of it. Started at Pigeon Forge, TN at 4am, and drove pretty much straight through except for gas and caffeine stops, dropping friends off along the way. Got home at midnight and slept for the entire next day. So nerve-wracking being that long and susceptable to wind, which was awful that day. My hands hurt just thinking about it.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
12/30/15 1:39 p.m.

Most I think I've done on my own, is Lafayette, IN to Des Moines and back in a day, so ~880 miles round trip. Did that twice a couple weeks apart.

Most I've done in a DOT truck was straight through from OKC, OK to Lafayette ~775 MI, took about 13 hours. That was before the safe harbor rule went into effect so that day I was on violation by 2 hours.

I've done Lafayette to Detroit and back in the same day a bunch of times.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
12/30/15 2:44 p.m.

900 miles - Charlottetown, PEI - Kingston, ON (Canada)

Started at 5:30 pm. The sun came up around Montreal. Average speed was low. Those are some interesting roads at night with moose about!

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
12/31/15 3:02 p.m.

Las Vegas to West Vancouver BC, non-stop except to fill gas tank and drain driver tank. ~1200 miles.

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/31/15 3:16 p.m.

I used to do Granville, OH to Delray Beach, FL straight through in my '84 Scirocco when I was in college. About 1,100 miles, would only stop for gas, smokes, and Big Macs.

I was always completely shot when I arrived and would need at least a day of sleep to recover. Age and wisdom have taught me how reckless and irresponsible that was.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
12/31/15 3:39 p.m.

About 35 years ago I drove a 6 cylinder Ford Granada from Brandon, Manitoba to just east of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario in one go. That's just over 1000 miles and was virtually all 2 lane highway at that time.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/31/15 7:57 p.m.

2014, We drove 1240 miles to Tulsa, Oklahoma for Drag Week. We ran the 1960 Stude Gasser all 1295.2 miles between all the tracks, hotel, fuel stops, food, etc.. Friday of Drag Week was delayed to Saturday. Paula and I got up on Saturday at 5 am, breakfast at 6, track at 7, finished our runs and loaded, award ceremony was at 9 pm, ceremony ended at 11 pm, in the truck at 11:10pm....22.5 hours later we were at the house 1240 miles towing the trailer. At the house at 9:30pm, unloaded, bed by 11...6 hours later, we're working on the Sunbird getting it ready for the Challenge...

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/31/15 8:10 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Don't really remember the longest trip alone. If we are counting two person trips my Wife and I have done Gainesville-Connecticut-Gainesville and Gainesville-PA-Gainesville non stop.

I remember that trip

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/31/15 8:27 p.m.

Multiple efforts but the trip to Sebring for the 12 hour, picking up several GRMers along the way was a rough one, we left around 10 pm and were at the track 22 hours later after picking up 9 people.

If it was direct it was 1136 miles, but we had several detours adding between 100 and 200 extra miles.

24 hours later we were headed back and drove straight through again

photo bus5.jpg

Mongo rulez

The Canadian
The Canadian Reader
12/31/15 9:12 p.m.

2 summers ago I did, 700 miles with a 9 month old is a car without AC mid July.

outasite
outasite Reader
12/31/15 9:20 p.m.

In the old days (55 mph speed limit strictly enforced) so speed was under 60: Hamilton, NJ to Northwest Iowa (stopped for 2-3 hr nap) Missoula, Montana to St Cloud MN solo non stop Colorado Springs to St Cloud solo non stop

These days I am limited by wife's attitude after 8 hours on the road.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/31/15 9:25 p.m.

In October 1999 I drove a 1974 $700 Plymouth Fury from LA to NW Ohio in 42 hours, I rested for a total of 8 hours and drove 2250 miles, but it wasn't strictly one day.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
1/1/16 11:31 a.m.

1565 km (970 miles) in May 2012. Marathon Ontario to Regina Sask. Silverado 2500 6.0 gasser with a 30ft camping trailer behind. Day 2 of 3 day trip home from RV Wholesale dealer in Lakeview Ohio. Long day. Truck was comfy. Manitoba is the suckiest place on earth to drive across. Way worse than Saskatchewan... Ontario is pretty.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/2/16 7:16 a.m.

A little more than 1,100 miles in 18 hours. Took my then girlfriend and her friend to see friends in Iowa from New Jersey in my RSX. Neither of them could drive stick so it was all me. Miserable.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
1/2/16 4:52 p.m.

Denver, Co. to Wayne, NJ- about 1800 miles with a short nap in Indiana . I must have been crazy!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
1/2/16 5:01 p.m.

800 miles in 114 degree heat to and back from Las Vegas in a Prowler. I was delirious by the end of it.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/4/16 2:29 a.m.

Atlanta, GA to Phoenix, AZ. Illegally for a major freight carrier. Pills were probably involved. Yes, I know that's how people get killed. Technicaly not one day though.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FS7kdPQ05PdCg8bUWgTrjd9jWQMauowtwEkEGu9y5RIXh7igc7g6wSiRK4qG8SgL