nedc
nedc Reader
4/13/19 7:02 a.m.

I recently changed the sparkplugs on my daughter's 2006 BMW 325I that I have maintained for years. I keep a record of everything that I do to the car and realized that I had last changed the plugs at 80K miles seven years ago...and it now had 184K-oops! The old plugs were some Autolite plats and the new are NGK iridiums. The car ran fine and the old plugs looked OK but had pretty large gaps. One or two did not want to come out even though I had used antiseize. Just wondering what the record might be for longest spark plug interval among GRMers. My neighbor has a 2001 Chevy Silverado and says the plugs are original at over 200K miles. Not sure if I believe him or not. LOL

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/19 7:09 a.m.

The 2012 Cruze hit 128k on the OE plugs. Changed them out but mileage and performance remained exactly the same.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/19 7:15 a.m.

I absolutely believe your neighbor.  Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to vehicular longevity.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/13/19 7:39 a.m.

I have 200k on the ones in my truck. At this point it's an experiment. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/19 7:51 a.m.

Traded my Avalanche in with 156k on the originals.

nedc
nedc Reader
4/13/19 7:51 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I have 200k on the ones in my truck. At this point it's an experiment. 

Wow. Wonder if they would even come out (in one piece)? I guess 104K miles wasn't as extreme as I thought...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/13/19 8:02 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the first recommended plug change on lots of vehicles is in the 196,000km range.

I'm quite confident half the modern vehicles in the world get to the junkyard on the original plugs now. 

I'm positive there is a reasonably significant number that get a transmission before spark plugs.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/19 8:23 a.m.

My brother has a Scion tC with 270k miles. Stock plugs and no misses. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/13/19 9:51 a.m.

My Mazda 5 has 165k on it, new plugs are in a drawer for someday when it needs a coil.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/19 9:56 a.m.

"How come my coils keep failing?"

outasite
outasite HalfDork
4/13/19 9:47 p.m.

TOYOTA suggests changing the Tacoma V6 plugs at 30,000 miles. Nothing special and cheap. I do it.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/14/19 8:06 a.m.

My sister's 4.8 LS Silverado has 235k miles on the OG plugs, wires, and coils. I keep harping on her to let me pull it into my bay for a few hours of maintenance but she continues to refuse. 

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
4/14/19 10:33 p.m.

I bought new plugs at 132,000 miles along with a bunch of other stuff and spent a day just pampering the beast. Well, Along about 230,000 miles I felt it was time again so I bought the needed stuff and placed it in the garage. Lo and behold, I found the plugs I bought at 132K sitting on the shelf! Plug gap was larger than my cheap gapping disc would measure and it was still running fine! Again new plugs at 380K and they looked fine!

Bruce

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/14/19 10:40 p.m.

I bought a 220k mile Lexus ls400 with a broken timing belt. All the parts I pulled were original 1992 date coded Toyota parts. I’m reasonably sure nothing had been done to that engine but oil changes in 220k miles. I’m not even sure those were done I just assume so. The plugs and wires were definitely original. 

The timing belt didn’t fail by itself either - the water pump seized and melted the teeth off the belt with heat. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/15/19 2:38 a.m.

The autolites I pulled out of the Mustang were to the point the end of the electrodes were worn round and you could tell some length was missing. It barely wanted to run when I limped it to a buddy's house after work. 8 new NGKs did wonders on that day.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/15/19 6:00 a.m.
Knurled. said:

"How come my coils keep failing?"

What's super weird is I haven't lost a coil yet either. I figured that I'd replace everything once one does. I decided that about 100k miles ago. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/15/19 7:16 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

When I worked at 2 different chain parts houses for 3 years I saw a lot of customers with neglected LSs and didn't sell that many coils. So you might be waiting a while.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/15/19 7:44 a.m.

LS truck coils are legendary for being durable. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
4/15/19 7:48 a.m.

I see some others have topped mine, but when I sold my '91 Dakota (I bought new) in '05 it had a tick over 250k on it with the original plugs, wires and clutch.

Great little truck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t3pF8R58Xt5LrMsVsRYoYXBjxDeB52QNG6YhOXLKs3j7ooLOI2xTXwCGA5RAEbI1