1 2
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/27/22 9:49 a.m.

I once offered a well used 16v cylinder head in straight trade for an 80 Scirocco roller. So, maybe the guy that accepted this as a reasonable trade should post here cool

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/27/22 11:08 a.m.

Was selling a Sprinter about a decade ago. Guy contacts me from several states away, the typical "let me send you a check, sight unseen" scam. 

I hadn't had much interest in it at that point so I figure, what the heck, let's see how this plays out. I tell him, very bluntly, that I'm sitting on the car for 30 days after I deposit the check, he seems oddly fine with it.  He sends the check, it clears, weeks later the funds haven't bounced.

Only thing unusual is that at this point, I have the van, the keys, the title, and all of the guy's money in my account. He barely knows my name, doesn't even have my phone number and has never seen the van. It was an "oooohh, this is how people get scammed" moment. Two weeks later he flys in to pick it up and everything goes smoothly, but that could have ended very badly for him if I wasn't a halfway decent person.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/22 12:52 p.m.

i had a really sketchy kid with a gold tooth ask if he could rent the car for a week before he bought to make sure he liked it.

I didn't want my car in an impound lot as evidence after a drug deal or a bank robbery, so I declined.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/22 3:23 p.m.

I was offered a guided fishing trip off of the Outer Banks as partial payment on a car, but I wasn't available during the openings the guide had available or I may have taken it.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/27/22 3:52 p.m.

I listed a $2500 motorcycle for sale and got offered a 2JZ turbo kit. I just so happened to have a N/A 2JZ project car. Ultimately I didn't take the deal but we're friends now.

SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
10/28/22 10:43 a.m.

I took a new in the box Remington 45 on trade for a SPG parts car that needed to leave. Never took it out of the box. Traded it for a 5.7 Vortec and 4L60 for my sons project V8 S15 Jimmy.  Son is fighting with the blown up LT1 that is in there. Apparently there is much to deal with on a V8 swapped 4WD S15 Jimmy. He'll get it.    

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
10/28/22 10:52 a.m.

I am currently trying to sell a Ford Model T.  I wish I would be offered guns.  So far it's been a generator, welder, and a Harley.  What's most annoying is the first sentence in my ad is "If it's listed, it's available."  Almost every response has been "Is it available" with no other questions and then they disappear.

For the record, if anyone here has guns to trade for a Model T, yes, I'm interested.  And yes, it's still available.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/22 12:08 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

For the record, if anyone here has guns to trade for a Model T, yes, I'm interested.  And yes, it's still available.

Tell me you don't live in California or New York without directly saying you don't live in California or New York.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/28/22 12:43 p.m.

I forgot a story. I did have a guy that stood me up for a car purchase years ago. We had agreed to meet super early, relatively far away and the guy no-showed. I was pretty upset. He agreed to meet at my house to buy the car, and brought a case of tracer ammo as an apology. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/28/22 4:14 p.m.

Swapped a rusty Austin Cambridge once for a bottle of 1982 Ch. Mouton Rothschild.  Turned out the bastard had kept it under the radiator or somewhere equally damaging.  Didn't feel bad when the car broke in half (it was a parts for plonk deal).

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
10/28/22 4:28 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
Apis Mellifera said:

Tell me you don't live in California or New York without directly saying you don't live in California or New York.

I almost mentioned that I'd also accept a real Mini, livestock or a 351 Windsor and now wonder how I might be further geographically profiled with that information.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/29/22 6:29 p.m.

All pretty good. Here's mine. I was selling a Buick Grand National and I had a very interested buyer.  Not a weird dude or anything. Middle aged, intelligent.  However he thought the asking price was too high. I told him that multiple people were interested at my price and if they all fell through I would consider other offers. He said that if he bought it he was going to have a vinyl top installed on it.  If I agreed to have it installed for him he would take it at my asking price. Huh???????!!!!!!! What??????? Thought he was kidding. Nope, not kidding. Sold it at my asking price to someone else.

Having said all that, I am not a Buick GN expert so I don't know if they were even available with them or not from the factory. I have never seen a GN with a vinyl top but I think the Regal T types which were similar could be had with that half a vinyl roof thingy. If anybody knows chime in. Just curious. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/29/22 8:01 p.m.

Had a guy offer me a rusty a/f classic mini plus cash on a trade for my truck.

After a bit of conversation, it became evident that he wanted ME to give HIM cash plus my truck for his clapped out E36 M3box.

Lol, nope.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/29/22 9:01 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Had a guy offer me a rusty a/f classic mini plus cash on a trade for my truck.

After a bit of conversation, it became evident that he wanted ME to give HIM cash plus my truck for his clapped out E36 M3box.

Lol, nope.

Yep, that made me chuckle.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
10/30/22 2:09 p.m.

I wasn't directly involved in the deal, but the guy I bought my old Boxster from (really high mileage for a Porsche, so that scared a lot people off) traded a bunch of reloading equipment and supplies and little bit of cash for the car. When I bought it from him (he was my boss, so the whole thing was somewhat fraught with peril smiley), I traded two motorcycles and cash for it.

Fortunately, I sold it to a guy for just cash. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
10/30/22 4:31 p.m.

I've done a lot of weird trades over the years, here's a couple.

When moving from CT to FL I wanted to reduce the fleet of cars I needed to trailer. So I listed a bunch of cars figuring I'd remove unsold listings when I'd sold off enough. I got an offer for my '66 Nova SS which was an old school style back half tubed car with a high winding 327 backed by a trans braked T-400 and narrowed rear with really high gearing. I took an offer to take a wide body '86 Carrera and the labor to shoot paint on an '81 Malibu I wanted in paint before the move which I didn't have time for myself although I'd completed the bodywork. The buyer worked in a paint shop at a local dealership.  Pics of the '66 and when the buyer delivered the Porsche and painted Malibu in trade. 

[URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/NOTATA/67%20Duece%20Coupe/.highres/MVC-013F.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds][/URL]

[URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/NOTATA/86%20Porsche%20Widebody/.highres/86PorscheWidebodyConv010.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds][/URL]

At about the same time I traded a young guy his labor for a '74 Camaro bracket car I also didn't want to trailer to FL. I knew his relatives. He went on a moving trip to FL with me driving one of my tow rigs with a 24' enclosed while I drove a different tow rig with 24' enclosed.  Helped pack and unpack my personal house stuff, transmissions, rear ends, engines, and trailered cars. He also provided labor helping with home repairs and what not at the FL house for a week or so and then we both drove the rigs back to CT. He trailered the Camaro home, drove it a couple times on his street, decided it was to fast for him and parked it in a barn or something. As far as I know it still sits there and it's been 12-13 years. Cragar wheels on the car in pics are just rollers, I kept the expensive wheels. Pic of the Camaro and him helping sort through car stuff we'd unpacked.

[URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/NOTATA/74%20CAMARO/.highres/MVC-023F.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds][/URL]

[URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/NOTATA/66%20Mustang/.highres/66Mustang003.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds][/URL]

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
10/30/22 10:00 p.m.

I traded a small frame .45 pistol to a buddy for a fairly clean bronco 2. This was about 20 years ago while I was stationed in Gulf Port Mississippi so it was super redneck. I drove that bronco for a year before driving it home (PA) and giving it to my sister who drove it atleast another year.

I did burn up my favorite Social Distortion tee shirt putting out a engine fire as the ignition module was bad but I fixed after.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects New Reader
10/31/22 1:48 a.m.

I had someone offer to trade me unmounted diamonds for a running RX-7 parts car I was selling. He claimed they were worth 5-6 time what I was asking for the car. I jokingly said that if he'd meet me at a local diamond buyer to confirm that they were real, and in fact worth a lot more than I was asking, he had a deal. I never expected to hear anything back.

I was stunned when the guy agreed, and followed through with the deal. Everything was on the level, and I walked out with Almost $3K in cash for a parts car I was asking $500 for.

I asked why he didn't just sell the diamonds and pay me the asking price? He said it hadn't occurred to him until after he'd agreed to the terms. I felt kinda bad and gave him the difference (minus gas money for driving into town) because I just couldn't be that big a jerk to a dumb kid who'd actually had the integrity to follow through on a verbal deal, 'because he said he would'.

Almost 20 years later and we still hang out on occasion. He's still kinda prone to dumb deals, I still don't take unverified diamonds in trade.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CxPI9HI2Vkcg08JN9PM9yZ3dlNEMN2LmFDtJwUOHIRn7nMKEhLDCI8gWnDu2KEjF